Roy Dotrice, GOT audiobook narrator, says George R. R. Martin has told him he's got another book nearly ready

Mark Antony

I'd take Dotrice's quote with a mild grain of salt but I'm optimistic that the book will be out in late 2014. GRRM cleared his plate of other projects back in June leaving only Winds. The biggest reason of all I believe it'll be out in 2014 is that unlike in the past, he has the HBO show catching up on him and he knows it. TWOW needs to come out/be finished in 2014 if GRRM hopes to stay ahead of the show, and I think he is legitimately scared that the show will surpass him and is determined to prevent it.

They made D&E audios

They did? Do you have any details, would love to have them.

Good news that the books are "nearly" ready. Although I was hoping for a differenct reader this time. Roy a decent job on the first three books but the last two weren't great. Still if it is him at least we have an audio version.

Really?

One step closer, then...

One of the interesting details from the Q&A after is the fact the audiobook of Dangerous Women willl feature some familiar voices, including Iain Glen (who’ll be reading “The Princess and the Queen”) and Sophie Turner (as well as Jonathan Frakes, for those Star Trek buffs).

link

Im still annoyed with Roy Dotrice. FFC & DwD audiobooks both featured changed voices for Dany and Littlefinger - both sound like they have only ever lived in flea bottom and kinda ruined the audio experience for me. Why did he change their voices!? Just lazy. Not hard to listen to a previous episode to check voices... And for such major characters too.

Im still annoyed with Roy Dotrice. FFC & DwD audiobooks both featured changed voices for Dany and Littlefinger - both sound like they have only ever lived in flea bottom and kinda ruined the audio experience for me. Why did he change their voices!? Just lazy. Not hard to listen to a previous episode to check voices... And for such major characters too.

True, but if was a long gap and he had also been seriously ill. He could have listened back I know but most are still done well. Victarion's Harry H Corbett cockney mixed with Australian is a particular joy.

Dany's Irish witch/former Osha voice is difficult to get past.

As for this source. Well the key to it happening depends on the following...

How long after will the Audiobook be released?

Now if it is on release date then it means Dotrice will have to be recording months ahead (last book was over 48 hours in length) so he will know when he is in to record (and it will have be done by but going to print etc.)

Or if it is released after, then I would take what he is saying with a pinch of salt.

I predicted last year it would be a 2014 release. There was a long time period between ASOS and AFFC, and a long time between AFFC and ADWD. A very long time.

GRRM didn't have any pressure on him regarding time frames for his books then, he was pretty much master of his own world so far as that went. When he decided to let HBO do their series based on his books, he became, IMO, part of a much larger world. A world that due to the huge amount of money involved, will put pressure on the people behind the story to put out more stories, and at a faster rate.

That's why I think it will be closer to 3 years instead of 6 this time around. Even that is a miracle, when you look at GRRM's schedule, the incredible amount of interviews, appearances, traveling time - I don't know how he's doing it, especially when he's involved in so many other books and things than ASOIAF. I would bet it'll either be in time for xmas sales 2014, or coincide with the 2015 series on HBO - there is NO way that the number crunchers won't take advantage of the extra sales either will give them, so it'll be one or the other.

As for this source. Well the key to it happening depends on the following...

How long after will the Audiobook be released?

Now if it is on release date then it means Dotrice will have to be recording months ahead (last book was over 48 hours in length) so he will know when he is in to record (and it will have be done by but going to print etc.)

Or if it is released after, then I would take what he is saying with a pinch of salt.

Well ADWD came out on Audible the same day the hardcover did, according to Amazon.

It's good news either way, though, since the book would have to be in the final revision that's going to be published for Dotrice to start reading, no?

Thank you. Although they aren't available in the UK yet, at least they are recorded and the UK versions could be released at some stage. Good to know.

That's why I think it will be closer to 3 years instead of 6 this time around. Even that is a miracle, when you look at GRRM's schedule, the incredible amount of interviews, appearances, traveling time - I don't know how he's doing it, especially when he's involved in so many other books and things than ASOIAF. I would bet it'll either be in time for xmas sales 2014, or coincide with the 2015 series on HBO - there is NO way that the number crunchers won't take advantage of the extra sales either will give them, so it'll be one or the other.

That last paragraph is key. When has he had time to really do all of this writing? I've heard that when he's on a roll, and I read that on this forum, that he can knock out 5pgs/day on a good day. Maybe that's his 9-5 and everything that he does at the JC Theatre is post-writing, but his schedule didn't seem to allow him to be writing too too much. He probably didn't write during November, since he was out of the country, but for December through March, he ought to be pretty free, save for the promotional stuff he needs to do for the show. Wouldn't be surprised if he wrote 1/4 of the book in those 4 months. Leaving him, hopefully a few months to finish up, a few months to edit, and all of a sudden he's done by October for a Christmas release. A boy can dream, though.

I think you can get excited. Dangerous Women's audiobook readers are announced, and Iain Glen is doing TPATQ which is pretty awesome in of itself. As for WOIAF I don't think it's really likely, would there even be an audiobook for that? Even so, I don't think that's what Roy Dotrice meant since he was talking about doing the ASOIAF books and he said 'another one'.

Archived