Roy Dotrice, GOT audiobook narrator, says George R. R. Martin has told him he's got another book nearly ready

Mark Antony

I'm actually hoping for World of Ice and Fire in early 2014 and Winds of Winter in mid 2015 and Dream of Spring in mid 2017.

:P "I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter...Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death"

Probably, but who knows. Mayhaps GRRM decided to postpone it so that he could include the She-Wolves in the books :drool: A man can dream right?

Haven't read D&E yet, and I'm disappointed for the delay but having all of them in one go will be pretty good. Hopefully this is the case.

:P "I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter...Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death"

Not where I live,Where I live Winter is merely a nuisance.

I the WOIAF might have been hoping a bit much but I think mid 2015 for TWoW is pretty reasonable.

Not where I live,Where I live Winter is merely a nuisance.

I the WOIAF might have been hoping a bit much but I think mid 2015 for TWoW is pretty reasonable.

You know what really irks me, the fact that we don't even know when TWOIAF is coming out.

Early 2014 is the date I prefer, but obviously that's not going to happen anymore :bawl: It's probably late 2014.

Still that's probably bad news for tWoW no? If tWoW would come out in mid 2015 it would go together with the D&E collection and tWOIAF would come so soon before it. Perhaps not the best choice.

However if 2015 sees the publication of the tWoW and the D&E-collection (hopefully with the She-Wolves) it will be an awesome year. Especially since we'll probably see the releases of the new tome by Patrick Rothfuss, the second avengers movie and other long expected projects.

That's going to be Nerdmaggedon right there!

GOT/ASOIAF is a machine now far beyond just books. HBO/TV reaches a far, far greater audience, GRRM himself has said this many times in interviews. As I have said before, and maintain still, we are talking about huge amounts of $ here, tens and hundreds of millions in all kinds of revenue streams. The people in charge of this, absolutely will have had serous discussions with GRRM regarding release dates, and will very likely have contracts in place with very specific times for all of this. This is what I meant earlier about GRRM no longer being complete master of his own destiny when it comes to producing books.

However if 2015 sees the publication of the tWoW and the D&E-collection (hopefully with the She-Wolves) it will be an awesome year.

The people and companies who stand to gain from all of this will have made very calculated decisions based on all kinds of projections. These projections will IMO take into account books like World of Ice and Fire, the HBO series, and GRRM's novels and novellas. This is a great quote from the previous poster, as I believe it is bang on, and a fact not lost on the companies like HBO and the publishers. The more hype they can capitalize on, and then keep the snowball rolling and getting bigger as it charges down hill, the more money they stand to make. Again, this is all calculated, and not just seat of the pants planning by a single author any longer.

Based on what I'm seeing and reading, 2015 is the absolute latest WoW could come out. GRRM at comic con this year specifically said he's under the gun to produce "faster than the 5 years the previous books took". Well, Adwd was 2011, so 5 years would be 2016, so I don't think based on this that 2014 or early 2015 is that far out of the realm of possibility. Remember GRRM produced the first 3 books in a much more rapid time table, so he does have it in him to punch out pages at a faster rate. Again though, I don't know how he's doing it with his schedule, it's absolutely insane how busy the guy is. It's very impressive at his age, it shows a vitality that his outward appearance doesn't show.

It is germany this time

Brazil can have that ugly bowl if I get the book in summer!

.......im my hammock, under my favorite chestnut tree, neglecting friends, family and job..... and readingreadingreading - that would be heaven.

I'm actually hoping for World of Ice and Fire in early 2014 and Winds of Winter in mid 2015 and Dream of Spring in mid 2017.

You know what really irks me, the fact that we don't even know when TWOIAF is coming out.

Early 2014 is the date I prefer, but obviously that's not going to happen anymore :bawl: It's probably late 2014.

Still that's probably bad news for tWoW no? If tWoW would come out in mid 2015 it would go together with the D&E collection and tWOIAF would come so soon before it. Perhaps not the best choice.

However if 2015 sees the publication of the tWoW and the D&E-collection (hopefully with the She-Wolves) it will be an awesome year. Especially since we'll probably see the releases of the new tome by Patrick Rothfuss, the second avengers movie and other long expected projects.

That's going to be Nerdmaggedon right there!

The release date for the World of Ice and Fire that is known right now is 28/10/2014. This date could be changed again, of course. But this is what is known right now.

That said, since Roy Dotrice mentioned "another one", I guess he was not speaking about the World of Ice and Fire. It could very well be that he was speaking about Winds, since the last update we've ever had was more than a year ago, when the book was 1/4 done. But that Roy says "almost done" doesn't mean we should expect the book within a few months, but more expect an announcement within 6 months, I guess.

The release date for the World of Ice and Fire that is known right now is 28/10/2014. This date could be changed again, of course. But this is what is known right now.

That said, since Roy Dotrice mentioned "another one", I guess he was not speaking about the World of Ice and Fire. It could very well be that he was speaking about Winds, since the last update we've ever had was more than a year ago, when the book was 1/4 done. But that Roy says "almost done" doesn't mean we should expect the book within a few months, but more expect an announcement within 6 months, I guess.

I agree. I think I'm probably just being a summer child (no pun intended) but I see Winds coming out in the same 2014 timeframe as Dance did in 2011.

Yeah, I know but remember that Ran said a couple of months ago in the thread dedicated to the possible release date that it could be early 2014. There is still no confirmation from publishers which date it's going to be (the projected date comes from Amazon).

But of course at this time I don't think early 2014 is still in the realm of possibilities. It's probably late 2014 as Amazon predicts.

It is germany this time

A German named Klinsman, you mean?

I do think that the idea of having HBO finish the story before him, (though he is involved with HBO so that's technically him to a great extent as well), will push these books out faster. The exactness of how that works out will be interesting to watch.

I can't quite think through all the repercussions and it's probably a bad idea... but it would be interesting to see a final season start and get ahead of the books and then the final book come out mid-season to finish the story just in time. It would drive up the TV audience because material would be truly new and it might drive book sales as well, as TV audiences want to know the end.

For HBO to put the show on hold in order to give GRRM time to complete the final book and publish it before the show can air it's last season(s) which will actually cover that book, is not possible. HBO had aging actors, and there's money involved. They can't simply wait for GRRM to keep up.

But HBO airing the story before GRRM can publish it, will, imho, decrease the number of people who watch the show. I know I would most likely wait with watching the show until the book is out, and with me, probably a lot of people will do so. So this would be unfavourable for both HBO and GRRM.

Seeing as GRRM has expressed worries about HBO catching up with him, I guess the time for extra projects is over (keep in mind that the fourth D&E is already partly written). If no extra projects are being done anymore, aDoS (and the last part of WoW) might be written more quickly.

But HBO airing the story before GRRM can publish it, will, imho, decrease the number of people who watch the show. I know I would most likely wait with watching the show until the book is out, and with me, probably a lot of people will do so. So this would be unfavourable for both HBO and GRRM.

People overrate this problem imo. I would like to read the books first, especially since D&D are busy with making a giant turd out of GoT. But if the books aren't out, I'll watch it first. There is no way to avoid spoilers in this day and age. And if I have to be spoiled I prefer it to be when I'm watching the show, instead of on FB or on a random youtube video or etc.

For HBO to put the show on hold in order to give GRRM time to complete the final book and publish it before the show can air it's last season(s) which will actually cover that book, is not possible. HBO had aging actors, and there's money involved. They can't simply wait for GRRM to keep up.

Seeing as GRRM has expressed worries about HBO catching up with him, I guess the time for extra projects is over (keep in mind that the fourth D&E is already partly written). If no extra projects are being done anymore, aDoS (and the last part of WoW) might be written more quickly.

I can sit here and say I would wait but the reality is there are too many spoilers blanketing the web and knowing GRRM has show input I would realistically probably watch.

Archived