Roy Dotrice, GOT audiobook narrator, says George R. R. Martin has told him he's got another book nearly ready

Mark Antony

It seems to me that AFFC and ADWD will probably take up three seasons total, so seasons 5-7 most likely. Then TWOW will be season 8.

2014 Season 4 (ASOS pt2)

2015 Season 5 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 1)

2016 Season 6 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 2)

2017 Season 7 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 3)

2018 Season 8 (TWOW)

2019 Season 9 (ADOS)

Or something like that. The thing is, there's a ton of source material to stretch this thing out if they need to. To me, even at 10 episodes/season it feels incredibly rushed. I don't know how non-book readers keep up with the pace and they've barely even touched on the backstory.

At any rate, if we get TWOW in 2014, which seems likely, and ADOS comes out in 2017 or 2018, it'll be fine.

No way. TWOW and ADOS are going to be ADWD-size. You can't do 3 seasons worth of ADWD and AFFC. It just makes no sense, there's not nearly enough material there to justify it. We should have the Battle of Fire by the end of S5.

S4- ASOS/AFFC/ADWD

S5- AFFC/ADWD

S6- ADWD (maybe 1-2 eps. worth)/TWOW

S7- TWOW/ADOS

S8- ADOS

Bronze Yohn was cast as well and I think someone mentioned Lady Waynwood being cast, too, so the Vale storyline will play out in season 4, too.

If the Purple Wedding really is episode 2, which it looks like, then that makes total sense. The rest of Sansa's plot after that in the book does not need to be stretched out over eight episodes. They can fit a ton of the book 4 Vale stuff in if they're so inclined.

Some plots, like Jon's, will finish up season 4 and be roughly aligned with where it was in the book. Like, episode 9 is about the Castle Black battle. But it looks like for a lot of people, like Jaime, Arya, Sansa, Bran and I'm betting Brienne, they're pushing with their 4th/5th book plots to clear space in the fifth season for other things.

It seems to me that AFFC and ADWD will probably take up three seasons total, so seasons 5-7 most likely. Then TWOW will be season 8.

2014 Season 4 (ASOS pt2)

2015 Season 5 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 1)

2016 Season 6 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 2)

2017 Season 7 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 3)

2018 Season 8 (TWOW)

2019 Season 9 (ADOS)

Or something like that. The thing is, there's a ton of source material to stretch this thing out if they need to. To me, even at 10 episodes/season it feels incredibly rushed. I don't know how non-book readers keep up with the pace and they've barely even touched on the backstory.

At any rate, if we get TWOW in 2014, which seems likely, and ADOS comes out in 2017 or 2018, it'll be fine.

Three seasons for AFFC/ADWD? Two seasons off book 4 and 5 would be risky (in terms of how much momentum they'll be able to maintain), three would be suicide.

I'm in the camp that loves book 4 and 5, but I'd take a different view if I was running a TV series. A lot of the TV audience simply would not stick around for 3 seasons of that.

If the Purple Wedding really is episode 2, which it looks like, then that makes total sense. The rest of Sansa's plot after that in the book does not need to be stretched out over eight episodes. They can fit a ton of the book 4 Vale stuff in if they're so inclined.

Some plots, like Jon's, will finish up season 4 and be roughly aligned with where it was in the book. Like, episode 9 is about the Castle Black battle. But it looks like for a lot of people, like Jaime, Arya, Sansa, Bran and I'm betting Brienne, they're pushing with their 4th/5th book plots to clear space in the fifth season for other things.

I think that pushing too far into Sansa's AFFC material would be a mistake because she doesn't have very much of that either. Which means you risk having to push too far into her TWOW material and so on and so forth, which may put her out of sync with everyone else. But of course it depends on how much TWOW material she has. If she has a lot of chapters they could of course go:

S4: ASOS/AFFC

S5: TWOW part 1

S6: TWOW part 2

And of course there's the fact that Lysa's death, and the reveal that LF was behind everything is perfect for episode 10. So imo they'll simply be sowing the seeds of the Lord's Declarant plotline this season, and then move into it fully (and flesh it out next season.). So maybe something like:

E1: Reintroduction of Ser Dontos.

E2: Purple Wedding.

E3: Escape from KL immediately after PW and meeting LF.

E4: Absent

E5: Arrival at the Vale, exposition on who was behind the PW. Lysa's arrival.

E6: Lysa and LF's wedding. Lysa/Sansa scene. Introduction to the Royces and Marillion 2.0

E7: Arrival at the Eyrie, setting up some confrontation between LF and Bronze Yohn. Marillion 2.0 comes onto Sansa.

E8: Absent

E9: Absent

E10: Snow Castle Scene, Lysa's death.

Three seasons for AFFC/ADWD? Two seasons off book 4 and 5 would be risky (in terms of how much momentum they'll be able to maintain), three would be suicide.

I'm in the camp that loves book 4 and 5, but I'd take a different view if I was running a TV series. A lot of the TV audience simply would not stick around for 3 seasons of that.

I love Feast and Dance too but IMO its a one season thing too, and that is not missing out much at all. My reasoning is that what takes a whole chapter in the novel including thoughts, reactions etc takes about 5 minutes maximum on screen. Take Tyrion at the Bridge of Dream, its a full chapter of text but that could all be over within one scene in the TV show. And Brienne (who's storyline will probably be changed slightly to cut 'irrelevant' charactsrs such as Septon Meribald) whether you likr her or hate her does an awful lotbof travelling, which can be told pretty quickly on screen. So basically I think Dance and Feast will be told thoroughly in 1 full season with little tidbits (e.g. Hizdhar, Bloodraven) spilling into the previous and following season.

Why do you guys think ADWD/AFFC will be so many seasons? A LOT of it is traveling, world building, and minor events, which can easily be cut, shortend, or combined, as previous seasons have already shown. That's how DnD will handle it.

Also, for certain characters, season 4 will already start on their AFFC/ADWD story lines.

I see AFFC/ADWD being 2 seasons at most, and they will probably stsrt getting into TWOW material before that's even over.

There will be a ton of condensing coming up, just has there been since the stsrt of the show.

TWoW and ADoS will be at least as big as ADwD, but there's going to be so much plot cramped into them. A lot of AFfC and ADwD can be cut, and they'll probably make two seasons from them at most.

TWoW and ADoS could well do with two seasons each, just think how much left there is to wrap up. Daenerys isn't even going to get back to Westeros until a good way through TWoW, and you think the Dance of Dragons 2.0 and the Long Night are going to be resolved in one book?

They might do the last two books in seasons 6, 7 and 8. And even that's a tall order and assumes they can get through Feast and Dance in five seasons. HBO shows, especially the flagship dramas, just do not typically go past 5-6 seasons. I've seen some people throw 9-10 seasons around, and that is just ludicrous.

I think that pushing too far into Sansa's AFFC material would be a mistake because she doesn't have very much of that either. Which means you risk having to push too far into her TWOW material and so on and so forth, which may put her out of sync with everyone else. But of course it depends on how much TWOW material she has. If she has a lot of chapters they could of course go:

S4: ASOS/AFFC

S5: TWOW part 1

S6: TWOW part 2

And of course there's the fact that Lysa's death, and the reveal that LF was behind everything is perfect for episode 10. So imo they'll simply be sowing the seeds of the Lord's Declarant plotline this season, and then move into it fully (and flesh it out next season.). So maybe something like:

E1: Reintroduction of Ser Dontos.

E2: Purple Wedding.

E3: Escape from KL immediately after PW and meeting LF.

E4: Absent

E5: Arrival at the Vale, exposition on who was behind the PW. Lysa's arrival.

E6: Lysa and LF's wedding. Lysa/Sansa scene. Introduction to the Royces and Marillion 2.0

E7: Arrival at the Eyrie, setting up some confrontation between LF and Bronze Yohn. Marillion 2.0 comes onto Sansa.

E8: Absent

E9: Absent

E10: Snow Castle Scene, Lysa's death.

Really, you guys think the Purple Wedding will be that early in the season?

I always imagined Tyrion's trial by battle as episode 9 of the season, so the purple wedding should be a bit later.

So if episode 9 is Tyrions trial by battle, episode 7 and 8 would be about Tyrions actual trial, with Shae's testimony as the ending of episode 8. This would place the purpble wedding no sooner than episode 6, and that is assuming that the KL story line will be featured in every episode.

The Purple Wedding in episode 2 would greatly diminish the Dornish storyline in the season. Since Oberyn's presence in KL in the books stirs up some arguments, I guess they'll want to feature it in the show, especially since they went through all the trouble to cast his paramour and Mace Tyrell himself. These two need time to argue on screen :p

This is how I think it'll go:

2014: Season 4 (2nd part of ASOS, a few scenes from AFFC/ADWD)

2015: Season 5 (AFFC/ADWD)

2016: Season 6 (End of AFFC/ADWD, battle of Meereen/Winterfell)

2017: Season 7 (The rest of TWOW, perhaps a bit of ADOS)

2018: Season 8 (ADOS)

Since they most likely will stay in 8 seasons, they really have to zip up TWOW and ADOS.

Here's another possibility which would be better for the TV show, worse for GRRM/book readers (assuming Martin won't be ready with TWOW in 2015/2016, and ADOS 2017)

2014: Season 4 (2nd part of ASOS, a few scenes from AFFC/ADWD)

2015: Season 5 (AFFC/ADWD, battle of Meereen/Winterfelll)

2016: Season 6 (TWOW part 1)

2017: Season 7 (TWOW part 2, ADOS part 1)

2018: Season 8 (ADOS part 2)

But how would the Oberyn/Ellaria storyline fit?

If the poisoning doesn't occur until the very end of the episode, they have two episodes to establish Oberyn, plus any episodes after the poisoning but before Oberyn dies in the trial.

Obviously if the Purple Wedding is episode 2, which it looks highly likely that it is, they found a way to fit the Oberyn/Ellaria storyline.

I'm about 80% sure that it's a done deal and not just speculation. I think it's the episode GRRM is writing.

I think I saw some kind of filming schedule document (whatever it's called) that was leaked out when they were still filming, and it seemed to indicate the PW was in episode 2.

I'm inclined to agree with the PW coming in episode 2. This is the earliest a GRRM written episode has appeared in a season. It's right around the corner in terms of where they are in the story anyway and I don't think they can string it along much longer. Joffrey hardly appears at all in ASOS so last season most of his scenes had to be non canon inventions of the show just to keep him in the viewer's mind. They would need to keep doing this if they wanted to push the PW back much further. There is also very little pre PW material left from the Tyrion and Sansa POVs. Tyrion's meeting Oberyn is about the only thing I can think of.

i just came across this short vid in a teaser for the up comming hbo shows this is an edited version with the GOT content only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvEKvfc7sk

7 seconds but it shows lot. Sansa @ vale. Tyrion trial And looks like danny conquering mereen?

Who is the man turning the page in the book?

/edit

Oh its Jamie looking at the Kings Guard book.

Looks like a lot of Book 4 content.

I think I saw some kind of filming schedule document (whatever it's called) that was leaked out when they were still filming, and it seemed to indicate the PW was in episode 2.

And Neil Marshall is directing episode 9, "Castle Black," that seems to be Blackwater-ish in that it's the entire focus of the episode, the wildling battle. Which dovetails nicely into my idea that some people will have 4th/5th book stuff moved into season 4 (Arya, Sansa, Bran, Jaime, Brienne, etc.) while others like Jon will end season 4 about where they ended the third book, and will have more focus in the 5th season due to other players' material being shifted.

Archived