Roy Dotrice, GOT audiobook narrator, says George R. R. Martin has told him he's got another book nearly ready

Mark Antony

Im still annoyed with Roy Dotrice. FFC & DwD audiobooks both featured changed voices for Dany and Littlefinger - both sound like they have only ever lived in flea bottom and kinda ruined the audio experience for me. Why did he change their voices!? Just lazy. Not hard to listen to a previous episode to check voices... And for such major characters too.

I don't know how you can stand to listen to him at all. I was very disappointed with his rendition of all 5 books, it seemed to get worse and worse with each book too. I'm incredibly happy when I found alternatives.

I'm thinking that the AFFC & ADWD storylines will be wrapped up in season 5. That means seasons 6-8 would've devoted to TWoW & ADoS ( and some fans think both of those books will have 2 seasons each, so 9 seasons total. Although I think 8 seasons is the magic number).

OK this thread has gotten totally derailed, but just to answer LoG:

No. Feast/Dance are not going to take up three seasons. Even two seasons is in doubt. The only way that could happen is if D&D got some foolish notion that now they have to adapt every last piece of worldbuilding and every last feast in the books. They're already pushing some elements of Feast/Dance into Season 4 (Hizdahr zo Loraq, three-eyed crow, and two lords of the Vale have been cast) so I think they'll be done with Feast/Dance by the end of Season 5. Remember that they're not going to wait for George to finish the books, but also remember that TWOW and ADOS are going to be around the length of ASOS with hopefully far less filler than Feast/Dance so either one may take two seasons (I'd bet on Dream) so I do think George has a good shot at finishing before the TV series if he writes the last two books as fast as the first three.

I dunno. You seem pretty sure you know what they're going to do so maybe you follow it much more closely than I do. What I do know is that the two books combined are something like 1800 pages. It's hard for me to imagine that they would be done with both books by the end of season 5. But, as others have said, the less action-packed nature of those two books might require moving past them more quickly. I'll probably start a re-read of those two books next week when I'm off work.

BTW, I find your comment about a "foolish notion that now they have to adapt every last piece of worldbuilding" kind of interesting. We may be of similar mind. I've thought for some time that the TV adaptation follows the books too closely.

Have you ever met trolls? They would be on this like a fat kid on cake.

No more than they'd be on spoiling the show at the moment. Your imaginary scenario where all of the trolls on the internet band together to spoil the books for people isn't going to happen. There will be trolls, some people will get spoiled but mostly avoiding spoilers will be perfectly manageable. Especially on this site, where I wouldn't be surprised if some of the mods abstained from the show.

Furthermore the show will one, almost certainly not overtake the books for any large amount of time and two, will probably end up completely different to the books if it does overtake.

Ehhh ... the books were popular but not nearly as ubiquitous pop culture-wise as they are now. They were also published largely before the Internet really blew up as an outlet. Non-readers, before the show, could easily avoid spoilers just because they'd just have to avoid places like this. Whereas with the show and now with mass media so prevalent, it leaks into news sites, magazines, social media (which the books largely precede as well) and water cooler talk.

Yes the books aren't nearly as big as the show. But if we take Veltigar's claim that there's an inescapable army of trolls that will spoil the books for all of us, it stands to reason that those trolls should also be going about spoiling the show for the Unsullied. And though that obviously happens to an extent most Unsullied manage to stay that way. But in any case it's a moot point imo because I don't believe the show will overtake the books.

ETA: On the topic of AFFC/ADWD I'm seeing only one season (S5) being entirely focused on them. S4 should probably bring in a fair amount of material, namely Brienne's quest and Bran's travels north of the Wall and possibly some of the northern plotline from ADWD. S5 could easily cover the rest of AFFC/ADWD and even include the Battle of Fire in Episode 9 or 10 imo. Season 6 may have a few points left over to wrap up, but nothing much.

It seems to me that AFFC and ADWD will probably take up three seasons total, so seasons 5-7 most likely. Then TWOW will be season 8.

2014 Season 4 (ASOS pt2)

2015 Season 5 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 1)

2016 Season 6 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 2)

2017 Season 7 (AFFC/ADWD Pt 3)

2018 Season 8 (TWOW)

2019 Season 9 (ADOS)

Or something like that. The thing is, there's a ton of source material to stretch this thing out if they need to. To me, even at 10 episodes/season it feels incredibly rushed. I don't know how non-book readers keep up with the pace and they've barely even touched on the backstory.

At any rate, if we get TWOW in 2014, which seems likely, and ADOS comes out in 2017 or 2018, it'll be fine.

Hopefully it will work out like that.

I'm know each season isn't a literal telling of a book and there are some cross overs but I'm surprised by the amount of people who seem to be thinking a large amount of the up coming season 4 will be stuff from Feast.

Personally I hope not, the only thing that really needs to be in is Balons death to fit with the Kings blood. But even then I'd be reluctant to see the Kings Moot (if filmed) moved to forward.

To be honest though I can't see the series getting past season 6 anyway. Costs will spiral and views reduce.

Ehhh ... the books were popular but not nearly as ubiquitous pop culture-wise as they are now. They were also published largely before the Internet really blew up as an outlet. Non-readers, before the show, could easily avoid spoilers just because they'd just have to avoid places like this. Whereas with the show and now with mass media so prevalent, it leaks into news sites, magazines, social media (which the books largely precede as well) and water cooler talk.

I think they'll move a lot of fourth-book or even fifth-book material into the back half of season 4 (especially Jaime, Brienne, Arya, Davos, etc., people whose book 3 arcs are more or less done) to free up the fifth season for Jon-Dany-Tyrion stuff and to get finish up the fourth and fifth books in one go. There really isn't that much moving plot in those books, especially if they can use part of season 4 as a safety valve of sorts. That then gives them seasons 6, 7 and potentially 8 (and bear in mind that 6 seasons is typically the max for most HBO shows) to finish out the series.

I agree. They probably will be done with AFFC and ADWD by the end of season 5, since a lot of characters, that play a part in ADWD and AFFC have already been cast for season 4.

Hopefully it will work out like that.

I'm know each season isn't a literal telling of a book and there are some cross overs but I'm surprised by the amount of people who seem to be thinking a large amount of the up coming season 4 will be stuff from Feast.

Personally I hope not, the only thing that really needs to be in is Balons death to fit with the Kings blood. But even then I'd be reluctant to see the Kings Moot (if filmed) moved to forward.

To be honest though I can't see the series getting past season 6 anyway. Costs will spiral and views reduce.

In the books Balon died before the Red Wedding I'm pretty sure. Either way, show-Stannis has already had his Gendry storyline ended, so when Balon and Joffrey die it's not going to mean much other than "i told you so".

I very much enjoy Dotrice, btw. I actually listen to the audio books on 1.5 speed, however. Not sure if anyone else would prefer that but I do.

Does that make her female voices better or worse? :)

There's A LOT of stuff that happens in AFFC/ADWD that I would be very surprised if they got it all in a single season, even if some of it is in season 4. Just off the top of my head you have...

The Dorne/Arianne Storyline

Quentyn's storyline

Brienne's travelogue

Kingsmoot and Iron Islands movement

Jon & the North

Stannis' move on the IB/WF

Tyrion's travelogue

Arya's FM training and building of Braavos

Jaime as LC and his travelogue in the riverlands

Cersei's plots

Sansa/LF at the Vale

Dany in Mareen

That's a WHOLE lot for a single season w/out taking significant chunks from the story. I think this is at least a season and a half, if not two full seasons.

Personally I hope not, the only thing that really needs to be in is Balons death to fit with the Kings blood. But even then I'd be reluctant to see the Kings Moot (if filmed) moved to forward

I expect that the Ironborn storyline is going to be substantially simplified - all of Balon's brothers are going to be amalgamated into just one usurping evil uncle who'd have his brother killed, seize the Isles, attack the Reach, sail to Dany, etc.

Incidentally, I also think that Yara is going to take Dreadfort instead of Deepwood Motte, only to find out that Ramsey moved out to meet Roose and took Theon with him, that she'll get the news of her father's death there and get attacked by Stannis soon after. The uncle himself as an on-screen character is going to be introduced in season 5, IMHO.

After all, she sailed to rescue Theon at the end of season 3 and all the going back and forth between the North and the Iron Isles is going to be too confusing for TV.

So, no Kingsmoot, no tons of additional Ironborn characters, not much Yara, etc. They may kill her off, even.

Anyway, I really, really hope that Doytrice got the right of it. Because TPaTQ really re-ignited my unholy obssession with all things ASOIAF.

Yes the books aren't nearly as big as the show. But if we take Veltigar's claim that there's an inescapable army of trolls that will spoil the books for all of us, it stands to reason that those trolls should also be going about spoiling the show for the Unsullied. And though that obviously happens to an extent most Unsullied manage to stay that way. But in any case it's a moot point imo because I don't believe the show will overtake the books.

ETA: On the topic of AFFC/ADWD I'm seeing only one season (S5) being entirely focused on them. S4 should probably bring in a fair amount of material, namely Brienne's quest and Bran's travels north of the Wall and possibly some of the northern plotline from ADWD. S5 could easily cover the rest of AFFC/ADWD and even include the Battle of Fire in Episode 9 or 10 imo. Season 6 may have a few points left over to wrap up, but nothing much.

I am in that army or trolls, and we will spoil the books for you.

I'm thinking that the AFFC & ADWD storylines will be wrapped up in season 5. That means seasons 6-8 would've devoted to TWoW & ADoS ( and some fans think both of those books will have 2 seasons each, so 9 seasons total. Although I think 8 seasons is the magic number).

I assumed season 4 will be the 2nd part of book 3. Ending with Jon being made LC and Jofferys death being in the 9th episode. I would think there is enough material to do this.

Then season 5 will be a mix 4th and 5th because the two books are parallel

But on the other hand its rumored that some one was hired to play Leaf. In the upcoming season. A character we dont meet until book 5

There's A LOT of stuff that happens in AFFC/ADWD that I would be very surprised if they got it all in a single season, even if some of it is in season 4. Just off the top of my head you have...

The Dorne/Arianne Storyline

Quentyn's storyline

Brienne's travelogue

Kingsmoot and Iron Islands movement

Jon & the North

Stannis' move on the IB/WF

Tyrion's travelogue

Arya's FM training and building of Braavos

Jaime as LC and his travelogue in the riverlands

Cersei's plots

Sansa/LF at the Vale

Dany in Mareen

That's a WHOLE lot for a single season w/out taking significant chunks from the story. I think this is at least a season and a half, if not two full seasons.

A ton of that can be consolidated though, particularly the stuff in bold. And Tycho is apparently showing up next season, as is Hizdahr, and both of them are primarily fifth-book characters. And the Kindly Man, too. So it looks like I'm at least partially correct and some 4th/5th book stuff will show up next season. If they bump up enough plot (and several characters are essentially "done" in terms of SoS, meaning they can press ahead with their later plots) to next season and do some much-needed consolidation (it was needed even in the books ...), then yes, I think they can finish the 4th/5th books through season 5.

A ton of that can be consolidated though, particularly the stuff in bold. And Tycho is apparently showing up next season, as is Hizdahr, and both of them are primarily fifth-book characters. And the Kindly Man, too. So it looks like I'm at least partially correct and some 4th/5th book stuff will show up next season.

Plus The Three Eyed Crow and Leaf are cast as well.

Archived