Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug spoiler thread

Calibandar

Did anyone else notice Tharanduil's use of glamour to conceal injuries? I've been reading Tolkien for 32 years and I don't ever recall his Elves using glamour before.

I thought that was cool - They had to add spice to the blandness of the book.

Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas. He just has better source material. And this movie was definitely worse than the first.

If Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas then I applaud him, GL created the most beloved sci-fi universe of all time, so yeh I know it wasn't your intention but that was a huge compliment. Try again next time.

Andrew_,

The Star Wars prequels sucked donkey balls. Right?

The third one wasn't as bad as the first two, although I wouldn't go as far as saying the films formed what resembles a human mouth then consciously decided to go suck on donkeys ball. They were bad, they weren't that bad.

And as I explained in an earlier post, the star wars prequels were universally panned, these two films have been generally well received, so comparing them to what many considered (and were wrong) a franchise killing trilogy, doesn't make any sense, in fact its fucken idiotic.

Did anyone else notice Tharanduil's use of glamour to conceal injuries? I've been reading Tolkien for 32 years and I don't ever recall his Elves using glamour before.

I'm fine with that, even if it has no basis in the source material. It fits the Fair Folk motif nicely enough - humans folktales fear Elves for a reason.

Tauriel was such a bright spot in the movie, I think she really brought some life into the middle sections of the films. Evangiline Lily seems to have vanished after Lost, but I'm glad to see her in this. I wasn't the biggest fan of that triangle, but I thought it worked fairly well in that it didn't seem overplayed.

Really? I thought that she was basically cheaper Kate Beckinsale. Seriously, that popped into my mind every time I saw her. It's like that Tardis woman in Doctor Who, the part seemed to be destined for someone else. Also:boring.

Yeah, I noticed that she looked like Kate as well. Seriously, what did she bring to this movie that has people liking her? She was whorrible!

(See what I did there?) :P

Wait. How was she a "whore"?

Anyway, I thought her character added some enjoyment to the film, and actually gave Legolas some depth as well as character progression.

Sci,

It wasn't completely out of place I just didn't recall Tolkien's Elves ever directly using "glamour". Their magic was usually tied up in the making of special items or in the etherial beauty of their constructions or music. The direct use of magic for concealing an injury was simply not something I expected to see. Nor was Tariel using "magic" to heal Kili.

Wait. How was she a "whore"?

Anyway, I thought her character added some enjoyment to the film, and actually gave Legolas some depth as well as character progression.

Not much enjoyment imo. But that's just me, I just don't find her sort of story compelling yet I have to sit through it every time I go to watch a blockbuster in the theater.

As for character progression for Legolas...don't see it.

Umm, she's a freaking gold digger!

Funny, in this case I think it's the dwarf that's the gold digger :P (seriously those dwarves are pricks, but considering how stupid everyone in Laketown is,they met their soulmates)

Her primary goal was helping the world beyond the wood. It's only as cliche as everything else in the tale.

As for character progression for Legolas...don't see it.

Think of the guy who is reluctant to engage the world beyond the forest and then think of the guy who offers his bow to Frodo.

Her primary goal was helping the world beyond the wood. It's only as cliche as everything else in the tale.

Her primary goal is tainted by the fact that whatshisface is beyond the woods too. And she spends most of her time dealing with him. Sure, she may have just left to help the world anyway,but she leaves after she finds out he's injured with a sorcerous blade. I can't say for sure how important it was to her, but the chain of events muddies things.

The two motivations blend together, so when I watch her I'm probably going to be dealing with the romantic plot no matter what her primary motivation is.

Think of the guy who is reluctant to engage the world beyond the forest and then think of the guy who offers his bow to Frodo.

I suppose. But really, how seriously are we supposed to take this reluctance? It comes up once iirc, and that's because he received a direct order.

Really? I thought that she was basically cheaper Kate Beckinsale. Seriously, that popped into my mind every time I saw her. It's like that Tardis woman in Doctor Who, the part seemed to be destined for someone else. Also:boring.

Hah! I'm not a fan of Beckinsale at all, I'm glad Lilly played the role and not her, but that's probably more to do with the fact that I enjoyed her in Lost. I suppose we just see it differently when it comes to that character. She just seemed refreshing to me and for me she actually brought some life into that film, especially given how stiff some of the other characters seemed to be.

I haven't been really able to read most of this thread, I thought we were only spoiling the first and second movie and not segments from the third/ last part of the book. Clearly I haven't read the first post properly.

Edit: Though it would have been hilarious to have Beckinsale's character in Van Helsing play Tauriel, I would certainly see that.

Yeah I really wasn't a fan of Tauriel at all. She was touted as being a "strong female character" even though she was pretty much just a satellite character for Killi, plainly designed solely so the Dwarves were more distinguishable. Not to mention their romance was really poorly set up. One moment she's commenting that he's tall for a Dwarf, she has one conversation with him and suddenly she's willing to defy her King's orders and risk her life for him?

Yeah I really wasn't a fan of Tauriel at all. She was touted as being a "strong female character" even though she was pretty much just a satellite character for Killi, plainly designed solely so the Dwarves were more distinguishable. Not to mention their romance was really poorly set up. One moment she's commenting that he's tall for a Dwarf, she has one conversation with him and suddenly she's willing to defy her King's orders and risk her life for him?

She's was already shown to be concerned for the outside world and how the elves should do their part to fight the darkness.

Killi is just the catalyst that finally motivates her.

Archived