Watch the New Game of Thrones Trailer

Westeros

There's room for development where the Lords of the Vale are concerned, and they can use Bran to provide a little background and exposition in regards to Robert's rebellion.

I'd love to see Meera tell Bran the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree. They need to get into this at some point. I think the non-book readers would like that a lot...

One of the only scenes I'm not entirely sure about; what do you guys think of the scene at 0:47? I can't see any banners or sigils, so it might be the wildlings, but I can't recall any scenes in the book where the Night's Watch and wildlings battle on a field during the day. I can also see a young boy running amidst the fighting.

Aaaand among the best Tumblr comments:

"PLOT TWIST: R’hllor requires Stannis’ stubble in order to blow them safely to the wall instead of Axell Florent."

"Jaime’s hair (◡‿◡✿) / Jaime’s gold hand (◡‿◡✿) / Jaime (◡‿◡✿)"

This kickass GIF, this reaction GIF, and this sexy screencap and this pretty photoset. Oh and LOL amusing photo.

"Looking forward to how the Danaerys bandwagon react when they find out how much of a dumbass she is in regards to ruling Meereen. Unless their bias botches that like they botched Stannis of course."

"tbh i thought game of thrones was a game show, like a hardcore version of musical chairs, until tumblr proved me otherwise"

"The game of thrones fandom just blogged about a minute and 44 seconds of footage for four hours. "

"GoT: Season 4 -- In which motherfuckers are going to learn why Stannis is the truth."

"I just wished it was Roose slapping Ramsay, not some whore *sob*"

I'm glad we'll be getting that scene with Jaime and Joff too!

I haven't mentioned Jon Snow yet. I was very excited to see a glimpse of some badassery sword fighting from him. I really think this season is going to be for Jon what last season was for Dany.

Yes! I don't think Kit is a bad actor. I mean, he'll probably never be a Charles Dance or Sean Bean as far as the subtleties go, but I think he has the potential to be a decent actor. They really have just sort of neglected Jon's storyline - not to mention his arc in Season 2 was poorly written. So I can't really blame him too much. I understand that filming in Iceland is difficult, and they undoubtedly don't get as much time to film as they would in Dubrovnik, but it really has been disappointing seeing the lack of care with Jon's story. In saying that though, I think there was a lot to like about his in Season 3, even it was still a bit limited.

Emilia is a prime example of what happens when you give her great writing and direction (Season 1 and 3) compared to something that felt rushed, like Season 2. Kit is in the same boat. I really hope this will be Jon's season!

I've never been in the "Kit Harrington is a bad actor" camp.

I feel he was neglected in season 3 and his relationship with Mance should have been developed more before they sent him off, but what can you do? This season will be the truest test for him. He's also young, so it's unfair to compare him to Charles Dance and Sean Bean, whose resumes are incredibely long.

I'm a very big sword fighting junkie too, so seeing that little sword sidesweep he does makes me squee a little.

As a fan of Donal Noye (one of my favourite minor characters), I didn't really expect him to be cast. It doesn't bother me, though - wouldn't be much point to it now in my opinion. But I wonder if they'll have another character "replace" him, like Thorne?

As a fan of Donal Noye (one of my favourite minor characters), I didn't really expect him to be cast. It doesn't bother me, though - wouldn't be much point to it now in my opinion. But I wonder if they'll have another character "replace" him, like Thorne?

Yes it will be Thorne, it seems he'll be fighting Mag the Mighty.

There's room for development where the Lords of the Vale are concerned

Not terribly, no. There can't be actual fighting, because Littlefinger would lose that (and "winning" would disrupt the status quo at the start of book six). It's necessarily a brief standoff, and Sansa's isolation is kind of important to the story. It's why things seem poised to change when she gets to the Gates of the Moon.

Beyond which, you're talking about gutting any sort of plot progression in what was already not a terribly fast-paced story.

Tywin and Arya never interacted in the books and yet their scenes were fantastic in season 2. It's very much in the realm of possibility for something similar to happen.

Those weren't additions, they were replacements for similar material in the book (her role with Roose), and didn't prolong the story.

The Knight of the Laughing Tree would be exceptionally hard to transfer to screen. It's a giant allegory that depends on all kinds of backstory that the show hasn't provided yet, it goes on for a long, long time, and it's not actually screentime for Bran in any meaningful sense (he just gets told a story). That's a problem with pretty much all the suggestions that Bran's story be padded out with more flashbacks, actually -- all that would be is him standing around. You could pretty much replace Hempstead-Wright with a cardboard cutout if that's all the character is going to be doing.

Bran and co. could run into the mutineers at Crasters keep. Bran and co. could run into more white walkers. Bran and co. can pause for a cup of snow tea and Meera or Jojen could tell a story of the rebellion. Bran could have more wolf dreams. Bran could have more dreams with Robb, Cat and Jon.

This is not including all the things they could fabricate once ...

He meets Bloodraven and he children of the forrest.

They can do it if they really want to, though I don't even think they need to. I just think all of his material in book 5 will be completed by the end of next season.

As for the Lords of the Vale: why does there even have to be any fighting? Why not just develop the characters similar to how the Tyrells were developed in season 3? Why not develop more of Littlefinger's manipulations?

Again ... I really don't think this is even needed, I'm just saying it's a possibility. There's still plenty of material to cover Sansa through the next two seasons as well, especially since she's not one of the main main characters like Dany, Jon and Tyrion.

Other details I liked--

- The Hound punching the fuck out of Polliver (or whoever) + Arya looking breathless and freaked

- Tywin's small smile at Jaime holding Oathkeeper + muted despair when he's surrounded by darkness

- Cersei going lioness for Tommen (with the black dress I'm assuming it's post-Joff)

- Those friggin vistas, like when the Bolton forces (I'm assuming it's them based on banners) meet.

- Theon's eyes looking like he's seen a century of slaughter

- Oberyn showing that candle who's boss + the flip...I can't help it, it looks so fierce

- Margaery's hair looking rather French (Highgarden = Versailles has been suggested, no?)

- The "Evil Overlord" pan up to Dany on her throne + smug "I am so white Jesus" smile at her thrall crowd

- Lots of book readers reacting to the Dany line, suggesting the show is finally showing her petulent/cray-cray side. I can tell you that the unsullied viewers I've talked to were very psyched by tha line. They definitely have the opposite reaction.

"Such sweet innocence..." :D

No, not really. Sansa and Bran are not in a position where their stories can have a bunch of padding added to them. Very little happens to them in the span, nor can happen.

The series is projected to be 8 seasons. They are not going to be doing the last two books in two seasons. And padding out a bunch of already-slim plots to last an extra year when they could barely go one year will kill even more momentum.

Sansa's Season 4 storyline, assuming it ends where I think it ends (end of ASOS), does seem a bit thin, even accounting for the obligatory two or three episodes Sansa misses every year, the fact that 4x09 is devoted to the Wall battle, and the fact that the writers haven't really focused that much on Sansa in past seasons. On the other hand, Sansa will be trapped at close quarters with Littlefinger for most of Season 4, and the writers do love their non-book Littlefinger scenes, so it could all even out in the end. We might get a bit more into an exploration of Vale politics, to set the stage for AFFC intrigues in later seasons.

It could play out like this in Season 4:

4x01: Sansa meets Dontos, receives hairnet

4x02: PW, Sansa escapes

4x03: exposition from LF, scenes on ship

4x04/4x05/4x06/4x07: Vale scenes reintroducing Lysa and Sweetrobin and introducing the new players, LF and Lysa wedding, one or two missed Vale episodes

4x08: snow castle scene, LF murders Lysa

4x09: missed episode

4x10: scene to set up Season 5

...I think that the snow castle scene and the murder have to be in the same episode, and I think the episode would be 4x08 because the tenth episode is almost always a setup episode.

As for Bran, I have no idea what the writers are going to do with him this season without getting heavy into ADWD.

- Margaery's hair looking rather French (Highgarden = Versailles has been suggested, no?)

I was getting a Marie Antoinette vibe for sure.

- Lots of book readers reacting to the Dany line, suggesting the show is finally showing her petulent/cray-cray side. I can tell you that the unsullied viewers I've talked to were very psyched by tha line. They definitely have the opposite reaction.

I think the show plays her petulant side much, much more prominently than the books already but they show it in a badass, one note vibe. Then to avoid the possibility of her coming out as exceedingly arrogant they shoot some "messiah" scenes for her, a "privilege" no other character has. So the unsullied don't bother to think about her motivations, views, rights, alignments, moral ambiguity, if her claim is indeed legitimate (unlike her book fans that support her taking all these things into account), instead going for "she is badass" and "she has dragons!"

Archived