Fox's Fantastic Four reboot

Bastard of Boston

It seems fine to me. :dunno: He's talking to someone who knows, so he is asking a question of them, not just stating something he'd like to know.

If he had said "Answer my question: where are my children?", 'I only have one question..where are my children?" or some variation thereof I'd find it less weird too. 

If it makes sense..."Where are my children?" is the question, the location of the children is the fact.

So he's essentially saying "All I'd like to know is the question I'm asking" instead of "all I'd like to know is the fact" or "all I'd like to know is the answer to my question"

Those poor actors :( There's no chance they're coming out of this unscathed.

I think it's the opposite. No one is going to blame them unless they're incredibly shit. Everyone one of them has proven that they have chops.

I would have loved to see Michael B. Jordan have his own franchise though.

I think it's the opposite. No one is going to blame them unless they're incredibly shit. Everyone one of them has proven that they have chops.

I would have loved to see Michael B. Jordan have his own franchise though.

The reviews I've read all absolve the cast and even seem to say their interactions amongst themselves are the best parts of the movie. However, being associated to such a disaster is surely going to have career repercussions.

Grantland has a pretty scathing review up, and I can't say I'm surprised at the negative reception. Did anyone think this was gonna be good when we weren't shown footage of the movie until 5 months before release?

I don't think it'll affect any of them too much, on its own anyway. Miles Teller was just in Whiplash which people aren't going to instantly forget (plus his upcoming Vinny Piazenza biopic seems like it could be strong), Kate Mara is in The Martian (which will be a problem for her if The Martian is bad), and Michael B. Jordan is headlining Creed. The only one who's not got something upcoming to eclipse this is Jamie Bell, and he's been around so long I don't think one flop is going to cripple him.

It'd be a bigger concern if one of them was the headliner, maybe.

It's Trank whose career is fucked.

I don't think it'll affect any of them too much, on its own anyway. Miles Teller was just in Whiplash which people aren't going to instantly forget (plus his upcoming Vinny Piazenza biopic seems like it could be strong), Kate Mara is in The Martian (which will be a problem for her if The Martian is bad), and Michael B. Jordan is headlining Creed. The only one who's not got something upcoming to eclipse this is Jamie Bell, and he's been around so long I don't think one flop is going to cripple him.

It'd be a bigger concern if one of them was the headliner, maybe.

It's Trank whose career is fucked.

They're all actors on the cusp so being associated with an A grade turkey might effect their careers. Saying that everyone and his auntie repeatedly claim Miles Teller is a humungous dick and he's powering ahead.

Well, yeah, but Trank was also a writer, so he's still knee-deep in this mess :P

I see his case as what Sony did to Marc Webb: promising filmmaker churns out some mediocre crap because of the studio interference, with the exception that I think Webb is a far better director than Trank, at least comparing (500) Days and Chronicle. And the Amazing Spider-Man movies, awful though they were (and by God, they were awful), never quite reached this level of suck.

I think this is 100% down to Fox. All of their Marvel movies are fuckin awful, and I know I'm in a minority but the entire X-men canon sucks IMO, including the X-men re-boots. They have no respect for the source material, none at all, and it shines through the product they shit out.

They're all actors on the cusp so being associated with an A grade turkey might effect their careers. Saying that everyone and his auntie repeatedly claim Miles Teller is a humungous dick and he's powering ahead.

It affects their careers in that they don't have a franchise to feed off for years to come. 

But Fox has firmly put this at the feet of Trank, by dumping on him in the press, and themselves by being the common denominator in all Fantastic Four fuck-ups.

As for Miles Teller...that seems a popular opinion isn't it? He's remarkably consistent on it. You'd think he'd get a humility advisor by now.

As for Trank: it's difficult for me to figure out how much he's to blame and how much involves Fox covering their own ass. At the very least though, no one cuts out the director of their new franchise, then proceeds to do a ton of reshoots and go nuclear on them in the press without reason.

It's his rotten luck that he didn't doesn't have anything else in his name to give the Halo Effect some traction like Edgar Wright benefited from.

I think this is 100% down to Fox. All of their Marvel movies are fuckin awful, and I know I'm in a minority but the entire X-men canon sucks IMO, including the X-men re-boots. They have no respect for the source material, none at all, and it shines through the product they shit out.

100% agree. This isn't an isolated incident. To this day I still can't understand why people liked Days of Future Past. I thought it was absolutely terrible, a beat by beat copy of First Class that sidelined every female character in favor of a sausage party and that barely showed the Sentinel future, which was the big ticket. God, just thinking about it makes me nauseous.

So yeah, I too think this mess was down to Fox, but I also think Trank didn't have the cred to at least salvage a bit of the finished product.

The fact that he got fired from Star Wars for being a dickhead gives some weight to the idea that Trank fucked it up.

Was he fired because he was a dickweed?

Because the articles that followed the firing specifically cited Fox as a cause. They made his alleged behavior known both in the public and to the people running SW who,naturally, didn't want to take a chance.

Found this weird interview with Trank and Kinberg (who wrote the screenplay.) http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-josh-trank-simon-kinberg-fantastic-four-20150806-story.html#page=1If it's true, Fox knew from the get go that they were going for more of a body horror film than a traditional F4 film.

Found this weird interview with Trank and Kinberg (who wrote the screenplay.) http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-josh-trank-simon-kinberg-fantastic-four-20150806-story.html#page=1If it's true, Fox knew from the get go that they were going for more of a body horror film than a traditional F4 film.

I know some people would appreciate Trank for at least trying to do something different with the superhero genre, but I think this Cronenbergian stuff was a fundamentally wrong approach to apply to the FF. I mean, the tone just doesn't work. Trank should've left his ideas for a future, maybe more original sci fi movie, but trying to combine it with the FF resulted in this disaster.

This feels very much like Fox didn't like the public backlash, got involved and tried to change the direction the film was going and then blamed the director who fought against it. Trank might have some challenges and maybe he really is hard to work with, but the type of backlash against him seemed over the top for that type of situation. There always needs to be a scapegoat when there are production issues and it seems Trank was it. I'm sure he contributed but everyone is saying it's the last 45 minutes that's a mess and I'm more likely to believe that was Fox's reshoots and trying to shoehorn some comic book madness into a movie that was pitched and set up to be very different.

It's his rotten luck that he didn't doesn't have anything else in his name to give the Halo Effect some traction like Edgar Wright benefited from.

There's also the fact that Edgar Wright never made the film (regardless of whether Ant-man was good or bad). If Trank had walked and kinberg and co had made the film themselves he'd be bulletproof. The problem is he directed a good chunk of the film (and co-wrote it)

Fuck it, I need to know what all the rage is about. Booked a ticket.

Maybe this was the final strategy of Fox's. The "it's so bad I've gotta see it" angle

Was he fired because he was a dickweed?

Because the articles that followed the firing specifically cited Fox as a cause. They made his alleged behavior known both in the public and to the people running SW who,naturally, didn't want to take a chance.

Simon Kinberg is a writer and producer on both projects, so it was less 'let it be known' than he is one of the people running SW and seemingly just didn't want to have to deal with him anymore.

I'm pretty sure Alan Smithee is dead.

But, honestly, since the studio has already thrown him under the bus for their own cop out..I'm not surprised by this at all. 

Yeah, I just read on the wikipedia entry that the film industry stopped using that synonym back in 2000. I did not know that.

Archived