As for his KG:

Brienne

Patrek Mallister

Smalljon

Beren Tallhart

Theon Greyjoy

BF

Possibly a hunter from the Wolfswood-add something different into the mix

Three of those are heirs thus not likely to give up their claim, while Tallhart is ten years old.

Three of those are heirs thus not likely to give up their claim, while Tallhart is ten years old.

Meant your man Benfred-bit of a dope but seems enthusiastic at least. And obviously before he died

Actually four of them, if you include Brienne. In any case there isn't many famous fighters to go about in Robbs kingdom. Tbh as they are looking for independence I don't think they need a KG, but a symbolic one which had perhaps, three bodyguards for Robb at ceremonies etc, could be handy for ceremonies, PR etc

This is why Stannis is an idiot. He should have joined with Robb as Robb never desired the IT. He'd be King in the North, having avenged his father and family, and Stannis could have claimed the throne with the help of the North.

As for his hand, if we were to consider it....I'd have to go with Hodor.

I don't know about hand, but at times, Robb's closest advisor seemed to be Lady Catelyn.

There is entirely too much tut-tutting in this realm, if you ask me. All these kings would do a deal better if they put down their swords and listened to their mothers.

Lady Olenna to Sansa Stark

I'd actually respect Robb if he made Cat his Hand. She's very politically savvy and intelligent, and save for one occasion (releasing Jaime) she did everything pretty much in the best way. Another fun thing we could think about it what would Robb's hypothetical Small Council he like.

"Hand" is a Southron custom, as has been explained in the books:

Bran had no answer for that. “King Robert has a Hand,” he said, uncertainly.

“He does,” his father admitted. “As did the Targaryen kings before him. Yet our way is the older way. The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we do our masturbating on our own.”

Bran had no answer for that. “King Robert has a Hand,” he said, uncertainly.

“He does,” his father admitted. “As did the Targaryen kings before him. Yet our way is the older way. The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we do our masturbating on

our own.”

I won't lie : I laughed.

Anyway I agree he wouldn't have needed a Hand (the North isn't so much the political spiderweb that is KL, and is only one kingdom), but might have heeded Cat's counsel.

I think that Robb have had some kind of KG in the books (SmallJon, Dacey, Lucas Blackwood,...).

It's likely he sort of had an unofficial one in the sense that he had lots of capable followers who, while not in the official roles of the KG, were often with him and took up sort of similar roles as capable warriors and were expected to protect their king.

This is why Stannis is an idiot. He should have joined with Robb as Robb never desired the IT. He'd be King in the North, having avenged his father and family, and Stannis could have claimed the throne with the help of the North.

As for his hand, if we were to consider it....I'd have to go with Hodor.

Stannis would've then been losing 2 of his regions (3 if Robb's plan with Theon worked) and one of those is probably the biggest out of all 9. He may have been best to just suck it up and agree, but he would've been seen as a weak king by many if he simply gave up a large portion of his kingdom because he wanted to be king.

Cat or Manderly

But here's a left-field option: Yohn Royce. I think the dude will come out of the woodworks as a player in WoW, and certainly the only Lord Declarant clever enough to oppose LF.

He wanted to join Robb in the Wot5K, and Robb naming him Hand might have given him the push to break free of Lysa's bullshit, with other Vale lords surely following his lead

He had his own personal honour guard, somehwhat larger than the KG (was it 20? 50?) made up of the children of his Lords and Bannermen. I personally like this idea better than the KG, they were all very faithful and loyal without all the nonsensical vows.

As for hand, if we imagine he would name one, he probably WOULD name Brynden Tully, but a more practical choice would be someone much more politically minded; perhaps Lord Wyman Manderly, or even Roose Bolton (if Robb is victorious there is no betrayal, and Roose wouldnt risk betraying Robb when he has the entire North behind him)

His ideal Small Council, while we are on the topic:

Hand of the King: No idea

LC Kingsguard: Brynden Tully

Master of Ships: Theon Greyjoy, unless he isnt part of Robb's Kingdom. Wylis/Wendel Manderly or a Mormont if not, as they are the only naval forces that come to mind.

Master of Laws: Greatjon Umber. Because I cant think of anyone else tbh :/

Master of Coins: Wyman Manderly (he offered to mint Robb his own currency and is very rich in silver)

Grand Maester: Maester Luwin but only because he is the only Northern Maester we seembto know enough about

Master of Whispers: Howland Reed, because no-one has seen him for ages and will therefore not recognise him :p (seriously though, wasnt sure for this one)

Advisor: Catelyn Tully

Advisor: Maeg Mormont

Advisor: Rickard Karstark

Cat or Manderly

But here's a left-field option: Yohn Royce. I think the dude will come out of the woodworks as a player in WoW, and certainly the only Lord Declarant clever enough to oppose LF.

He wanted to join Robb in the Wot5K, and Robb naming him Hand might have given him the push to break free of Lysa's bullshit, with other Vale lords surely following his lead

That's actually a real good plan. Not sure of Royce would have taken the bait, and it certainly wouldn't have brought over all of the vale, but none the less, good move

Looking at his honor guard for inspiration (and speculating quite a lot), he might have a council of lords taking on the duties of the Hand. Tully, Frey and Manderly would surely be represented, maybe Bolton, Karstark, Glover...

Mallister also for their strength and Blackwood for their Old Gods faith

Yeah, forgot about the Mallisters, good choice. I reckon you're asking for trouble if you include the Blackwoods and not the Brackens (or vice versa).

It's interesting to think about whether or not the religion of the Old Gods would start spreading down South, with followers of the Faith kneeling to an Old God King. Then again I guess it could go both ways

It's interesting to think about whether or not the religion of the Old Gods would start spreading down South, with followers of the Faith kneeling to an Old God King. Then again I guess it could go both ways

I doubt that. The Starks never forced anyone to take up the Old Gods since Cat had a small sept in Winterfell. So why would they start using the Old Gods in the South?

Archived