Who is the most contemptible character without being wholly evil?

mamba12

While the Roose is definately a cool character ( he might just be my favorite character), I think the guy is also pretty damn evil. Maybe not so in your face batshit insane as Ramsay, but more or less wholly evil nontheless. That man is cold.

:agree:

He took part in the planning and participated in the mass murder of his fellow Northerners.....so he could become Warden of the North. Basically, seeing hundreds he should be loyal to dead so he can gain power.....then goes on to rule over the families/friends of those he helped kill.

Also, he killed Robb (his King). At least the Freys can say they did it for vengeance against Robb's slight. What can Roose say? I killed him to show my loyalty to the Lannisters which will secure my goal- selfish power, I have no right to.

That man may be cool but he is evil. period.

People who say otherwise are blinded by their interest in his villain charm.

True, I don't either. You look at the pitiable characters, and you see that they all have undeniable causes for at least some sympathy.

Theon - taken from his home at the age of 10, asked to choose either his closest friend or his family and birthright. Also Ramsay.

Tyrion - born a dwarf, the Tysha incident, despised by nearly all except Jaime

Sansa - A hostage and at one point in time betrothed to the man who called for her father's head, forced to marry Tyrion (a noseless dwarf)

Robb - forced to become a man even younger than Ned was

Jon - Born a bastard, treated poorly by Cat his entire life, doesn't even know who he is

Then you look at Lysa's sympathetic woes...

Lysa - born the second daughter, never as good as Cat, falls for the lowly Baelish, and even he doesn't desire her. Married to an old man.

Her problems are way aren't as compelling.

Very well reasoned (I would have broken it down similarly, but was just online briefly while at lunch, lol). Robb was a great character, and in my opinion, the best king of the lots, but he had to much pressure on him to young, that goes the same for Jon. Jon was doing the right thing for the right reasons, but was not seasoned enough to bring the Night's Watch to his side completely, aside from the Red Wedding chapter, few scenes drive me as nuts as when Jon is talking with his other Brothers about his plans, his arguments were poorly made and explained, he allowed his temper to flare to easily and hurt his reasoning skills. And that can be expected given that he, like Robb, was basically a boy king, only 15-16, still stinking of summer.

The one person that maybe is deserving of pity that I have less for then maybe I should, is Catelyn, and it all boils down to her treatment of Jon. I can understand her maybe holding a grudge against Ned, but the "fact" that he was Ned's bastard ;) was not Jon's fault and she never loved, accepted, cared for him, breaking her family motto of "Family, Duty, Honor." whether she liked it or not, Jon was part of her family and it was her duty to treat him like a son.

she never loved, accepted, cared for him, breaking her family motto of "Family, Duty, Honor." whether she liked it or not, Jon was part of her family and it was her duty to treat him like a son.

Not to get into the discussion about her treatment of Jon, but Jon wasn't part of her family nor did she have any duty to treat him like a son in how he wasn't her child. Simply, that isn't the situation in regards to bastards within Westeros society (nor would most women be openly accepting their husband's child from an affair today).

Now back on topic:

I don't think Jaime is getting mentioned enough in this thread.

Not to get into the discussion about her treatment of Jon, but Jon wasn't part of her family nor did she have any duty to treat him like a son in how he wasn't her child. Simply, that isn't the situation in regards to bastards within Westeros society (nor would most women be openly accepting their husband's child from an affair today).

Now back on topic:

I don't think Jaime is getting mentioned enough in this thread.

I will just say this, while not her son, he was family because Ned made him family, but that would be a topic for another thread.

You're right about Jamie though. I am still not sure how I feel about him as a person, I love him as a character, he was a fantastic bad guy which a very interesting backstory, and his road to redemption is fascinating. To me he does not deserve a lot of pity, forgiveness yes, he maybe the most misunderstood character in the book. He was used and manipulated by Cersie, judged unfairly by Ned Stark, Barristan the Bold, and the realm as a whole, and, well, was a major dissapointment to his prick of a father. I know a lot of people can't get past the incest, frankly, after the 1st book I stopped carrying about that, it was obvious that he did, at least have a deep love for his twin, and she was the only woman he had been with, so in a way, there was something noble in that. Plus I think Cersie manipulated him even more with her body then we see, I am not convinced she ever loved Jamie as deeply as he loved her. All he ever wanted to be was a Knight, I think maybe the best thing that could have happened to him, would have been to be sent to the Wall after Killing Aerys and saving Kings Landing. There he could have been a Ranger and been content fighting and training recruits to fight. He may have spurred it at first, losing out on the Tourny glory he craved. But he could have been a great recruiting tool for the Watch, competing and winning tournaments while all in Black instead of gold or white.

First and foremost - Pycelle. Irredeemable jerk willing to burn the world if he could help the Lannisters. Sycophant and incompetent, with no self-respect at all.

Alliser Thorne - enjoys bullying and humiliating boys and sucks as his job as a teacher.

Marillion - arrogant liar and utter coward. Him being a fine singer is perhaps only good thing you could say about him.

Robert = Totally well-intentioned, but rewarded a child murderer and rape-murder facilitator with the status of in-law to royalty AND offered him an informal purchase of the Iron Throne on the installment plan over a period of years for the price of a series of obscenely expensive and unnecessary tourneys and other diversions. Also neglected his bastards, his supposed legitimate heirs and his duties as a king.

Hoster Tully = Even though it's fairly common in the Westeros universe for even very highborn families to deal humanely with an unsuitable pregnancy by arranging a hasty marriage with someone less highborn than they'd prefer, Hoster chose to induce an unwilling abortion in his fourteen year old daughter (who desperately wanted the pregnancy, thought of it as her own child who was murdered, and went through a painful, traumatizing and dangerous miscarriage). Having done this, he then blackmailed Jon Arryn into taking her as a bride even though he knew Jon Arryn was a prideful man who could never be anything but cold to a bride he perceived as 'tainted', and even though he knew that 14 year old traumatized Lysa needed 'warmth' above all in a relationship. Tully had an obligation to go to war with the throne due to his alliance by betrothal with the Starks - but he got greedy and refused to honor that obligation until Jon Arryn gave him TWO Lord Paramount son-in-laws instead of one.

He repented of his misdeeds before his death, so I don't count him as evil - but yes, he IS contemptible.

Jon Arryn = a man without the least shade of evil in his character. And yet - he okayed Robert marrying Cersei without even asking Tywin for the symbolic sacrifice of a monster like Gregor in exchange. He allowed Robert to run wild for years and mortgage the throne to the Lannisters, and when he himself could not restrain him, he never called for Ned, the only other man who might have helped him bring Robert to his senses in an intervention to keep the king from drinking and overeating himself into an early grave and overspending the kingdom into bankruptcy. Why didn't he ever tell Ned how badly things were going and ask for his help? Arrant stupidity? Stubborn pride? Whatever the reason, I find the man most characters in the story consider saintlike to be strangely contemptible.

First and foremost - Pycelle. Irredeemable jerk willing to burn the world if he could help the Lannisters. Sycophant and incompetent, with no self-respect at all.

Pycelle thinks that the Lannisters will stop the world from burning, he's not going to set it on fire himself.

And considering the success he had at his job as a Lannister agent and the fact that Varys needed him dead because he was on the way to re-unite the Seven Kingdoms just shows that the man wasn't an incompetent.

Pycelle thinks that the Lannisters will stop the world from burning, he's not going to set it on fire himself.

Maybe not, but he's pretty happy to nourish the fire Lannisters set up. Besides, believing some cause is right does not excuse you from doing and sanctioning atrocities committed in the name of said cause.

And considering the success he had at his job as a Lannister agent and the fact that Varys needed him dead because he was on the way to re-unite the Seven Kingdoms just shows that the man wasn't an incompetent.

Eh, his record during the series wasn't exactly stellar - his allegiance gets sniffed out quickly by everybody, Ned included; he gives some pretty dumb advice (hey, we shouldn't deal with Stannis be on Dragonstone or Yes, Cersei, cutting out people's tongues is great idea); shows appalling lack of concern for the realm he's supposed to serve (let Janos Slynt be LC of Night's Watch or Lord Stark, you mustn't judge anointed knight Gregor Clegane) and gets played like a fish by smarter players (e.g. Tyrion). Not exactly what you'd you call competent Grand Maester.

I'm not looking for Ramsay Bolton or Gregor Clegane, here.

I'm talking about otherwise good people who have earned your ire by their despicable acts.

I'll start - Gatehouse Ami. Cuckolding is not okay.

Gatehouse Ami? Really? How is...wat. No.

My vote goes to Lysa. Cersei is too out for number 1 to make the cut of "Not really that bad but pretty shitty looking."

Lysa is a sad, sad sop. But shes so horrible about it that i cant help but really not like her or even feel too much pity.

Do you hold Randyl in contempt? He's a bigger dick than Scott from Canada but I don't hold him in contempt. He's a necessary dick. If you had to have someone to unleash would you rather it be The Mountain or Randyl?

Who is Scott from Canada?

And yes I hold him in contempt. He made his sons life a living hell, threatened to kill him, ordered a woman's vagina to be scrubbed with lye, said Brienne needs a good raping. He's disgusting.

Saying he's not as bad as arguably the worst person in Westeros isn't saying much.

Archived