World of Ice and Fire App Update

I can try to find out next week.

Thanks, that would be great! Maybe might even nudge them to consider including an English language option, if they didn't think about it before.

I only worked on the new editions from ACoK onwards, so I've nothing to do with many of the principal decisions. And the translations should also be much better from ACoK onwards since I compared the text to the English original and tried to rectify as many mistakes as possible.

Glad to hear that translations are now in good hands! ASOIAF deserves better than the usual godawful quality of sf/fantasy translations into German. I have always wondered why they are so bad compared to those of mainstream fiction. Are they done really cheaply? Or is it just snobism?

BTW, speaking of the App, does it include canonical birth dates for important characters like Tyrion, Renly, Jaime, etc? I see that they now have birth dates in the wiki, do those come from the App? Is there firm date for Defiance of Duskendale? Thanks.

Thanks, that would be great! Maybe might even nudge them to consider including an English language option, if they didn't think about it before.

Glad to hear that translations are now in good hands! ASOIAF deserves better than the usual godawful quality of sf/fantasy translations into German. I have always wondered why they are so bad compared to those of mainstream fiction. Are they done really cheaply? Or is it just snobism?

BTW, speaking of the App, does it include canonical birth dates for important characters like Tyrion, Renly, Jaime, etc? I see that they now have birth dates in the wiki, do those come from the App? Is there firm date for Defiance of Duskendale? Thanks.

Confirmed birth years for the wiki would be an improvement.. I'm working on calculating those that can be calculated now, and expect to be able to put my work on the wiki soon, complete with a page (that already exist, but needs a big update) explaining how to get to those numbers. It can be done for more characters than I originally expected :)

Well, if we could get confirmed birth dates, I'd would add them to German version, of course. Some interesting dates are confirmed, for instance, the Dany section states that she was five years old when Ser Willem Darry caught his terminal illness.

Does it also happen to state when he died? How long he was sick?

Something I spied when having had a chance to look at someone else's phone (which can run the app). It is stated that Elia was 14 or 15, and Oberyn 13 or 14 when they visited Casterly Rock, which is younger than Oberyns book statement of "14 or 15 thereabouts". Is this a confirmation on Oberyn having been wrong a year, or has the app simply made a continuity error there?

Something I spied when having had a chance to look at someone else's phone (which can run the app). It is stated that Elia was 14 or 15, and Oberyn 13 or 14 when they visited Casterly Rock, which is younger than Oberyns book statement of "14 or 15 thereabouts". Is this a confirmation on Oberyn having been wrong a year, or has the app simply made a continuity error there?

He seemed to have correctly estimated the ages of Jaime and Cersei - 8 or 9. I think that it is a minor error in the app.

He seemed to have correctly estimated the ages of Jaime and Cersei - 8 or 9. I think that it is a minor error in the app.

It would align with Tyrion saying he was ten years in 283AC.. which he does in Dance.

Ran? Could you perhaps help with this? Oberyns statements put Tyrions birth in 274, but in Dance Tyrions statement makes that impossible.

In Storm, Oberyn states he was "14 or 15 thereabouts, Elia a year older" when he visited Casterly Rock. Oberyns statements place Tyrions birth in 274AC.

In Dance, Tyrion states he was 10 when Roberts Rebellion ended, which does not line up with Oberyns statements.

In the app, Oberyn is said to have been 13 or 14 years old when visiting Casterly Rock, and Elia 14 or 15. This would fit with Tyrions statement in Dance, and place his birth in 273AC.

So I am now wondering which account is the correct one? Was Oberyn only vaguely telling his own age in Storm, and was he wrong by a year, making the app correct? Or are the ages of Oberyn and Elia in the app wrong, and was Oberyn in the books factually correct? And how does Tyrions memory, who normally tells it always exactly, fit into this?

Well, if we could get confirmed birth dates, I'd would add them to German version, of course. Some interesting dates are confirmed, for instance, the Dany section states that she was five years old when Ser Willem Darry caught his terminal illness.

Interesting, that would seem to put it relatively close to Connington's "death" and Aegon being put in his care.

For anyone digging into conspiracy theory: The App states in Dany's entry during her time in Vaes Tolorro, that 'the strange, masked woman' only 'calls herself Quaithe of the Shadow'. People believing that she is various historical female figures of Westeros may take this as a hint...

For anyone digging into conspiracy theory: The App states in Dany's entry during her time in Vaes Tolorro, that 'the strange, masked woman' only 'calls herself Quaithe of the Shadow'. People believing that she is various historical female figures of Westeros may take this as a hint...

You are going to have to be more blunt than that, I'm not one for subtleties :lol:

Well, all I can say about that is that it is intriguing that a woman from the Shadowlands would speak the Common Tongue as well as Quaithe. It's the same with Melisandre, really. There has to be more to the than meets the eye. And there is in Quaithe's case, since her face is hidden behind a mask. And Mel's true appearance is most like hid behind a glamor, too. So we are in for a few surprises, I guess.

It's said Melisandre has an accent, "spiced with the songs of the Jade Sea" or something similiar.

Quaithe speaks it flawlessly, then again, Tyrion notes that Moqorro speaks the common tongue almost with no accent.

Yeah, Mel has an accent, but I guess this could be explained by her spending decades outside of Westeros. Talk to a German permanently moving into an English speaking country and you get surprising accents a few decades later...

Do the Undying of Qarth really 'try to kill Daenerys with magic and take her dragon'? I never saw it like that. I interpreted the whole thing as attempt to suck Dany's life force and destiny to extent their existence another century or so - something like that. Drogon being in there was not their plan - he saves Dany and breaks the spell, which indicates to me that they were not really interested in him at all.

And by the way: Do you think I should include some prophecies of the Undying into the text? The English version only mentions the vision of Rhaegar, Elia, and Aegon.

Archived