Is Melisandre delusional or evil?

hiemal

Thoughts? She seems to be the only servant of the Red Lord convinced that Stannis fits the profile of AAR better than Dany. Is she simply mistaken (whether through willfull ignorance or the manipulation of the Other) or is she actively up to no good?

I haven't been able to decide- while she gives off creepy in spades her narratives don't contradict her story as told by others (that I've noticed).

Thoughts? She seems to be the only servant of the Red Lord convinced that Stannis fits the profile of AAR better than Dany. Is she simply mistaken (whether through willfull ignorance or the manipulation of the Other) or is she actively up to no good?

I haven't been able to decide- while she gives off creepy in spades her narratives don't contradict her story as told by others (that I've noticed).

I sincerely doubt that "The Other" actually exists, or is exactly how the red priests describe him.

Anyway, yes, she is highly delusional.

I sincerely doubt that "The Other" actually exists, or is exactly how the red priests describe him.

I have no doubt that the Other is not as the red priests describe him- this is GRRM- but my real doubt as his to existence would be framed more as does he exist seperately from the Red Lord himself. There seems to be some player at work, whatever its true identity or nature.

Delusional, she believes herself to be a force for good. She's misguided of course, though to what degree remains to be seen - but most people agree that she's totally wrong about Stannis, at the very least.

not mutually exclusive

We've been inside her head though, and she genuinely seems to have what she perceives as the greater good in mind. Of course it could be argued she's evil anyway, because actions weigh heavier than intent (and I'll agree).

She's ruthless, she has power and influence, and she's potentially dangerously delusional about the situation AND she believes herself a force for good - and that's a cocktail for some "serious shit" right there.

Evil? No. Delusional? Yep, she thinks she's the hero of her own story and that everything she does is for the greater good

She's sailing to the right port, but she has taken the wrong ship.

:agree:

I mean, if we compare her to the other red priests we know, save Thoros, they are all as devoted (and intolerant towards other religions) as her. Although Moqorro and Benerro are better at reading the flames, she got herself to be in the spot of a big something that her fellow priests didn;t catch yet. If we consider that the Others are the bad guys, and all these priests are somehow trying to stop them, they are not evil. So no, she;s not evil, just very very creepy.

Her problem is, imho, that she's so into herself being the sheperd of the flock that she's not seeing that there's no flock, and she's guiding herself with a broken compass.

Her delusions are for power and glory, and ego, so no, not delusional like crazy.

Didn't Mel seem like she wanted to go to wall ? And coincidentally she gets stronger at the wall when she is near BR and the Others... I think Mel knows she is deceiving Stannis.

Well, as a free woman she could have just sailed there herself originally instead of heading to Dragonstone if that was the case...

I think delusional, and full of hubris - either she believes she alone interprets prophecy correctly, or perhaps she thinks she can conjure it into coming true through her actions.

She isn't really delusional, she's just misinterpreting prophecies. We don't know what vision led her to believe Stannis is AAR, but from the ones we have seen they can be pretty vague; and since she joined Stannis before the events of AGOT it's entirely possible that he was the best match she knew of. After all, the primary candidate for actually being AAR is Dany, who at that point was nowhere even close to being a messianic figure of any sort and wasn't even the last Targaryen, with Jon, whose connection to fire was known by between two and five or six people and again didn't have much in the way of messianic tendencies, being the runner-up.

Archived