Multiple 'Game of Thrones' Movies Eyed by George R.R. Martin

Veltigar

This discussion makes me so angry!!! I do not want a movie. I do not want a prequel movie, a sequel movie, or a movie conclusion. I do not want a game, trading cards, or a broadway play. I WANT the remaining 2(3) BOOKS first. Then I am more than willing to read and learn about movie budgets, time lines, actor contracts, and such. But first and foremost, I want GRRM to finish the story he started and I want to be able to waltz into my local bookstore, put money down, and go home to wander in Westeros for the final times.

I do not want GRRM engaged in discussions about transforming his work into feature film UNTIL I get the concluding works transformed into my imagination. Already, I have faced the fact that the tv show will probably tell me the end. I can and will adjust if that is the way this goes.
But I WANT the remaining books. Have I mentioned that already? :-)

Of course, it doesn't matter what Martin wants at this point...it's all up to HBO, and they've shot down the movie idea already.

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/game_of_thrones_movie_no_conversations_going_on_hbo-2014-07

In any case, it really doesn't make fiscal sense for HBO to sink more money into a movie at greater risk than it would cost them to make a season of the show with much lower risk.

He sounds silly...why/how would HBO pay for a $100 M movie? I know the show gets good ratings, but what sort of turn out would they get in theaters? Decent opening weekend and then nothing.

As for D+E, those are short stories. I mean, maybe if you did like two movies and covered all 12 stories, sure, but the first three stories (while I love them) are fairly low scale and would not translate very well to screen

As for D+E, those are short stories. I mean, maybe if you did like two movies and covered all 12 stories, sure, but the first three stories (while I love them) are fairly low scale and would not translate very well to screen

Lol what? You might have a point about tSS, but tMK and tHK have a lot of potential. High drama, action in the form of the joust. A capable director can do a lot with those.

He sounds silly...why/how would HBO pay for a $100 M movie? I know the show gets good ratings, but what sort of turn out would they get in theaters? Decent opening weekend and then nothing.

Sex and the City made over $150M in box on a budget of $65. Fellowship of the Ring made $316M on a budget just shy of $100M.

A Game of Thrones movie I suspect would fit right in between, making $200M on a budget of $83. If it was an actual movie, with a beginning, middle, and end that would be satisfying even for non-TV watchers, and was good, it may do a little better than that.

Lol what? You might have a point about tSS, but tMK and tHK have a lot of potential. High drama, action in the form of the joust. A capable director can do a lot with those.

Tons of potential. I think D&E tales done frank miller style would be mad sick. Or even Clone wars - like would allow for scope. Anything besides what they did with the movie heath leger and Bobby B were in, nothing like that. Can't remember the name of the movie.

Tons of potential. I think D&E tales done frank miller style would be mad sick. Or even Clone wars - like would allow for scope. Anything besides what they did with the movie heath leger and Bobby B were in, nothing like that. Can't remember the name of the movie.

'A knights tale'.

A Game of Thrones movie I suspect would fit right in between, making $200M on a budget of $83. If it was an actual movie, with a beginning, middle, and end that would be satisfying even for non-TV watchers, and was good, it may do a little better than that.

You would never be able to do a GOT movie on $83 million. Star salaries alone would be huge, given that it's highly, highly unlikely their contracts say anything about films so they would have to negotiate from scratch.

Sex and the City made over $150M in box on a budget of $65. Fellowship of the Ring made $316M on a budget just shy of $100M.

There's no way they would only have an $83m budget for a full GoT movie, especially if there were big battles like Martin is claiming. $150m is probably closer to the mark for a full-scale action movie with that many actors, big battle sequences and so much CGI.

Plus you have the problem that fans of the show would feel ripped off having to go to see a movie wrap up the series after they paid for HBO to watch the series in the first place. It just makes no sense.

There's no way they would only have an $83m budget for a full GoT movie, especially if there were big battles like Martin is claiming. $150m is probably closer to the mark for a full-scale action movie with that many actors, big battle sequences and so much CGI.

Plus you have the problem that fans of the show would feel ripped off having to go to see a movie wrap up the series after they paid for HBO to watch the series in the first place. It just makes no sense.

I'm not advocating for or against it. I'm just saying that the argument that it wouldn't work from a financial standpoint doesn't really hold up. I am certain that it would make money for HBO/WB.

I am also certain that actor salaries may not be as high as you think, since I suspect the main cast will be pared quite a bit by the end. It's estimated that HBO lays out between $60 and $80M per season of GoT, I don't think an overall budget of between $80-100M is out of the question.

I'm not advocating for or against it. I'm just saying that the argument that it wouldn't work from a financial standpoint doesn't really hold up. I am certain that it would make money for HBO/WB.

I am also certain that actor salaries may not be as high as you think, since I suspect the main cast will be pared quite a bit by the end. It's estimated that HBO lays out between $60 and $80M per season of GoT, I don't think an overall budget of between $80-100M is out of the question.

I think that would be a terrible movie with such a low budget. It's one thing to make a tv show look good on the small screen, it's another to make it look great on the big screen. Suggesting a battle on the show world when they don't have the money to shoot much of it, but that won't fly on a movie.

And I think you are underestimating how much the actors would be paid. It would be a significant increase to what they are paid now, because they have the upper hand. A finale movie can't be made without them- very different from when they got the part initially.

It's a nonsensical risk when they can simply expend what they expend already and keep making a ton of money.

If the hype continues to grow in the next 2 years, they could even manage a 150$ millions, because they could make their money back. HBO likes to experiment, thay have a mother company behind them, so they don't need to provide all the money, especially because they are a TV channel. Why a movie could be a success??? Because nobody would know the ending, including all the readers, we would all want to know what happens, especially if we're promised huge dragon battles. I mean come on, they're making huge movies from Dragonriders of Pern, a series of books that is nowhere near the popularity of ASOIAF/GOT.

If the hype continues to grow in the next 2 years, they could even manage a 150$ millions, because they could make their money back. HBO likes to experiment, thay have a mother company behind them, so they don't need to provide all the money, especially because they are a TV channel. Why a movie could be a success??? Because nobody would know the ending, including all the readers, we would all want to know what happens, especially if we're promised huge dragon battles. I mean come on, they're making huge movies from Dragonriders of Pern, a series of books that is nowhere near the popularity of ASOIAF/GOT.

Perm wouldn't be rated R. R-rated movies don't make as much as PG-13, and GoT would be a tragedy if they had to cut stuff out to make it a lower rating. They don't have that problem on tv. They will still have the hype and it will be a huge event when the show ends, even without a movie.

HBO is making a mint already. There's no good reason for them to make the finale into a movie. It doesn't make business sense.

Perm wouldn't be rated R. R-rated movies don't make as much as PG-13, and GoT would be a tragedy if they had to cut stuff out to make it a lower rating. They don't have that problem on tv. They will still have the hype and it will be a huge event when the show ends, even without a movie.

HBO is making a mint already. There's no good reason for them to make the finale into a movie. It doesn't make business sense.

Of course it does.... money. If you think you can make 150-200 millions in profit from a movie, why not make it?? I may be wrong but I think HBO belongs to Warner Bros. Anyway, nowadays you can get away with so many things when rating a movie.... if you don't show any blood, you can kill as many people as you want, they won't burn your rating. You are allowed 2 fucks I think before the R rate you :). They could use any other curse words and could get a pass. They've already started to reduce the nudity, by season 7 they could take it out completely. Yup, I really think they could make it a PG-13 (not saying it would necessarily be wise), depending on what the ending is.

Of course it does.... money. If you think you can make 150-200 millions in profit from a movie, why not make it?? I may be wrong but I think HBO belongs to Warner Bros. Anyway, nowadays you can get away with so many things when rating a movie.... if you don't show any blood, you can kill as many people as you want, they won't burn your rating. You are allowed 2 fucks I think before the R rate you :). They could use any other curse words and could get a pass. They've already started to reduce the nudity, by season 7 they could take it out completely. Yup, I really think they could make it a PG-13 (not saying it would necessarily be wise), depending on what the ending is.

I would absolutely hate that.

Sigh. I wish the media or fans who keep asking him about a movie would stop bringing it up, and I wish he would stop answering them in such a fashion. Just results in the same nonsense over and over again. A media outlet posts his latest quotes, the same old discussion happens yet again when HBO has already shot it down.

An R rated movie, which requires the viewing of at a minimum 70 episodes of a television show that aired on premium cable is not going to be anywhere as successful as those who throw this out there think it will be.

And let's not kid ourselves. Doing it in a movie will force a lot of cuts. GRRM complains a lot already about very minor characters being cut.

Stop the dreaming, you're only bound to be disappointed if you put any hope in this nonsense at all.

Fellowship was filmed 13 years ago in a single location (New Zealand) Also all three movies were filmed simultaneously so Jackson actually spent 281 million dollars but got 10 hours of footage.

. Costs are much higher today and GOT is spread out over four countries. A budget of 200 million is more likely.

Archived