Multiple 'Game of Thrones' Movies Eyed by George R.R. Martin

Veltigar

I wish desperately that were true, but unfortunately I think we've passed that point. If it was just him and the publishers saying "It's definitely not coming in 2014," that's a completely reasonable candidate for misdirection. It's actually extremely common, that an anticipated release is vehemently denied up until the proper announcement comes out.

But we've gone passed that... with George saying first "I hope they'll spend 3 seasons on books 4 and 5," then "I think they'll take a break and adapt Dunk & Egg or other prequel material first," and then arriving upon "well I envision us finishing the series with a bunch of movies that will take a long time to make." If this is a calculated effort in misdirection than George is as elaborate and convincing a hoaxster as ever I've imagined. There's no way all this jibber jabber is intended just to make us think George is at the end of the rope, when in reality he's already done with book 6. This kind of behaviour points to George being genuinely concerned and grappling with the fact that the show will surpass the books before he can finish writing them.

If the show has had to cut so much stuff in the books to make TV scenes less unwieldy, how in the hellhole would a two hour movies wrap up this series? Unless they go Twilight or Harry Potter on fans with A Dream of Spring, part 1, part 2...part 35.

So when exactly do you think they would have the time to film these episodes ?

I would think budget is the more limiting factor. A few extra hours on the same set at the same time can go a long way for numbers of episodes. There are plenty of shows that run 20 or more episode seasons.

Anyway it is just a personal wish. I know it's not gonna happen or anything.

I would think budget is the more limiting factor. A few extra hours on the same set at the same time can go a long way for numbers of episodes. There are plenty of shows that run 20 or more episode seasons.

Anyway it is just a personal wish. I know it's not gonna happen or anything.

This has been covered over and over again. They can't produce more than 10 hours of content in the amount of time given. Writing, pre-production, filming, post puduction all run year-round in order to meet the deadline for the show to go to air. It's not money (well, of course money is a factor), it's time.

To compare GoT and it's production cycle to other shows is ridiculous. It's the equivilant of producing a 10 hour Hollywood movie and they have to do it every year in a shorter period of total time movie productions are able to manage for 2 hour features.

I love the suggestion that all the show needs to to is make people work longer hours and they'd be able to churn out more content. The assumption with that is that they are knocking off for the day at 5:00 and dicking around the rest of the time.

This has been covered over and over again. They can't produce more than 10 hours of content in the amount of time given. Writing, pre-production, filming, post puduction all run year-round in order to meet the deadline for the show to go to air. It's not money (well, of course money is a factor), it's time.

To compare GoT and it's production cycle to other shows is ridiculous. It's the equivilant of producing a 10 hour Hollywood movie and they have to do it every year in a shorter period of total time movie productions are able to manage for 2 hour features.

I love the suggestion that all the show needs to to is make people work longer hours and they'd be able to churn out more content. The assumption with that is that they are knocking off for the day at 5:00 and dicking around the rest of the time.

Dude! no need for the exasperation! I was only expressing a personal wish. Relax.

I like this show and wish each season was a little bit longer.

• 4 weeks later...

I had said on a previous topic post that I thought GOT should have been made into multiple movies like LOTR. I caught a little hell for that but let me elaborate:

LOTR 3 books=3 movies

So, GOT would be multiple movies, not simply three. A financial risk? I don't think so. LOTR made a lot of money.

And the option of making additional movies to cover the pre-history of GOT would still be an option. Star Wars did that successfully.

I'm simply pointing out that IMO, a better option could have been struck and I'm still hopeful for at least the history being made into a movie or several movies.

Those that only watch the show just don't get the bigger picture. And sadly, the show isn't doing this remarkable work justice. Although, Martin may well die before he finishes these books. His gritty realism has thrilled and angered me, and I want more!

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with Martin. I hope he rights many wrongs by the end. And I hope he doesn't take the easy way out by ending the series like Stephen King did with the Towers.

Any thoughts?

The same ideas were tossed up for the Sopranos and Breaking Bad. It's not gonna happen. You get the movie after the finale, not as the finale.

His line of thinking matches Doran Martell perfectly: obscure, prevaricate, dissemble, and delay. He's criticized for not producing his books fast enough so what does he want to do? Delay the TV series and add more material in the form of movies and prequels trilogies. It's unreal. :lol:

I'm used to creative types always making big promises about future projects and maybe making good on 2 promises out of 20 but Jesus Christ GRRM.

1) I agree with the idea of a 2-hour finale. That's probably how it wraps up. I think GOT is destined to be the biggest show on the small screen.

2) The only reason I'd love a movie trilogy (covering the final book) is the budget for big battles. I'm tired of "Whew! What a massive battle that just happened!"

3) Yes, the Fist of the First Men battle was presented as flashbacks, but in the book it didn't really matter. We still "saw/experienced" the events.

4) Because the possibility of GOT movies is fun to debate, let me just add this: the mediocre and rated R 300: Rise of An Empire (featuring our own Lena Headey!) nabbed over 320M worldwide so far.

I had said on a previous topic post that I thought GOT should have been made into multiple movies like LOTR. I caught a little hell for that but let me elaborate:

LOTR 3 books=3 movies

So, GOT would be multiple movies, not simply three. A financial risk? I don't think so. LOTR made a lot of money.

And the option of making additional movies to cover the pre-history of GOT would still be an option. Star Wars did that successfully.

I'm simply pointing out that IMO, a better option could have been struck and I'm still hopeful for at least the history being made into a movie or several movies.

Those that only watch the show just don't get the bigger picture. And sadly, the show isn't doing this remarkable work justice. Although, Martin may well die before he finishes these books. His gritty realism has thrilled and angered me, and I want more!

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with Martin. I hope he rights many wrongs by the end. And I hope he doesn't take the easy way out by ending the series like Stephen King did with the Towers.

Any thoughts?

You would need 3 movies per book to even somewhat accurately make an adaption (9 hrs per book, 3 hr per movie). That would mean around 21 movies for 7 books. It usually takes about 3 years to release one film, two at the quickest. Either way that is over 50 years for an adaption of a single book series. This is all assuming we are going to have an adaption that maintains the characters the television show does. I don't see any actor/writer/director to want to be tied to a single set of films for that long. Hell most will probably end up dead at some point before the series ends.

The only course for a realistic film adaption would be to completely change the story or focus on a small cast of characters like Jon or Dany. GRRM didn't want this and thus the books are on HBO.

I say he's trying to buy himself some time. HBO bought the film and TV rights to ASoIaF, so they decide whether or not to make the movies. Dunk and Egg is great, but it happens too far in the past for prequels.

I think it would be like a bonus mini series, that and it would be so cool if they did a mini series for the events leading up to the rebellion

Not gonna' happen. There's a big difference between what HBO did with the Sex & The City films (which were released several years after the series had ended, and acted more as an epilogue than an ending to the story) and the upcoming Entourage film (which will act in much the same way as the aforementioned) than with Game of Thrones.

They aren't going to have seven or eight years of build-up on the show, only to tell their subscribers that they now have to go to the movies to see how it all ends. The Dunk & Egg series is a possibility, but I just don't think the interest is there for a feature length theatrical film there, either.

This is just Martin being all 'blue sky' and what not.

The stories have the right length for a movie, one of the main books from ASOIAF would be way too long for a movie and I think we're all glad that they became a TV series. With regard to the possible success, I have to say that "A Knight's Tale" with Heath Ledger has many similarities with THK, so you definitely could make a movie out of it, that would have way more depth than the Heath film. I really see potential there (and I had the same idea even before I read this article)

You would need 3 movies per book to even somewhat accurately make an adaption (9 hrs per book, 3 hr per movie). That would mean around 21 movies for 7 books. It usually takes about 3 years to release one film, two at the quickest. Either way that is over 50 years for an adaption of a single book series. This is all assuming we are going to have an adaption that maintains the characters the television show does. I don't see any actor/writer/director to want to be tied to a single set of films for that long. Hell most will probably end up dead at some point before the series ends.

The only course for a realistic film adaption would be to completely change the story or focus on a small cast of characters like Jon or Dany. GRRM didn't want this and thus the books are on HBO.

:lmao:

This reminds me so much of "if Santa was real"... But, yeah, you're right. When you do the math, ASoIaF in movies really looks like a bad idea.

• 3 months later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/song-of-ice-and-fire-author-george-rr-martin-on-success-chess-and-the-wrath-of-superfans-9652448.html

In Game of Thrones, by contrast, all is flux and chaos. This is TV drama on an epic, cinematic scale – one reason why Martin is so keen to round off the series with an actual movie.

"If we go seven or eight seasons and then the show is still big enough that we can get the $200m to finance a huge epic movie to end it… sure!" he enthuses about the prospect of a big-screen version.

In spite of the huge cast and very big budget ($6m per episode) of the television series, it is a source of frustration to the writer that not even HBO has the resources to do full justice to the original series of novels.

"We still run into budgetary problems. We've done a couple of great battles, for example, the Black Water battle in season two that I scripted and in this past season, episode nine was one long battle – the Battle of the Wall. Those have been great episodes, but we've also had to skip half the battles. Instead we have a messenger run on from off stage and say 'We've won the battle!' Battles are very expensive."

Martin would like any Game of Thrones movie to do full justice to the battles and to be shown on the biggest screen possible – but he does draw the line at 3D.

"I don't care about 3D," he says. "It gives me a headache."

We really have no idea how GRRM plans on ending the series. Could it be that he realizes that ending the series properly just wouldn't be possible on TV?

Perhaps 2 movies to wrap up roughly the second half of ADOS is something that would work best to stay true to the source material and provide a great experience for the fans.

2 movies would probably take 5 years to complete after Season 6 or 7 of the television show. Enough to finish the book series whilst maintaining excitement for the current TV fans? I think so.

Archived