Multiple 'Game of Thrones' Movies Eyed by George R.R. Martin

Veltigar

There’s been recent talk about a “Game of Thrones” movie to finish the series.

GRRM: Yes, I got in trouble for that. [laughs]

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/03/21/george-r-r-martin-shelved-game-of-thrones-cameo-to-work-on-winds-of-winter/

George should have said something along the lines of "I'd actually like to see the series end in a video game", just to get people more riled up.

Here's a Wall Street Journal interview with GRRM that just got posted.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/03/21/george-r-r-martin-shelved-game-of-thrones-cameo-to-work-on-winds-of-winter/

He talks about S5 here:

Usually you write one episode per season. Are you doing that again this time?

I am.

Can you tell me about it?

No, not really. [laughs] It’ll be a good one. I haven’t started on it yet. We’re still breaking down what happens in season 5. I had a meeting with [showrunners] David [benioff] and Dan [Weiss] just a couple of days ago here in New York to discuss the overarching plots of season 5.

We’re starting on season 5 right now. Mind you—there is actually no season 5, so maybe I shouldn’t be saying that

Nice to hear that Martin is still involved in the breaking down of the season. There has been a lot of talk about how Martin is only involved to the extent of getting his script outline for the episode he’s responsible for and having to write to that. Obviously, they still work closely with him in mapping out the outlines as well. At the end of the day, D&D will make final calls but they’re still utilizing George, as they should.

Here's a Wall Street Journal interview with GRRM that just got posted.

He talks about S5 here:

Nice to hear that Martin is still involved in the breaking down of the season. There has been a lot of talk about how Martin is only involved to the extent of getting his script outline for the episode he’s responsible for and having to write to that. Obviously, they still work closely with him in mapping out the outlines as well. At the end of the day, D&D will make final calls but they’re still utilizing George, as they should.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We know that they map the season right after the shooting of the previous one, so I'd assume they've already finished the outlines and stuff. They're not "starting" season 5 now (three months before the shooting). I guess what Martin referred to as a "reunion to map the season" was more likely a meeting in which they gave him the outline for his episode and talked about what they're going to do for season 5.

Btw, this means Martin will spend the next few weeks writing his script for season 5 instead of writing the next book. Great.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We know that they map the season right after the shooting of the previous one, so I'd assume they've already finished the outlines and stuff. They're not "starting" season 5 now (three months before the shooting). I guess what Martin referred to as a "reunion to map the season" was more likely a meeting in which they gave him the outline for his episode and talked about what they're going to do for season 5.

Btw, this means Martin will spend the next few weeks writing his script for season 5 instead of writing the next book. Great.

They don't really get into the nuts and bolts of the mapping after filming because there is all the post-production work that needs to be done on the upcoming season that takes them into the new year. I'm sure they've got a general idea but from what Cogman has said, they all get in the writer's room in Jan/Feb to look at how the next season is going to look and then the next couple months are spent refining that in order to get to the point where they can put the actual scripts together. They would be right in the middle of that process now and I have no illusions that George plays a huge role in this, he's clearly still being consulted during the time they're working through the overall structure. He's saying clearly in this interview that they aren't at the point where they are ready to write the scripts. He evens says specifically "breaking down Season 5" which means that he's involved in that process to a degree (even if it's more at the end).

So he's not just handed a script outline and told to write it by a deadline as some here have speculated. That much is clear.

I had the impression they were further along in the scripting process this time last year.

Cogman tweeted last week that he hasn't yet written his episode.

Part of me thinks (read: hopes, bordering on deludes myself) that they are waiting to see how big the viewership for season 4 is before making the final decision about how much story to cover in S5, and by extension how many seasons they want to wrap the show up in.

Cogman tweeted last week that he hasn't yet written his episode.

Part of me thinks (read: hopes, bordering on deludes myself) that they are waiting to see how big the viewership for season 4 is before making the final decision about how much story to cover in S5, and by extension how many seasons they want to wrap the show up in.

The viewership will be big enough. The big task will be not to lose viewers in the upcoming seasons, since AFFC and ADWD are slower books.

Seriously I believe he's finished winds of winter already and will announce a June-July release at the premier this week at his cinema

I admire you're positivity, man! Who knows though? I'll jump on the optimistic bandwagon too!

Seriously I believe he's finished winds of winter already and will announce a June-July release at the premier this week at his cinema

Except he told the Brazilian press that he was nowhere near done with TWoW. Even it you doubt their reliability, you have to wonder why he never disputed the quote. He wouldn't have to say anything about the book not being done. He could deny saying it.

Archived