Multiple 'Game of Thrones' Movies Eyed by George R.R. Martin

Veltigar

HBO will probably make a simple calculation, how many potential movie-goer this show has, how much they'll earn with the DVD-sales, how they would involve other companies, etc. It's not like there've been no such decisions before. Specifically HBO seems to be open to that: They discussed the idea about a concluding movie already with Rome and Deadwood. Sex and the City has already been mentioned.

The big problem I see here is: Will GRRM care to adjust the ending to the limited possibilities of a TV-show or will he dare to make it unfilmable within the modest means of GoT's SFX-budget?

I already dread the big battle that will start WoW at Meereen, considering how much special effects will have to be involved even in comparison to Blackwater. Similar the many special effects needed for the drastic winter the series is headed at. If HBO does not increase the budget even more, a lot of things will either look cheap or not be shown at all, just like the battle at the Fist of the First Men, which I found really disappointing.

HBO will probably make a simple calculation, how many potential movie-goer this show has, how much they'll earn with the DVD-sales, how they would involve other companies, etc. It's not like there've been no such decisions before. Specifically HBO seems to be open to that: They discussed the idea about a concluding movie already with Rome and Deadwood. Sex and the City has already been mentioned.

The big problem I see here is: Will GRRM care to adjust the ending to the limited possibilities of a TV-show or will he dare to make it unfilmable within the modest means of GoT's SFX-budget?

I already dread the big battle that will start WoW at Meereen, considering how much special effects will have to be involved even in comparison to Blackwater. Similar the many special effects needed for the drastic winter the series is headed at. If HBO does not increase the budget even more, a lot of things will either look cheap or not be shown at all, just like the battle at the Fist of the First Men, which I found really disappointing.

Wasn't that battle mostly flashbacks? I remember it as part of GRRM's never ending quest to avoid describing the Others.

I could see them turning The Princess and the Queen into a movie (the budget needed for the aerial dragon battles kind of demands it). And since it's a prequel, people who haven't watched the series can jump in without knowing anything. Some people have suggested the Dunk and Egg novelas as movies, but I think they're too small-scale, and they only need to be a mini-series.

However, as many people have pointed out, Game of Thrones is only hugely popular as a cable TV show. Let's say the ratings level out at about 6 million viewers per episode. Factor in $10 per movie ticket, and that's about a $60 million opening weekend, because we all know the people who pirate the show will pirate the movie as well. They're not likely to gain any fans when you have to watch 6 or 7 seasons to understand what's going on in the movie. Just another example of George being in denial of the fact that the series is coming at him non-stop.

Let me say in advance that I apologize for previously dismissing the notion that Martin had lost the plot regarding the adaptation of his book series. Clearly, that is very much the case.

If you want to take any goods news from this, it seems that he is at least aware of how perilous his situation is if he aspires to complete the book series before the conclusion of the television show.

Now, quite obviously, that is never going to happen, but even saying that, this should at least bring the release of The Winds of Winter forward more quickly. He is, if nothing else, feeling the flames licking at his feet.

I would love to think that there could be films with proper budgets. Let's face it, they would be amazing, but the second I start hoping and getting excited, it won't happen lol So I'll remain safely planted on planet Skeptical right now, just outside the 'Hmmm' nebula....

Another thing, no studio would spend the $150+ million that a full-scale fantasy film version of this would cost and have it be rated R.

A good point.

Like 2012 were billions die, and we get a family friendly movie!

O well the future books may not have as much 'adult' content in them.?

I have this picture in my head of an ice encased Battle of the Pelennor Fields only bigger and lasting longer....all the forces of Westeros and Esos against the minions of The Great Other.

200 million might be an underestimate.

Doubt that's what GRRM has in mind.

You cannot get anyone at HBO or Hollywood to bankroll the god only knows how many millions of dollars it would take, to do what are R rated fantasy films. Period.

Lately, Martin to me is sounding a little like Cersei's chapters in AFFC...the level of delusion is hysterically funny yet pitiful at the same time.

Series almost never get made into movies. Didn't work with The Borgias, Rome, Angel, Deadwood...the list trawls on. Now, some separate Dunk and Egg movies, that's a possibility. But if A Song of Ice and Fire started a series, it's gonna end a series.

Princess and the Queen could make such a kickass movie if they expanded the emotional parts and fleshed out the characters. But maybe that's just my ladyboner for the Daemon and Aemond fight talking.

the only way GoT could work on the big screen is if

1) if there aren't so many seperate storylines, although for aDos i reckon this would be less of a problem as the characters would be drawing closer together, as GRRM has said will happen.

2) You have enough people who watch the show to justify making based off of purely them going to see it, otherwise the film would spend half its time attempting to explain 6 books worth of stuff. Even if this did happen, you'd have to have an even bigger audience to justify the big budget that would probably be the point of making it in the first place

So, its unlikely either of those things will happen. I wouldn't mind a film focusing on say, the climax of aDoS, but they couldnt get through much material in just a couple of hours. They might be able to do half a book if they stretched it to 3 hours and cut the character building scenes. They might end up doing a TV Move on HBO instead, which wouldnt be that bad.

Still, I prefer TV as a way of doing things, it makes you care a lot more about characters than films do, plus GoT works amazingly for TV and if they made films of it there wouldnt be any guarantee of it being as good. So i dont think they should do an entire book in movies. Maybe they could just pump more money into the final season, and extend the final episode but an hour. I think some other stuff from the history of planetos could definitely work though. Robert's Rebellion, The Dance of Dragons, and Dunk & Egg all spring to mind as things that could work as films, tv movies, or even mini-series.

Still, I prefer TV as a way of doing things, it makes you care a lot more about characters than films do, plus GoT works amazingly for TV and if they made films of it there wouldnt be any guarantee of it being as good. So i dont think they should do an entire book in movies. Maybe they could just pump more money into the final season, and extend the final episode but an hour. I think some other stuff from the history of planetos could definitely work though. Robert's Rebellion, The Dance of Dragons, and Dunk & Egg all spring to mind as things that could work as films, tv movies, or even mini-series.

:agree:

I'd LOVE to see a Robert's Rebellion movie. But a movie-version of the tv-show would just be like watching 2 or 3 episodes in a row. I see no reason for it, and I'd much prefer to keep the narrative within the TV show format.

Of course, Martin knows more about how the series will end than anyone, and given his insistance that the whole story couldn't be done as a feature film in the first place, I'm willing to give him some slack on this.

It could be that the ending is a huge War Of The Dawn-style throwdown, with most of the plotlines resolved in the TV series finale. That way the show would have resolutions to most of the plotlines, and the movie could be the denoument of the supernatural storyline.

That way also they could probably keep the movie PG-13. No horrible boobies, just fire and blood. :P

Seems like HBO would be cheating its subscribers by saving the story's resolution for the big screen. It'd be pretty tacky to just tell its paying customers, "You've been loyal for all these years, but sorry, you'll need to be paying more to see how it all ends." I don't know if that's ever been done before? Off the top of my head, only the "X Files" movies, but those were standalone stories...

Seems like HBO would be cheating its subscribers by saving the story's resolution for the big screen. It'd be pretty tacky to just tell its paying customers, "You've been loyal for all these years, but sorry, you'll need to be paying more to see how it all ends." I don't know if that's ever been done before? Off the top of my head, only the "X Files" movies, but those were standalone stories...

I suspect HBO will grant themselves first broadcast rights to the movie, so diehard subscribers who refuse to go to the movies (all five of them) would probably only need to wait about three months.

For the reasons stated above a movie logistically is very unlikely to happen And even if it could, a movie is only going to end up condensing the plot more. Even if a movie covers only say, half of ADOS rather than the whole book, that's still half a book in 2 hours rather than half a book in 5 hours as it would be in the show. So what, is he planning on having the last battle adapted as it's own whole movie? A fairly ridiculous notion.

I'm baffled and concerned by the absurd degree of miscommunication that appears to be going on here.

I agree. Things are either being taken completely out of context and being amplified through the nerdrageometer or something is very wrong here.

Series almost never get made into movies. Didn't work with The Borgias, Rome, Angel, Deadwood...the list trawls on. Now, some separate Dunk and Egg movies, that's a possibility. But if A Song of Ice and Fire started a series, it's gonna end a series.

Princess and the Queen could make such a kickass movie if they expanded the emotional parts and fleshed out the characters. But maybe that's just my ladyboner for the Daemon and Aemond fight talking.

I am not aware , I don't think, that The Borgias as a film was anything but somebodies diffuse thoughts.

Showtime announced an E-book conclusion to The Borgias, to which I say , the hell with that!

ROME , well Heller is still trying, but the film is in production hell. With the rumor that HBO is going to do it's version of I CLAUDIUS , I think that kills it.

I have never been sure how serious David Milch was about the two Deadwood films, he sort of killed the series when his interests drifted elsewhere.

Never liked Angel, so hope there is never a movie.

Archived