R+L=J v.76

Angalin

I looked, and that's not it.

The wiki's source is the app, maybe we're all mistaken and "remembering" things from before the app, although that'd be weird...

It could have slipped through during pre-release of the app, i.e. GRRM confirmed it (to Elio, and he posted it) before the app was released.

Can't it be a SSM, either? I may be wrong but I'd say that the information was floating around even before I started hearing about the app.

This is what I thought. The app hasn't been around all that long after all and is mostly a distillation of text and SSMs anyway. (Beyond that I don't find it particularly trustworthy, tbh, subject to interpretation as it is, or to undefined input from GRRM, it's hard to know which is which. And the wiki using the app as a source seems even more untrustworthy)

Anyway, it's definitely not in any of the SSM's or text interviews posted on the Citadel. If anyone comes across it somewhere else I'd be grateful for the source.

eta-- Alia, what I am seeing is snow and a thermometer stubbornly stuck in January :(

This is what I thought. The app hasn't been around all that long after all and is mostly a distillation of text and SSMs anyway. (Beyond that I don't find it particularly trustworthy, tbh, subject to interpretation as it is, or to undefined input from GRRM, it's hard to know which is which. And the wiki using the app as a source seems even more untrustworthy)

Anyway, it's definitely not in any of the SSM's or text interviews posted on the Citadel. If anyone comes across it somewhere else I'd be grateful for the source.

eta-- Alia, what I am seeing is snow and a thermometer stubbornly stuck in January :(

Same here. :angry:

On your question, maybe you could you ask Ran, Linda, or X-Ray the Enforcer?

Okay... to get the thread back on topic somewhat....

Did Ned make a mistake in not tell Catelyn anything. Is this another example of "a little communication could solve this problem" and "Stark puts honour before good sense"?

Did Ned make a mistake in not tell Catelyn anything. Is this another example of "a little communication could solve this problem" and "Stark puts honour before good sense"?

I think if you look at some of her decisions, (kidnapping Tyrion, letting Jaimie go, etc), Ned knew her well enough to understand that she could not be relied upon to necessarily go along and harbor his dead sisters child with a claim to the throne.

I think he knew that she would understand it wouldn't be just herself or Ned to suffer, but her children and perhaps even the Tullys if Robert found out the truth.

She would choose the safety of her own children over Lyannas son, though she might be gratified to know that Jon was not Neds son afterall, but, it doesn't mean she wouldn't fear his presence.

Actually, in this case it's likely that Martin's answer responds more directly to the question he was asked, rather than less. If you look back, the question was phrased in terms of the KG choosing their deployment. And Martin's response is, essentially - "choice doesn't come into it; that's not how it works."

Indeed, which is why it should not be applied directly to the exact question - its a generalised answer. They don't really have a choice, if they are to follow their vows, but that does not mean that Rhaegar's possible orders are the definer of their non-choice. Such possible orders just go in a hierarchy, a flow-diagram of their options so to speak, and not at the top.

How is it good sense to tell a woman you've known for a few days, whose family motto is "family, duty, honour" (family first, and Jon, even Ned, is not her family) a secret that puts at risk her newborn child, and herself?

How is it good sense to tell a woman you've known for a few days, whose family motto is "family, duty, honour" (family first, and Jon, even Ned, is not her family) a secret that puts at risk her newborn child, and herself?

They were together for fifteen years. Did it just get too awkward after time had passed or something?

Likely more dangerous, and my speculation is that Ned wanted Jon away from Winterfell the older he grew.

I can see that. But I don't think Ned ever thought Jon could have any kind of "claim to the throne", if only because he was totally on Team Bob.

They were together for fifteen years. Did it just get too awkward after time had passed or something?

Sure, but the point to tell her is when she meets Jon. At which point Ned's known her for a few days only (the best part of a year ago).

Even 15 years later he's still not sure how far she would go if her children were threatened - its explicit in one of his chapters where he wonders exactly that.

I can see that. But I don't think Ned ever thought Jon could have any kind of "claim to the throne", if only because he was totally on Team Bob.

If his existence became known, especially his legitimacy, he could become a figurehead for Targ. supporters whether Ned wanted him to or not.

And if Benjen hadn't gone to the Wall, would he have kept Jon a secret, or fought for his birthright?

He wasn't Bobs friend. :)

If his existence became known, especially his legitimacy, he could become a figurehead for Targ. supporters whether Ned wanted him to or not.

And if Benjen hadn't gone to the Wall, would he have kept Jon a secret, or fought for his birthright?

He wasn't Bobs friend. :)

Benjen Stark vs. Robert Baratheon and Tywin Lannister, I would think that would be a very short war.

Archived