[Book Spoiler] Shae's Jealousy....

Their relationship is getting irritating now.

Shae was irritating from the start.

I guess its a good point to have Shae all jelous of Tyrion to set up the betrayal, but I constantly wish Tyrion could just snap and put her in her spot, she is a whore, thats all she is, and here she is giving a member, the lowliest member true, of the richest family in the realm, and at that point the most powerful, a bad time because of an arranged marriage to the conquered family's daughter. Get your head out of your ass Shae.

I'm rolling my eyes at this set up. It's the one thing I didnt like about the episode.

I think the TV show made the Shae character too strong, and too likeable. With the impending plotline, that needs to change, and it looks like the way its going to change is through a cliche misunderstanding where if either of the characters only spoke a bit more, there wouldn't be so much of an issue. That sort of plot device it contrived and only holds weight during on-screen time. Obviously time passes off-screen, but this sort of plot device would have you believe these characters ever only meet in the scenes we see, and thus fall further and further down a hole of unfortunately unlucky exchanges.

> Shae looks back and sees Tyrion touch Sansa's hand in compassion. Mistakes it for love.

> Tyrion too stressed to rustle the sheets with his girlfriend. Shae suspeccts a loss of interest.

> Shae thinks it was Tyrions idea to send her away. Tyrion acts bewildered, doesn't get a chance to deny it.

If that trend continues I'll be dreading every Shae/Tyrion scene except the last.

This changes the entire dynamic that Tyrion doesnt want Shae.

The reason for killer her was passion, he knew she was lying but he wanted to believe her, even lied to himself. Yet he saw her plainly as selfish, so he took out his anger on her. She betrayed him.

Now the dynamic is that Tyrion wants to just stay away from Shae, and doesnt seem to want her around, so her betraying him now is bad, now when he kills her, it will literally be just the evil dwarf killig someone that crossed him, not as a crime of passion. I dont like this development, since it changes Tyrion slightly, he was actually MORE sympathetic in the books, now its just that he is a monster.

It was bad enough why he kills Shae in the books, but in the show, oh boy lol

The reason for killer her was passion, he knew she was lying but he wanted to believe her, even lied to himself. Yet he saw her plainly as selfish, so he took out his anger on her. She betrayed him.

Now the dynamic is that Tyrion wants to just stay away from Shae, and doesnt seem to want her around, so her betraying him now is bad, but killing her wont be out of passion, it will literally be just the evil dwarf killig someone that crossed him, not as a crime of passion. I dont like this development, since it changes Tyrion slightly, he was actually MORE sympathetic in the books, now its just that he is a monster.

I don't think he doesn't want her. I think the idea is suppsed to be he is too caught up in all the crazy things happening in KL, and is too obssessed with keeping her safe to really pay her too much affection at the moment. This comes off to Shae as if he isn't interested, which we all know isn't true.

That is sort of my problem with the depiction. It's just a big misunderstanding, which is always the most annoying of plot devices. The books display a much more dyanmic relationship between the two, and the reveal and eventual murder are a result of a heart-crushing undermining of Tyrions world by Shae (which spins him into his downward spiral for ADWD).

As it is now, we just have 1 stressed out hopeless romantic, and 1 confused hopeless romantic...if only they could talk it out it would all be okay, but no, they just never get the chance and oh, look, now he murdered her :[

Now the dynamic is that Tyrion wants to just stay away from Shae, and doesnt seem to want her around, so her betraying him now is bad, now when he kills her, it will literally be just the evil dwarf killig someone that crossed him, not as a crime of passion. I dont like this development, since it changes Tyrion slightly, he was actually MORE sympathetic in the books, now its just that he is a monster.

It was bad enough why he kills Shae in the books, but in the show, oh boy lol

Calm down here now... Just because He was stressed out and didn't want a roll in the hay at that precise moment doesn't mean that Tyrion doesn't "want" Shae.

Calm down here now... Just because He was stressed out and didn't want a roll in the hay at that precise moment doesn't mean that Tyrion doesn't "want" Shae.

Tyrion just had to wait around for the Dorne party to arrive, he knows he is being sent because even though the Lannisters have to welcome them Tywin is using him as a fault against them, so Tyrion knows that he wont be greeted nicely because he is a Lannister and because he is the Imp, he is already at odds because of the shutdown Tywin gave him last season, he is now married to someone who has the absolutle right to hate the Lannisters, he knows the realm is going to sht, and furthermore as master of coin, which we know but hasnt been shown, he knows the realm is terribly indebted, his brother, whom he loves is missing a hand, and a buncho of other sht, I think he can be forgiven to not being in the right state of mind to have sex with a whore who constantly gives him sht over his arranged marriage.

Like many others, I previously had criticism for the show's producers decision in painting Shae and Tyrion as 'truly' in love and often wondered if they didn't do that to make unsullied viewers be more caught off guard or just to make them dislike Shae more for her jealousy I don't know...but now it's starting to make more sense they'd want the 'love' element to be central to the betrayal. Keeping it much more subtle as in the books would have been harder to pull off and just like they cast Robb's wife as a much more central figure so it would have more dramatic impact at the red wedding scene, they're casting Shae as a much more central player and with more passionate motivations too. It's all for the drama of the show because there's really very little 'true love' in the books. Series fans want romance....so they had to create some (Robb and Talisa, Tyrion and Shae) wherever they could I guess.

Like I said some time last year, they would have to force the breakup somehow, because they made the relationship in the tv series so much more than it is in the books. I really hope they won't set it up as a big surprise to the viewers, because imo it will feel very forced imo. First they made her smart and funny and she was protective of Sansa just like Tyrion, and now it will all turn into sudden jealousy and hate, even though she knows that Tyrion doesn't even want to bed Sansa. They should just leave her character as it was in the book, a simpleminded whore. I don't even care if she ends up with the chain around her neck or not, whatever.

Like many others, I previously had criticism for the show's producers decision in painting Shae and Tyrion as 'truly' in love and often wondered if they didn't do that to make unsullied viewers be more caught off guard or just to make them dislike Shae more for her jealousy I don't know...but now it's starting to make more sense they'd want the 'love' element to be central to the betrayal. Keeping it much more subtle as in the books would have been harder to pull off and just like they cast Robb's wife as a much more central figure so it would have more dramatic impact at the red wedding scene, they're casting Shae as a much more central player and with more passionate motivations too. It's all for the drama of the show because there's really very little 'true love' in the books. Series fans want romance....so they had to create some (Robb and Talisa, Tyrion and Shae) wherever they could I guess.

Even though that is true what you said, it's still such a HUGE stretch for me, that Shae will do this 180 in the series because she thinks Tyrion has feelings for Sansa. And she's suddenly willing to basically kill him, it just doesn't sound believable to me. The only way they can pull it off is if they introduce her family into the fold, and Cersei now knowing who the real whore is, will threaten her family so she basically decides to rather betray Tyrion. All else I'm not buying it. IMO. ;)

Shae's jealousy of Sansa mystifies me, since even in 3x10 she seemed to understand that if Tyrion felt anything about Sansa it was similar to her own feelings: pseudo-parental protectiveness, as opposed to sexual desire. Their little shared smile when Sansa made the shift/shit mistake seemed to reflect that. She really seemed to grasp that Sansa posed no threat to her relationship whatsoever and in fact that the marriage could coexist nicely with her relationship with Tyrion. She doesn't want to fuck Sansa, after all, even though she cares for her in a platonic, parental way, so why would she imagine that Tyrion would? And now it's all accusations of Tyrion being in love with Sansa, even though Shae is smart enough to know that the idea is ridiculous.

What is plausible to me is that Shae believes that Tyrion has lost interest in her with no reference to or jealousy of Sansa and is paranoid that he'll set her aside for other reasons--he's bored with her, he's lost interest in having sex with her, he's sick of sneaking around, etc.--and that she's bitter because she's confident in this eventual rejection and because she knows he'll never choose her over his family. THAT would make some sense to me: that she's invested so much in this relationship and not only is he unwilling to do the same, but he's losing interest in the relationship and her and there's nothing she can do to stop it.

Then, when push comes to shove, it will be not so much "I'm going to help kill this man for betraying me!" but something more like "He would have abandoned me eventually and wasn't willing to sacrifice anything for me, even though I loved him so desperately, so why should I lift a finger to help him when helping him could mean my head? Better to save myself."

I think Tyrion isn't very sexually active right now because of self-esteem issues. At the risk of Godwinning, he's aware that he's no longer in a family of ruthless bastards who are kind of cool, but evil criminals. Joffery wants to kill him and rape his "wife" and his sister wants the same. Tywin also has made it clear he's scum and hates him. In short, he's having a really bad couple of months.

Shae is assuming he's just become tired of her and is probably imagining Sansa will eventually fall for him because she's got issues with men (and justifiably so).

Their relationship is getting irritating now.

GETTING irratating!!! You must have the patience of a saint!! I have always detested Tv Shae and this morning (at 2am, that's when they showed it here) She was making me so annoyed I wanted to fast forward. I can't wait until what happens happens. She deserves everything she gets and more.

Almost forgot: An unsullied friend of mine said they think Shae set that whole scene up on purpose to try and catch Tyrion and get him in bed. She was already pissed when Tyrion dismissed her and saw him holding Sansa's hand so she's already sold out to the other maid who is a spy for the Queen. Did anyone else thinks this might be the angle they're going for or was it obvious enough that Shae was just trying to get Tyrion's attention without ulterior motives and the other maid was spying on her too legit?

Shae's jealousy of Sansa mystifies me, since even in 3x10 she seemed to understand that if Tyrion felt anything about Sansa it was similar to her own feelings: pseudo-parental protectiveness, as opposed to sexual desire. Their little shared smile when Sansa made the shift/shit mistake seemed to reflect that. She really seemed to grasp that Sansa posed no threat to her relationship whatsoever and in fact that the marriage could coexist nicely with her relationship with Tyrion. She doesn't want to fuck Sansa, after all, even though she cares for her in a platonic, parental way, so why would she imagine that Tyrion would? And now it's all accusations of Tyrion being in love with Sansa, even though Shae is smart enough to know that the idea is ridiculous.

I agree with you here but there might still be another aspect:

With what Shae interprets as Tyrion being less interested in her he has as well shown to her that he sees Sansa as "one of his kind", as someone who counts no matter what his feelings towards that girl may be. Sansa is the noblewoman whose fate gets attention by the nobleman. To Shae it looks like "they all stick together and I am shit to them." And there may lie the ground for a different kind of jealousy towards Sansa that comes a little closer to book Shae's emotions: "that spoiled girl gets everything for free what I have to work hard for"

What is plausible to me is that Shae believes that Tyrion has lost interest in her with no reference to or jealousy of Sansa and is paranoid that he'll set her aside for other reasons--he's bored with her, he's lost interest in having sex with her, he's sick of sneaking around, etc.--and that she's bitter because she's confident in this eventual rejection and because she knows he'll never choose her over his family. THAT would make some sense to me: that she's invested so much in this relationship and not only is he unwilling to do the same, but he's losing interest in the relationship and her and there's nothing she can do to stop it.

Then, when push comes to shove, it will be not so much "I'm going to help kill this man for betraying me!" but something more like "He would have abandoned me eventually and wasn't willing to sacrifice anything for me, even though I loved him so desperately, so why should I lift a finger to help him when helping him could mean my head? Better to save myself."

In the end HBO Tyrion may even look worse than book Tyrion since book Tyrion was honestly outraged while HBO could have read the signs of a misunderstanding - depends on how they'll play Shae in Tywin's bed

Edit: I think the other maid spied without (edited, the doorbell was distracting me) Shae knowing, my impression only.

It seems that Shae's increasing jealousy regarding Sansa will come in handy as a reason for her to betray Tyrion if he was ever on trial for.......anything really bad.... ;). What do you think?

I think they are setting up the OTHER handmaiden to betray Tyrion and Shae. I think Shae will vanish. Tyrion asks where she is, and his father replies "Wherever whores go." I think Tyrion will find the other handmaiden in Tywin's bed and kill her. After all, we wouldn't want to spoil the viewers interpretation of Tyrion as essentially one of the good guys.

Archived