[Book Spoiler] Shae's Jealousy....

D&D said in an interview that they deliberately changed Shae after seeing the actress' portrayal. I like this nuanced TV Shae rather than book Shae 'I'm a whore and that's what whores do'. That Shae just saw the way the wind was blowing and went with it. This Shae is shaping up to be more a "hell hath no fury..." kinda chick, which might help TV audiences relate to her more. She's helped along by a sanitized, whitewashed Tyrion who would never sleep with someone else while the poor wife continues to reject him.

It seems that Shae's increasing jealousy regarding Sansa will come in handy as a reason for her to betray Tyrion if he was ever on trial for.......anything really bad.... ;). What do you think?

I'm on the fence though I think it is likely. The complication is that I genuinely believe that Shea loves and wants to protect Sansa (which of course was totally absent from the books) and genuinely feels something for Tyrion as well, which makes it all more complicated. I could easily see her feelings for Sansa staying the same but starting to resent Tyrion (since he's not sleeping with her even if he isn't sleeping with Sansa), which could definitely lead to some interesting and conflicted emotions after the next episode. I think it will come down to her being given a choice and Tyrion reading the wrong things into it.

Has anyone considered the possibility that

Tywin kills Shae? Motive for Tyrion killing him and for the Tysha confrontation. Could happen after she tells against Tyrion in the court, revealing Tywin's son really took the whore to King's Landing.

Has anyone considered the possibility that

Tywin kills Shae? Motive for Tyrion killing him and for the Tysha confrontation. Could happen after she tells against Tyrion in the court, revealing Tywin's son really took the whore to King's Landing.

I thought that back in Season 2, but I don't see why they're introducing the jealousy plot-line now if that's how it's going to end up. If they did that as a motive for Tyrion killing Tywin, then Shae wouldn't even have to testify against him.

Yes, and correct me if I'm wrong, but in the book it didn't seem like there was anything that stuck out to as why she did betray him, as it wasn't really stated. It also seems that the jealously is a lot more so in the show then it is in the book. I mean it did seem like if she didn't betray him that she would be cooked, so I guess it was assumed that a deal was struck between her and Cersei? Anyways, its clear in the show that her mood and patience will be what blows her spot up.

Yes, and correct me if I'm wrong, but in the book it didn't seem like there was anything that stuck out to as why she did betray him, as it wasn't really stated.

It's not completely shown because it's Tyrion POV but he expected her to react bad at his wedding with Sansa and she's more like "whatever, We'll still fuck, right?". He doesn't realise she's there for the job, wife or not.

I wouldn't say that. I think they do well together, I just think it is has dragged on. We know that she is mad and doesn't like what is happening, so how much more can you really add to this subplot? The problem is the show has made her so much more than what she really is and they shouldn't have. They should have just kept it the way it was in the book, now its just so much more involved in the show. I understand why they did it, so that they could show how they both have truly fell for each other, but I don't believe it should be in this manner. Its not as though she should be shocked about what is going on, considering what she is and what he is and I believe she accepted in the book. I think fromm what I said in an earlier post, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe it was really shown in the book on why she betrayed him, so I feel they are trying to build it up to how she could by having her act in the manner that she is which will eventually turn into betrayal.

I'm so thrilled that this was (hopefully) the last Shae/Tyrion scene. They're fucking awful, and have been from the start. No chemistry whatsoever between the two actors.

here's what will happen.

Tyrion gets imprisoned. Cersei through her handmaid finds Shae and bribes/threatens her to give her testimony at the trial. At the trial Tywin becomes attracted to Shae and propositions her later. When Tyrion finds Shae in Tyin's bed she tries to explain all of this but Tyrion doesn't listen and kills her.

Simple.

At this point I think it's entirely possible that other Lannisters will kill Shae instead of Tyrion, which in turn could work for the show because it gives Tyrion further motivation to kill Tywin.

They made a decision on the show, which I fully support, to make Shae much smarter, more caring, and more loyal than the one dimensional whore she is in the novels. If Tyrion murders her, betrayal or not (and the way they have constructed her on the show it can only be a betrayal brought on solely by threats by other Lannisters, in my mind), then Tyrion loses a great deal of likability. I find it hard to believe that Tyrion could kill the Shae that exists in that world, and I find it hard to believe that they makers of the show would be willing to show such a beloved character (Tyrion) in such a bad light.

The show is obviously not afraid to make changes, and I sort of expect the handling of the Shae situation to be altered given the choices they have made with her so far.

On the other hand, they could decide to have Tyrion kill her out of rage only to find out later she was completely under duress. This could add an additional tragic element and really fuel his fire for revenge. I think it's going to be hard to buy his almost instantaneous leap from true love to murder if they decide to go that route, however.

Oh of course. Tyrion is one of the favorites of the show and for the most part he hasn't done any wrong. SO to have Shae who he has protected and has given her a life that she otherwise would not have to have her betray him in the manner that she will is going to make everyone turn on her very quickly

So no one thinks Shae's betrayal at the trial will cost HER audience sympathy?

So no one thinks Shae's betrayal at the trial will cost HER audience sympathy?

I hate to do those annoying repeat posts, but to me it's much probable that Tywin kills Shae.

Why? He got proof she bedded Tyrion after Cersei threatened/bribed her (will surely happen, don't we agree?).

When? While Tyrion is imprisoned. And if I'm right, I so hope it's shown on screen.

And I don't expect Tyrion to say the "shit gold" quote in Tywin's last scene. I hope it's only said to JonCon later.

I hate to do those annoying repeat posts, but to me it's much probable that Tywin kills Shae.

Why? He got proof she bedded Tyrion after Cersei threatened/bribed her (will surely happen, don't we agree?).

When? While Tyrion is imprisoned. And if I'm right, I so hope it's shown on screen.

And I don't expect Tyrion to say the "shit gold" quote in Tywin's last scene. I hope it's only said to JonCon later.

He won't because HBO knows shock is all that keeps millions watching this series. Ned, The Red Wedding, and so on are the reason people tune in.

Because stuff happens which doesn't in other series.

Stuff like one protagonist killing his girlfriend.

Seeing the beginning of "bitch" Shae last night makes me now lean toward Tyrion killing her. I still would have preferred a different "take" by the show, talk about hackneyed upon hackneyed so we have the hooker with the heart of gold whose going to turn into a woman scorned bat shit crazy driven by revenge bitch from hell. I would have much preferred an ambiguous Shae where the audience is guessing if she is for real or if she is trolling Tyrion the entire time, instead of what we got.

But, if they have Tyrion kill her, that is still better than any other alternative.

GETTING irratating!!! You must have the patience of a saint!! I have always detested Tv Shae and this morning (at 2am, that's when they showed it here) She was making me so annoyed I wanted to fast forward. I can't wait until what happens happens. She deserves everything she gets and more.

No, she doesn't.

My main problem is how forced this arc is going to seem. One moment TRUE LOVE, next, MURDER? Really? Play up more on Shae's worries about being thrown aside because that works, but I hope they don't go down the jealousy path, because that doesn't.

No, she doesn't.

My main problem is how forced this arc is going to seem. One moment TRUE LOVE, next, MURDER? Really? Play up more on Shae's worries about being thrown aside because that works, but I hope they don't go down the jealousy path, because that doesn't.

That's what we saw though last night. No mention of financial security or anything else. Only she wants to be with him...and HE refuses to fuck her, LOL.

For the record I also didn't like that it was Cersei who was refusing to fuck Jamie instead of vice versa, since that was a big deal for him and in his ability to move forward.

I've never been convinced Shae's feelings for Tyrion are genuine in the show. As Littlefinger explained to Ros the important thing about being a hooker isn't having a good body or willingness to have sex but the ability to put clients in the mood by giving them what they want. The seduction scene with Natalie Dormer shows that in order to wield any kind of authority/position in Westeros, you need to know what the client wants and how to manipulate them. In Shae's case, she knows Tyrion Lannister wants less of a hooker and more of a girlfriend/confidant and it's a train she can ride a very long way.

But ONLY if she convinces him she feels for him. If she plays hard to get and convinces him to continue to want her.

I've never been convinced Shae's feelings for Tyrion are genuine in the show. As Littlefinger explained to Ros the important thing about being a hooker isn't having a good body or willingness to have sex but the ability to put clients in the mood by giving them what they want. The seduction scene with Natalie Dormer shows that in order to wield any kind of authority/position in Westeros, you need to know what the client wants and how to manipulate them. In Shae's case, she knows Tyrion Lannister wants less of a hooker and more of a girlfriend/confidant and it's a train she can ride a very long way.

But ONLY if she convinces him she feels for him. If she plays hard to get and convinces him to continue to want her.

She tries to get him to leave for Essos with her, and she turns down a giant bag of diamonds to leave the city. She has also, legitimately attempted on several times to help Sansa. Book Shae never attempts to help anyone, ever, at all.

This leads me to believe that she is supposed to be seen as serious about him and much nicer than her book counterpart.

If not, then shame on D&D for not hiring a better actress who could have put in a more subtle performance that would leave a few question marks.

I think they will have no choice but to show him in a bad light at some point. Even when he goes and does the deed in the book I don't feel any differently about him. His family could give a rats ass about him, he has done more good than half of the back stabbing monsters on the show and all the noble things he does for his family he is kicked to the curb and is almost assassinated. I don't think anyone would have an issue if he killed his father with or without a good reason. Tywin in the books and on the show has basically stated he wished he was dead and admitted to almost killing him. How can anyone feel bad for what will happen to Tywin?

At this point I think it's entirely possible that other Lannisters will kill Shae instead of Tyrion, which in turn could work for the show because it gives Tyrion further motivation to kill Tywin.

They made a decision on the show, which I fully support, to make Shae much smarter, more caring, and more loyal than the one dimensional whore she is in the novels. If Tyrion murders her, betrayal or not (and the way they have constructed her on the show it can only be a betrayal brought on solely by threats by other Lannisters, in my mind), then Tyrion loses a great deal of likability. I find it hard to believe that Tyrion could kill the Shae that exists in that world, and I find it hard to believe that they makers of the show would be willing to show such a beloved character (Tyrion) in such a bad light.

The show is obviously not afraid to make changes, and I sort of expect the handling of the Shae situation to be altered given the choices they have made with her so far.

Archived