Drogon

Envie

Weren't the dragons eating wrong? They're supposed to char their food, right? That's why they had problems getting them to feed when they were little. None of the dragons bothered to char that sheep they were fighting over.

We don't know that they didn't char it, actually. VIserion and Rhaegal just carried the raw food back to their 'pack,' and last we saw, Drogon snapped at Dany and then made a dive toward the food. That's all we saw--he could have thrown the carcass up in the air and charred it; we just didn't see it.

BTW, I came across this screengrab of the carcass. I thought it was a goat, but its actually a calf, a Hereford calf, if I'm not mistaken. (Who knew there were Hereford cattle in Essos!). I think this signals the start of Dany having problems re the dragons. The local farmers won't be happy with the dragons taking their valuable Hereford cattle for lunchtime snacks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/joliefaire/calf.jpg

We don't know that they didn't char it, actually. VIserion and Rhaegal just carried the raw food back to their 'pack,' and last we saw, Drogon snapped at Dany and then made a dive toward the food. That's all we saw--he could have thrown the carcass up in the air and charred it; we just didn't see it.

BTW, I came across this screengrab of the carcass. I thought it was a goat, but its actually a calf, a Hereford calf, if I'm not mistaken. (Who knew there were Hereford cattle in Westeros!). I think this signals the start of Dany having problems re the dragons. The local farmers won't be happy with the dragons taking their valuable Hereford cattle for lunchtime snacks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/joliefaire/calf.jpg

In the books Dany has a policy of paying the farmers for the livestock the dragons eat.

Weren't the dragons eating wrong? They're supposed to char their food, right? That's why they had problems getting them to feed when they were little. None of the dragons bothered to char that sheep they were fighting over.

that bothered me too. it was probably too expensive to use fire effects or something silly like that. I will also continue to be bothered by the lack of color co-ordinated dragon fire.

I did notice the inconsistency others mentioned in that the dragons appeared to be eating the kill raw and there was no charring it. I think I agree that they probably didn't want to add the extra CGI cost of fire breathing dragons and went with just showing them ripping the carcass apart between them. You never actually see one of them swallowing it so it's fair to say that yes they may have then charred the meat off screen.

Regardless, it was still very kickass CGI and they looked very believable... especially Drogon laying there basking under Dany's caress - that's hard to get just right since she's got to pretend to be petting something and the rest is edited in. I rewatched the scene a few times and admired every movement Drogon made, from his 'craw' expanding as he breathed and shifted, to his claws / toes moving independently. His demanding nudge was perfect. Giant overgrown pet - not for much longer! I always imagined dragons being somewhat like a cross between a dinosaur, bird and feline ...so they did this absolutely perfect.

The dragons truly are awesome. You can even see slimy lizard dragon spit hanging in strings when their mouths are open. Well, if you want to see slimy lizard dragon spit, that is. :P And even that great little touch where Dany's hair and dress ruffling as Drogon flapped away. Incredible detail in this show.

I know the exact segment you are talking about, I was thinking the same thing as everyone in your living room. It was actually clipped on an app I use! I love Khaleesi, she is one of my favourite characters in the show, I have a soft spot for her.

http://connectv.com/vs/17285/calisi-can-do-anything/

I wish Dany would have turned around and said "WTF do you know about Dragons? You're from some shit Northern Westerosi island that no one pays attention to, I think it's safe to assume that you don't actually know a damn thing about what you just said. Not to mention you know for a fact that people HAVE tamed dragons, and rode them into Westeros and conquered the entire continent with them, so what are you even saying? Why are you here? How about you get away from me."

It just felt like the show was saying:

And now...Ian Glenn!

There was no reason for him to be in that scene.

They didn't have time. They were still fighting over it. If one was to cook it the other would have been off with the animal.

I wish Dany would have turned around and said "WTF do you know about Dragons? You're from some shit Northern Westerosi island that no one pays attention to, I think it's safe to assume that you don't actually know a damn thing about what you just said. Not to mention you know for a fact that people HAVE tamed dragons, and rode them into Westeros and conquered the entire continent with them, so what are you even saying? Why are you here? How about you get away from me."

It just felt like the show was saying:

And now...Ian Glenn!

There was no reason for him to be in that scene.

Yeah I had those thoughts as well "And you know this from your extensive experience with dragons on Bear Isle Ser Jorah?"

Drogon was the star of that scene. Jorah and Dany were the props.

Jorah 'trying too hard' fits with the plot of his 'battle' for superiority with Barristan but the fact so many people appear to feel wearisome of Jorah could be problematic for certain events going forward.

I think he was in the scene for the same reason that we got to see Drogon snap at Dany for the first time. To let us, the audience, know that there's trouble ahead with keeping Dany's 'children' under any kind of control. Drogon snaps, Jorah says dragons can't be tamed, and now we know. There's trouble coming. Still, for this show, it was a surprisingly awkward and jarringly clunky bit.

I think he was in the scene for the same reason that we got to see Drogon snap at Dany for the first time. To let us, the audience, know that there's trouble ahead with keeping Dany's 'children' under any kind of control. Drogon snaps, Jorah says dragons can't be tamed, and now we know. There's trouble coming. Still, for this show, it was a surprisingly awkward and jarringly clunky bit.

Except we know that they CAN be tamed.

If there's one major criticism I have of the show, it's the non-subtle audience hand-holding that it does on a constant basis.

A giant death machine just snapped at its "mother" because she got too involved with its meal prospects, we don't need Old Man Creeper to photobomb the scene with his needless and completely wrong observation. Jorah never went to Dragon School, so he doesn't know shit.

I agree , we don't see what happened after Drogon took off after carcass , we don't even know if he succeded in taking it away from VIserion and Rhaegal.

It's true the dragons are marvels of CGI-VFX, but I bet the longest scene we have seen is Drogon at Astapor.

Other scenes have been quite short.

One thing that keeps bothering me , and seems it's been said more than once, "they will never be tamed"... well it's something Dany worries about in the books.

On the other hand we know that the Valyrian mastered dragons for 5000 years!

That's a hell of a long time.

Aegon Rhaenys and Visenya Targaryen had not problems with Meraxes, Vhagar, and Balerion and hey were humongous war dragons.

What the hell did they feed them , and put them when not needed for battle?

Remember we have Daenerys and Drogon in Daznak's Pit coming up, there is some instinctive jazz going down betwen Dany and Drogon in that sequence. Drogon does not bother her after taking her to his lair, and even later goes looking for her acting as a protector or even as kind wild but obedient dragon! How is the show going to handle this?

My thinking, the way this show rolls (and I'm not being bitchy, I loved the books and I love the show), is that no one will be able to really control or understand 'how to tame a dragon' until eventually (I'm looking at you, GRRM) Tyrion gets there, with his ancient book lore about dragons. Dany knew instinctively how to 'birth' them, but she doesn't know diddly-squat about raising, training or controlling them. It will make for exciting TV, I think, as the dragons spin more and more out of Dany's control. Also provides a Redemption Arc for Tyrion, who, from his book research, knows that the grand mistake the ancient Targs made was to chain and confine their dragons. Good TV coming up, for years to come!

I agree here. Though book readers already know the sequence of events to unfold with Dany's dragon troubles - show watchers do not. Last season they were still cute little dog sized pets that could barbecue a man on one command from Danaerys ... but this season they want to start it off with a much less confident vibe because as we all know, Dany's story starts to take a much less confident turn in Meereen - and the scene with the crucified slave child definitely wraps that up nicely right after Drogon snapped at her face. Jorah's unnecessary remark was simply a tool to rile up the watchers with the "DUH!" moment most everyone's already agreed upon and that was entirely intentional. I think they purposely wanted people to say "No shit Sherlock!" to their screens because it's obvious Dany's got troubles brewing.

Well played IMO.

"I wish Dany would have turned around and said "WTF do you know about Dragons? You're from some shit Northern Westerosi island that no one pays attention to, I think it's safe to assume that you don't actually know a damn thing about what you just said. Not to mention you know for a fact that people HAVE tamed dragons, and rode them into Westeros and conquered the entire continent with them, so what are you even saying? Why are you here? How about you get away from me.""

Actually Dragons cannot be "tamed" they can be ridden and used in warfare but that is not being domesticated to make them people safe. Also the scene did help support the growing estrangement that Dany feels for Jorah and that's presumably important for future events. I found Jorah's presence nor his observations either out of place or wrong. That Little nit Dany thinks of herself as the Dragons"Mother" well she has birthed some badass monsters not spry kittens and needs reminding of the fact.

Actually Dragons cannot be "tamed" they can be ridden and used in warfare but that is not being domesticated to make them people safe. Also the scene did help support the growing estrangement that Dany feels for Jorah and that's presumably important for future events. I found Jorah's presence nor his observations either out of place or wrong. That Little nit Dany thinks of herself as the Dragons"Mother" well she has birthed some badass monsters not spry kittens and needs reminding of the fact.

I still want to know what it means for the Valyrians to have mastered dragons for 5000 years!

I don't think they keep them as pets, but had to do something with them between wars.

The first few generations of Targaryens , on Westeros, had no 'wild' dragon problems.

I wish George would explain how the Valyrians did all that stuff for so long.

"I wish Dany would have turned around and said "WTF do you know about Dragons? You're from some shit Northern Westerosi island that no one pays attention to, I think it's safe to assume that you don't actually know a damn thing about what you just said. Not to mention you know for a fact that people HAVE tamed dragons, and rode them into Westeros and conquered the entire continent with them, so what are you even saying? Why are you here? How about you get away from me.""

So would you say that they are as most similar to direwolves in that they are not tame enough to keep in KL's (for example) but they can be counted on in battles to risk their lives for you.

So would you say that they are as most similar to direwolves in that they are not tame enough to keep in KL's (for example) but they can be counted on in battles to risk their lives for you.

Certainly more similar to that than to horses or hounds or housecats.

And I wouldn't suggest Dany's "interfere with eating" move with hunting dogs, either.

Archived