[Book Spoilers] Why bring Dontos in now?

JesterX

In the books it was a complete mystery that Littlefinger wanted to take Sansa from King's Landing, so it was a surprise when we found out Dontos was acting as Littlefinger's agent. But on the series we know full well about Littlefinger's interest in Sansa. The whole Dontos storyline seems completely irrelevant now. So why bring him in?

IIRC doesn't LF give Sansa a chance out of Kings Landing but she refuses? so i geuss to the audience it defiantly looks like that ship has sailed, both literally and figuratively. So it might be a surprise when Donto's pop's up and says "i have a way out" and they see that lf is still getting her out.

Exactly. LF, by all accounts, has left KL. Sansa had her chance to leave, but she refused.

Dontos is still the go-between for LF, but Unsullied don't know that *yet*.

Why bring Dontos in now??? it seems for the same reason they bothered to have him (and maybe Lothar Brune) in the show in the first place....he is still serving the same purpose in the show now that he served in the books, isn't he? He meets her in the Godswood and gives her the necklace/hairnet that we we can assume will be used very soon at a wedding?

But whats more is that Sansa and everyone else is suppose to assume Lf is gone, so there has to be someone with a reason to be in KL to talk to Sansa and get her onto the feather bed waiting on the boat for her.

I am not sure I understand the mystery...Dontos is in the show for the same reason he was in the books it would seem...he hasn't been in the show again till now because they didn't need to waste screen time on him till now.

Personally, I found his introduction annoying for a very specific reason: As I was explaining to my fiancee just how many named characters will die this season, I said something like "and the book is even worse. They kill off people that the show decided just weren't worth keeping in. Like that drunk from the joust in season 2. He dies in like episode 2/3. But he hasn't been seen since then, so they're not going to bring him back just to kill him off..."

Dontos appears on screen. Me: "Oh, sonofa..."

They brought him back: so LF wouldn't be directly involved, because Dontos has a motive to be nice to Sansa, and to keep it a little bit closer to the books than if they had not brought him back.

I've speculated before that bringing Dontos back so hurriedly is probably the result of a last second change of plan. The result of two change of plans actually. Imo Plan A was to do things as in the books and have Dontos helping Sansa plot her escape, hence his introduction in S2. But for whatever reason (maybe Tony Way's acting not being up to standard) this was scrapped. Plan B was to have Ros be LFs accomplice in spiriting Sansa away. But then they decided to kill Ros off early, to fully reinforce just how brutal Joffrey is and/or to help retain an ounce of surprise as to who's behind Sansa's escape. This explains why Ros' death gets absolutely no mention in later episodes - her death scene was inserted late into production and she was actually supposed to be still alive at the end of the season (probably to be killed later by LF like Dontos was).

Now this is just my personal speculation, but it makes a lot of sense to me and explains the messiness of how it's all being handled.

Why bring Dontos in now??? it seems for the same reason they bothered to have him (and maybe Lothar Brune) in the show in the first place....he is still serving the same purpose in the show now that he served in the books, isn't he? He meets her in the Godswood and gives her the necklace/hairnet that we we can assume will be used very soon at a wedding?

But whats more is that Sansa and everyone else is suppose to assume Lf is gone, so there has to be someone with a reason to be in KL to talk to Sansa and get her onto the feather bed waiting on the boat for her.

I am not sure I understand the mystery...Dontos is in the show for the same reason he was in the books it would seem...he hasn't been in the show again till now because they didn't need to waste screen time on him till now.

The question seems more to be why haven't they brought him in before for any interactions. Yes, it appears he's serving the same purpose, but even though he has been in the background for some scenes this basically is an introduction for him. For some of the things they have spent screen time on I'd have rather had him have some time so that he is relevant rather than a "hey remember we did this thing and you've since forgotten about it? we're bringing it back".

They brought him back: so LF wouldn't be directly involved, because Dontos has a motive to be nice to Sansa, and to keep it a little bit closer to the books than if they had not brought him back.

This, plus I think he'd be a good replacement for Marillion. If I had to guess, I'd say Dontos is making it to the Eyrie

Ehh I feel like Ser Dontos in the book was as much of a plot device as he is here & Sansa needs the necklace and it needs to come from someone she can reasonably trust. He really does work the best. She helped him and hes giving her a necklace and he probably won't appear again until the end of the wedding when she's scared and confused. Better him than a major character that would tip the hand of all the machinations afoot and lord knows the show has enough characters to add a new one.

Ehh I feel like Ser Dontos in the book was as much of a plot device as he is here & Sansa needs the necklace and it needs to come from someone she can reasonably trust. He really does work the best. She helped him and hes giving her a necklace and he probably won't appear again until the end of the wedding when she's scared and confused. Better him than a major character that would tip the hand of all the machinations afoot and lord knows the show has enough characters to add a new one.

Of course he's a plot device in the books too. When it comes down to it a story is all just plot devices, it's a good writers job to use smoke and mirrors to disguise that. Martin does this a lot better than D+D have by introducing Dontos early, seeding him as a sympathetic character throughout and only after both of those things introducing the escape plot.

This, plus I think he'd be a good replacement for Marillion. If I had to guess, I'd say Dontos is making it to the Eyrie

thats a good point, kudos for the idea. It bothered me that Marilllion was killed in the first season, but some random singer (character) for tv audiences carrying over from season 1 to season 4/5 might not have made sense either. I figured there would be some random singer that was in Lysa's court, but using Dontos for his actual purpose and to tie that loose end off sounds good to me.

But I do like the betrayal of Dontos and the lesson he teaches Sansa right off the get go....

but there is the idea that LF brings someone to the Vale that is blamed for killing Lysa, it kinda means he can be argued to be seen as responsible for it....where as Marillion has already been rubbing the people there the wrong way and there already is a bit of rancor between the singer and everyone else?? But still, using Dontos for Marillion in the Vale, I think could work.

The question seems more to be why haven't they brought him in before for any interactions. Yes, it appears he's serving the same purpose, but even though he has been in the background for some scenes this basically is an introduction for him. For some of the things they have spent screen time on I'd have rather had him have some time so that he is relevant rather than a "hey remember we did this thing and you've since forgotten about it? we're bringing it back".

maybe they did have scenes with him but they ended up getting cut?

I remember seeing both Brune and Dontos and thinking sweet, these parts are making it to the show....I wondered if Dontos would appear in the Godswood since Sansa spent much of last season there, but they used scenes with Margie interacting with Sansa there instead...maybe they figured having so many people approach her in or near the Godswood would be bad?

I just think they didn't need to waste valuable screen time with Dontos and Sansa, especially when they could show Margie and show a relationship with Margie and Sansa when trying to convince her marry Loras.

I am bothered more about Sansa marrying Loras instead of his gimpy brother than I was Dontos' screen time being cut.

Someone else mentioned Dontos could make it to the Eeryie and replace Marillion, so where they cut his screen time last season and gave it to Margie, they could now be using him for multiple things this season.

I agree that there are some things that they add content with the TV that make no sense to me...stuff is in the show and its not in the books and for the life of me I can't understand it. I think it would be stranger to have not used Dontos at this point after the scene he was in last season...vs not using him at all.

Archived