[Book Spoilers] Why bring Dontos in now?

JesterX

Was she? Then why did they ever bother casting Dontos in first place?

Like I said above I think the plan went through multiple iterations. First it was Dontos, then it was Ros, now it's Dontos again.

Dontos' being there at this point is true to the text and I can imagine the uproar amongst bookreaders if someone other than Dontos filled this position. Besides, he is someone Sansa has a connection to and a sympathy for, her soiled, discredited knight that she has saved from death. That he is attempting to save her is perceived by her as a valiant act that speaks to her naive notions of chivalry. Littlefinger has a fair grasp of Sansa and Dontos' minds and knows the perfect tool (Dontos) that would speak to her desperation as well as her sympathies: Dontos needs to be there. It's a compelling story and the outcome adds an even lower level to Littlefinger's depths.

IIRC doesn't LF give Sansa a chance out of Kings Landing but she refuses? so i geuss to the audience it defiantly looks like that ship has sailed, both literally and figuratively. So it might be a surprise when Donto's pop's up and says "i have a way out" and they see that lf is still getting her out.

Exactly. Baelish is gone. Somebody needs to get her out of KL and unless they want Sansa to come across like a complete broad, it better be someone who she has met before and who she has even the slightest reason to believe/trust. Plus, somebody had to give her the hairnet/necklace.

Dontos' being there at this point is true to the text and I can imagine the uproar amongst bookreaders if someone other than Dontos filled this position. Besides, he is someone Sansa has a connection to and a sympathy for, her soiled, discredited knight that she has saved from death. That he is attempting to save her is perceived by her as a valiant act that speaks to her naive notions of chivalry. Littlefinger has a fair grasp of Sansa and Dontos' minds and knows the perfect tool (Dontos) that would speak to her desperation as well as her sympathies: Dontos needs to be there. It's a compelling story and the outcome adds an even lower level to Littlefinger's depths.

Agreed.

I feel like if it's not Dontos who else could it be? Why introduce a new character everyone else at Kings Landing right now has been tainted in some way. In order for the reveal about LF it would have to be someone that people know nothing about but can believe may have a desire to help Sansa. My husband's an unsullied and he didn't find his return odd at all.

Exactly. Baelish is gone. Somebody needs to get her out of KL and unless they want Sansa to come across like a complete broad, it better be someone who she has met before and who she has even the slightest reason to believe/trust.

They've completely taken Sansa's choices out of the equation, since she isn't a participant in the plan, so I don't think her trusting him really matters.

I expect they brought Dontos back because they want the scene where he dies (even though they've cut all the stuff that would have made his death shocking, since neither Sansa nor the audience has any real connection to him).

I expect they brought Dontos back because they want the scene where he dies (even though they've cut all the stuff that would have made his death shocking, since neither Sansa nor the audience has any real connection to him).

this. it establishes that sansa's no safer with littlefinger than she was with joffrey. also begins to establish sansa and littlefinger's roles in the new setting of the vale.

Dontos killed me unexpectedly this episode with his line about the necklace. Part of me wishes it happened a little sooner - he's been gone from proceedings for quite a while by this point (not even a glimpse of him on his wooden horse!) But I think it'll be good for Sansa's character to have a confidante - someone to trust, as she's been surrounded by enemies and uncertain allies and sees no way home at this point.

My only concern is that the storyling may end up being terribly rushed. And I do hope they bring Jonquil/Florian into it, just as a nod to the mythology. I always found Dontos faintly creepy, but relating his devotion to the story of Florian and Jonquil at least gave it some kind of reasoning, as opposed to 'drunken old knight appears mildly besotted with child'.

I was pretty certain Ros was going to replace Dontos so her death caught me off guard. I can see Dontos taking Marillion's place. Otherwise why bring a character back from two seasons ago that few people would remember just to off him in 2 or 3 scenes. I think he'll be sticking around for a bit.

Has there really been an issue with the actress Esmé Bianco? And Dontos only stepped in as filler because they needed someone as intermediary in Sansa's escape? Does someone really know?

I think they introduced Dontos from the beginning to show us, just like Martin did, Joffrey's cruelty and one of the moments where the character of Sansa can sparkle. And using the fool to lure Sansa into that wonderful Florian and Jonquil story was the cream topping. So Dontos was never a waste of time in the show even if there was no plan to make use of his character further down the series.

Did they really intend to change the story and let Ros take up Dontos' part - and then, for whatever reason, they decided to take out Ros?

How do so many people misunderstand what the problem is here?

Yes, Dontos serves as a proxy for Littlefinger, same as he did in the books. Which begs the question, why haven't they done that in Season 3? They made the decision to completely cut his storyline and replace him with Littlefinger himself. It was him who promised Sansa to get her out of King's Landing, not Dontos.

I had my problems with that. For one, it ruined the twist that Littlefinger was Sansa's mysterious benefactor. In the book, it was a huge "what the fuck?"-moment when he appeared on that boat. Second problem is, it kind of ruins Littlefingers character. Here's this master player of the game, who is meticulously careful and always covers his tracks - meeting with Sansa, out in the open, where everybody could see him, plotting to get her out of King's Landing.

But they decided to go down that road, so: Okay. I imagine they had their reasons.

Which makes it absolutely mindboggling to introduce Dontos again in Season 4, because those changes from Season 3 which were problematic for many reasons are totally unnecessary now. Why take this detour and deviate from the book storyline, if it'll end up the same? Why not stick to what was in the books in the first place?

My theory: He could have been absent from season 3 because of the actor's availability, or some other boring logistical thing beyond HBO's control.

The game pieces are positioned for things to go down pretty much the same way. The biggest change is switching Loras with Willis because that has implications for Loras's status as the heir to Highgarden. However the writers addressed this last season by adding the scene between Tywin and QOT. It remains to be seen whether Loras will join KG and forfeit his inheritance, or the writers will come up with some other solution that makes sense within the context of the series. Maybe QOT can wield her influence to allow for an exception for Loras to be on KG and still keep his title; or he might be given some unofficial role where he does the same thing without the official KG post.

As for LF's involvement... It is not impossible to guess, since the show has already established that LF is sent to marry Lysa, and that he has a thing for Catelyn. When I read ASOS I was not terribly surprised to see LF at that point. Compared to all the twists and turns in the story, this is not that huge of a twist.

Dontos hasn't actually told Sansa to have a change of clothes ready or that he is going to get her out of KL yet so I assume we will have a scene in the next episode where Sansa learns she is going to escape. Hopefully the scene is the first episode is just to establish who Dontos is then they can reveal why he is there in the next. I think a few people are going to be surprised that an inept drunk can get Sansa out of KL when the greatest minds in Westeros couldn't and then they will be surprised again when his backer is revealed. I just hope that Sansa actually has to do something to aid her own escape rather than Dontos just dragging her off during the wedding.

Spoiler
Hopefully the sarcy "we have a new queen" comment from Sansa in the episode 2 promo indicates that Sansa doesn't care about being polite any more because she knows she is leaving.

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the singer Marrillion already been in the series when Tyrion was being taken to the Eyrie? If this is correct, then I think Marrillion will still have the same role when LF and Sansa arrive. I think LF taking over of the Eyrie will happen in this season, or come close. Of course that would mean they would have run out of LF and Sansa material to use in season 5 unless they use material coming in Winds of Winter.

I disagree about this Ros speculation. Two reasons: 1) Why have Dontos at all if not to bring him back? All named/speaking characters need to have a role in the plot or else they are not used in series.

2) It is too obvious to have Ros approach Sansa since we all know Ros works for LF. The writers are working hard to not reveal some of the big plot twists for non-readers. Savvy non-readers will be wondering what Dontos is all about. But I don't think he will reveal who he works for until he tries to get Sansa to flee. Then he will get killed after she escapes.

It is LFs people who killed him in the books, right?

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the singer Marrillion already been in the series when Tyrion was being taken to the Eyrie? If this is correct, then I think Marrillion will still have the same role when LF and Sansa arrive. I think LF taking over of the Eyrie will happen in this season, or come close. Of course that would mean they would have run out of LF and Sansa material to use in season 5 unless they use material coming in Winds of Winter.

Marrillion got his tongue cut out by Joffrey in Ep. 10.

I disagree about this Ros speculation. Two reasons: 1) Why have Dontos at all if not to bring him back? All named/speaking characters need to have a role in the plot or else they are not used in series.

2) It is too obvious to have Ros approach Sansa since we all know Ros works for LF. The writers are working hard to not reveal some of the big plot twists for non-readers. Savvy non-readers will be wondering what Dontos is all about. But I don't think he will reveal who he works for until he tries to get Sansa to flee. Then he will get killed after she escapes.

It is LFs people who killed him in the books, right?

Mayhaps Ros was going to be our Marillion and Dontos was always going to be Dontos? That way LF blaming Ros would have been more horrifying/surprising for us?

I suppose a tongueless Marillion or NewBard#2 could be the one LF blames the murder on now (not like Marillion could deny it), but from a narrative standpoint, Dontos might be a better choice. Although I do love his death on the boat in terms of shock-value and LF characterization.

Archived