Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

This one is a medium sized question...

"Ser Edmure told me. I am sorry, Mother . . . for Lord Hoster and for you. Yet first we must meet. We've had word from the south. Renly Baratheon has claimed his brother's crown."

"Renly?" she said, shocked. "I had thought, surely it would be Lord Stannis . . . "

"So did we all, my lady," Galbart Glover said.

Why did they expect Stannis to claim the crown? They did not suspect the twincest?

Does House Tallhart honor the old gods or the new?

There was a Ser Helman Tallhart, so at least one of them was, at least formally, supporting the Seven.

This one is a medium sized question...

"Ser Edmure told me. I am sorry, Mother . . . for Lord Hoster and for you. Yet first we must meet. We've had word from the south. Renly Baratheon has claimed his brother's crown."

"Renly?" she said, shocked. "I had thought, surely it would be Lord Stannis . . . "

"So did we all, my lady," Galbart Glover said.

Why did they expect Stannis to claim the crown? They did not suspect the twincest?

Maybe they thought that twincest or not, Robert's brothers were unlikely to just hand over all the power to the Lannisters. There was no love lost between Robert's brothers and the queen's family in any case.

ETA:

When the river lords pledged fealty to Robb, they did so without levec from their liege lord. Was this an oversight by the George? Or could a lesser lord swear such an oath?

Lord Hoster was in no condition to formally bend the knee to Robb, but he wasn't completely catatonic by the time of AGOT, so he probably approved of it, just not very publically. Not to mention that his heir Edmure and Cat were firmly behind Robb. Robb himself is half Tully, after all.

There was a Ser Helman Tallhart, so at least one of them was, at least formally, supporting the Seven.

Maybe they thought that twincest or not, Robert's brothers were unlikely to just hand over all the power to the Lannisters. There was no love lost between Robert's brothers and the queen's family in any case.

ETA:

Lord Hoster was in no condition to formally bend the knee to Robb, but he wasn't completely catatonic by the time of AGOT, so he probably approved of it, just not very publically. Not to mention that his heir Edmure and Cat were firmly behind Robb. Robb himself is half Tully, after all.

1. Not necessarily (Ser Rodrick, Ser Jorah)...

2. Plausible. I'll buy that one...

3. How would they know? It was spontaneous and Hoster was abed...

1. Not necessarily (Ser Rodrick, Ser Jorah)...

2. Plausible. I'll buy that one...

3. How would they know? It was spontaneous and Hoster was abed...

1. Ser Rodrick and Ser Jorah are still formally of the Seven, even if they don't go to pray at the sept every Sunday. You don't have to be pious to be a knight, but it is exclusive to that faith alone. Hence there are few knights in the North, even though the nobles fight and armor themselves just as the Southron knights.

3. Yeah, I suppose. Still, Robb is of Hoster's direct bloodline and is fully supported by the rest of the Tully family (sans Lysa, of course, but as the youngest daughter her opinion wouldn't carry much weight anyway).

The appendix lists the lord of Littlesister as Alesandor Torrent. I was thinking that this was the only Alesandor I'd noticed in the books, but it occurred to me that The Hound is a Sandor; is that his full name or is he another Alesandor?

I'm pretty sure his full name is Sandor. There was an Aelyx Targaryen, Alester Florent, Alisser Thorne, Axell Florent, Queen Alyssane - all those names derive from the real world Alexander, like Alesandor, but they are all full names.

I've searched a forum but didn't find an answer.

Wiki says Addam of Hull was one year older than Alyn, but I didn't find any sources of this. I mean, some of us, Russian fans, did believe (and some of us still believe it) that they were twins. TPaTQ did not say anything about age difference.

Captain Ratchet, you need to spoiler tage that.

Answer:

I dont think the Free Cities have "bastard" names as such. Forel is likely just the name.of.a family there.

As for Addam and Alyn, does it mention ehich Corlys names heir to Driftmark? Because if so that is how we know.who is the eldest

In the winds of winter excerpt from arya we hear of a playwright with the surname forel is forel a bastard surname in braavos?

Captain Ratchet, you need to spoiler tage that.

Answer:

I dont think the Free Cities have "bastard" names as such. Forel is likely just the name.of.a family there.

As for Addam and Alyn, does it mention ehich Corlys names heir to Driftmark? Because if so that is how we know.who is the eldest

Also try asking on the WoW board. :)

Hm, I don't think they both would be heirs if they were twins, right? Only one of them. And, well, Corlys named him heir passing Joffrey, Rhaena and Baela, his "legal" grandkids, why couldn't he pass Addam's twin even if he was older?

Addam of Hull is mentioned on page 729 of Dangerous Women to have been 15 years old in 129AC. In that same passage, Corlys asks Queen Rhaenyra to legitimize Addam and his brother, who is, of course, Alyn. Addam, as stated there, becomes heir to Driftmark.

Alyn's age is mentioned in tPatQ as well, IIRC, but right now, I can't find it (only have the hardcover available right now, and searching in hardcover goes much more slowly than searching with computer..) Perhaps someone with an e-reader can search that one quickly?

One thing I'm certain of, Addam is named heir, and is thus the oldest of the two boys.

Hm, I don't think they both would be heirs if they were twins, right? Only one of them. And, well, Corlys named him heir passing Joffrey, Rhaena and Baela, his "legal" grandkids, why couldn't he pass Addam's twin even if he was older?

Because he also believed Addam and Alyn to be his grandchildren, but through the male line(Laenor) as opposed to the female line (Laena). Its also possible they were his bastard children, but the most popular opinion is that they were Laenor's. So whoever he named heir was most likely the oldest still.

Was it possible to betroth Stannis to Margaery and once she became a woman, marry her? Weird scenario I know but I am wondering about the Florent thing. Why check the Tyrells when the best way to keep the Tyrells loyal is to marry them?

Margaery was 5 years old the year Stannis married Selyse. Betrothing Stannis to Margaery, instead of marrying him off right away, would do only little. The Tyrells press the marriage of Margaery and Tommen because betrothals are too easily broken, but breaking a marriage is more difficult.

Also, the Tyrells fought for the enemy. Why reward them with such a marriage, if they tried to kill you for the better part of a year. Counting ofcourse, that Stannis would refuse to marry the daughter of a man who sat outside of the walls of Storm's End, feasting day after day, whilst Stannis was starving inside.

House Florent, on the other hand, is not mentioned to have been part of the siege (they have not yet been named in any part of the war, for as far as I know, but all the other lords present at the siege have been mentioned). Perhaps House Florent even choose the side of the rebels in the war, don't know.

But having Margaery and Stannis betrothed for 10 years would not have worked at all.. The Tyrells were loyal enough throughout Robert's reign. They were too much aware that the side they had chosen had lost, and had no power left.

Addam of Hull is mentioned on page 729 of Dangerous Women to have been 15 years old in 129AC. In that same passage, Corlys asks Queen Rhaenyra to legitimize Addam and his brother, who is, of course, Alyn. Addam, as stated there, becomes heir to Driftmark.

Alyn's age is mentioned in tPatQ as well, IIRC, but right now, I can't find it (only have the hardcover available right now, and searching in hardcover goes much more slowly than searching with computer..) Perhaps someone with an e-reader can search that one quickly?

Our guys didn't find any...

Because he also believed Addam and Alyn to be his grandchildren, but through the male line(Laenor) as opposed to the female line (Laena). Its also possible they were his bastard children, but the most popular opinion is that they were Laenor's. So whoever he named heir was most likely the oldest still.

One thing I'm certain of, Addam is named heir, and is thus the oldest of the two boys.

So, if we don't find the quote regarding Alyn's age, we still can consider they were twins?

Our guys didn't find any...

So, if we don't find the quote regarding Alyn's age, we still can consider they were twins?

I'm certain there was such a quote somewhere.. I used Alyn's age to discuss parts of the Princess and the Queen, and it was something I didn't simply took from the wiki. If it wasn't in the story itself (which I still can't check for you), than it was something Ran said on one of the two Princess and the Queen threads.

For those who do have the ability to use a search function on the story, try searching for these terms:

"Alyn"

"Hull"

"brother"

"younger"

"ten-and-five"

"fifteen"

"ten-and-four"

"fourteen"

I am aware that with the term "younger" you'll find multiple "Aegon the Younger"s, and that with brother, you'll get a lot of hits as well, but somewhere, it should be stated.

One thought though, Alyn is specifically mentioned to have been Addam's younger brother. Though technically, Alyn would still be younger even if he and Addam had been twins, and Addam was born first (making him the elder and thus also the heir, sort of like a "Cersei-was-born-first-so-she-inherits" kind of situation). But looking at the subtext, them not being twins seems to be more heavily suggested than them having been twins.

Of course, until we've found something stated explicitly, nothing can be assumed 100%.

Stop the search!

I remember where I got Alyn's birth year from!

It's from the Blood of Dragons family tree for the Targaryens. Alyn is mentioned in there, and according to that tree, Alyn was one year younger than his brother.

The current information in there about Alyn is from the Blood of Dragons 2.0 : 2.0 is an updated version, which was adjusted to fit the new information about the characters we would be meeting or receive more information about in the Princess and the Queen. In short, all characters alive during the Dance, received updated information about the events in their lives before the Dance, during the Dance and a few years after the Dance. In there, Alyn's birth was updated to 116AC (in Blood of Dragons 1.0, Alyn's birth year was not mentioned at all). In the Princess and the Queen, we lear that Addam was 15 years old in 129AC, placing his birth in either 114AC (having turned 15 in 129AC) or 113AC (being 15 turning 16 in 129AC).

Archived