Aussies LXII: ICAC, Budgets and Beer

Paxter

Well apparently we have "clear" "achievable" objectives. I particularly like that Australians going to fight for ISIS is "against God" and "against religion". Since when are Australians not allowed to do things against God or religion? I mean, it's not like you even need those reasons...

I'm surprised people are still listening to her. Hopefully the Palmer party will be a one-off phenomenon like one nation. They're even more embarrassing than the average politicians the major parties manage to find.

We need to be careful what we wish for though...without PUP we might be facing the full force of Hockey's budget, including the tertiary education reforms and the medical co-payment.

We need to be careful what we wish for though...without PUP we might be facing the full force of Hockey's budget, including the tertiary education reforms and the medical co-payment.

Just this morning UWA said its fees would be around $100K for a degree under the new rules. Fuck that shit. I could not have afforded my degree at that rate.

But if we replace them with Labor and Greens senators, we could still have the sensible rejection of unfair policies like deregulating tertiary education (I support the medicare payment, though not in the form that Hockey/Dutton insist upon) without the idiocy and shame of having people like Palmer and Lambie in key decision making roles.

I think the senate is pretty well designed in this respect- it's unlikely that any given prime minister will have control of the senate, and even when he/she does, the next election takes care of the situation.

Just this morning UWA said its fees would be around $100K for a degree under the new rules. Fuck that shit. I could not have afforded my degree at that rate.

To be fair, I think what they actually announced was a flat fee of $16k per year regardless of degree. So if you were to study medicine i.e. 3 years undergrad followed by 4 years postgrad, you end with a $112k (+ interest) debt. But your standard commerce or engineering degree only ends up doubling in price to $48-64k. I'm not saying that this is acceptable, clearly it is outrageously unfair to future generations, but the $100k thing is a bit of exuberant headline grabbing by media outlets.

Archived