When Is 'The World of Ice and Fire' Coming Out, Vol.3

They keep their dragon skulls but don't preserve the remnants of their ancestors? Not very likely...

Edit: Thanks, Ran!

Well, we should learn what happened to Alicent eventually. That may be a hint. Or not, since Alicent did not die as Queen, and if she survived the Dance, she may very be forced to join the Silent Sisters or something like that, and end up being buried according to their traditions.

But I was under the impression that a noblewoman joins the family of their husband when they marry, and that should extend to funeral rites as well. Couples tend to want to be buried together, so it would be strange if, say, Catelyn's body would have been sent to Riverrun to get a Tully funeral, when she was Lady Stark her whole life.

And there's a hint in there with Lyanna. As a non-married Stark (or at least officially unmarried Stark), Ned had the right to inter her in Winterfell. Robert most likely would not have allowed that if she had been his wife upon her death. He would have given her the funeral of a member of House Baratheon.

This should extend to any Targaryens-by-marriage as well, although I admit that any non-Targaryen queens/wives were most likely not considered to be as noble by the snobs at court - including other Targaryen women. But that should have nothing to do with the way they were treated after their deaths...

It seems that the usual thing to do when sending corpes to somewhere far away is to use beetles or boiling water to remove the flesh from the bones, and send only the latter.

That's true. And returning Elia's bones could be a sort of peace offer. Because wouldn't refusing to return Elia's bones after her death be an additional stab in the back towards the Dornish? Especially since there are no Targaryens left to claim her body.

And by returning only bones, the only evidence that could be left are broken bones. If her body really had been been treated in such a way that she had suffered broken bones, I could see the rebels not wanting to return her to Dorne, and instead choosing to cremate her with her children.

That's true. And returning Elia's bones could be a sort of peace offer. Because wouldn't refusing to return Elia's bones after her death be an additional stab in the back towards the Dornish? Especially since there are no Targaryens left to claim her body.

And by returning only bones, the only evidence that could be left are broken bones. If her body really had been been treated in such a way that she had suffered broken bones, I could see the rebels not wanting to return her to Dorne, and instead choosing to cremate her with her children.

If they hadn't been returned already, I think Jon Arryn would have taken Elia's bones when he placated Dorne. I could imagine some comment from Oberyn if Elia had never been returned (or at least buried with dignity). Oberyn and Lewyn were returned to Dorne, I have a feeling Elia propbably was too...

On the topic of Dorne, I'm looking forward to having a name for the Princess of Dorne who was friends with Joanna :laugh:

Even though it's still not entirely certain what happened after the Rebellion, Ran, thank you for the answers on Elia/Rhaenys/Aegon! :) It made the picture a bit clearer in my head!

If they hadn't been returned already, I think Jon Arryn would have taken Elia's bones when he placated Dorne. I could imagine some comment from Oberyn if Elia had never been returned (or at least buried with dignity). Oberyn and Lewyn were returned to Dorne, I have a feeling Elia propbably was too...
On the topic of Dorne, I'm looking forward to having a name for the Princess of Dorne who was friends with Joanna :laugh:

Yes, I'm hoping her name is mentioned in the book as well. It will make several conversations somewhat easier :p

On the name of Doran's mother:

If that's revealed in the Worldbook, I'd really like to learn it now, since I could then include it in the German version of the App. I really resent it to refer to this woman only as 'the Princess of Dorne'.

The same goes for Walder Frey's father, the Lord Frey from TMK who does not seem to have a first name.

But if those names are not mentioned in the Worldbook, it makes no difference...

Do we finally get the Bolton and Frey house words? :)

We already know House Bolton's motto, "Our Blades are Sharp" but they prefer "A Flayed Man Holds No Secrets".

Ran,

will we learn what do Asshai'i look like?

The Bolton words are 'Our Blades Are Sharp', they have been known for quite some time. I got them from Ran for the front page of ADwD for the German edition. And I think those words were also mentioned in third season history feature of the show...

But I also would like to know the Frey words...

I'm seriously so excited for this. If only October would come sooner!

However, I have a silly - and probably stupid - question. Why is it that it's $50? Considering that the average cost for a hardcover is around $20-$25.

For one thing, most hardcovers aren't "lavishly illustrated," and not only does that cost substantial money to produce, it also requires high quality glossy paper to print it on. I also believe the book is taller and wider than a conventional novel (a coffee table book, as they say).

Fortunately, at least as of now, it's heavily discounted on Amazon as well (40%, which comes to $30), and if you happened to get your order in early enough an even lower price was locked in (mine shows up at $22.30, did anyone do better?). Compared to other books I've seen in this format, it seems very reasonably priced.

Archived