Nitpick With Impunity: Goat Edition

I understand that Bryan Cogman had to scale the wall that D&D wrote themselves into with their shitty fanfiction, and I think he did a really good job and I respect him for that, but it could have been so much better if he gave Ramsay real armor instead of plot armor.

They wrote themselves into a corner, yes, but there are a million more elegant ways to get out of there.

For example, very similar to what actually happened, but better: Sneak into the castle stealth-mode and kidnap Theon. They could manage to escape, but at a very inconvenient moment, he starts screaming for help and alerting the guards - many guards, way too many to fight. Asha is forced to leave him behind and flee.

This would have gotten across everything that needed to come across, without a stupid fight scene, stupid shirtless Ramsay, stupid dogs, stupid awkward cuts that make no sense etc.

They wrote themselves into a corner, yes, but there are a million more elegant ways to get out of there.

For example, very similar to what actually happened, but better: Sneak into the castle stealth-mode and kidnap Theon. They could manage to escape, but at a very inconvenient moment, he starts screaming for help and alerting the guards - many guards, way too many to fight. Asha is forced to leave him behind and flee.

This would have gotten across everything that needed to come across, without a stupid fight scene, stupid shirtless Ramsay, stupid dogs, stupid awkward cuts that make no sense etc.

This pretty much. They could even have one Ironborn tell Yara that Theon is "gone" and then have them flee from reinforcements or something. Anything really.

I join those griping about the Dreadfort scenes. They didn't really work well for me. Too rushed and the escape was a little too easy.

I liked the scenes at Craster's last week, I felt they worked quite well, added some action at a point where the season could have sagged. But the Dreadfort stuff just felt tacked on.

Otherwise it was a good episode.

:agree:

I haven't liked a lot of what they've done with the Iron Bank. I wasn't a fan of Tywin's speech, and I'm not exactly a fan of the bankers flashing their power, making potential customers feel ill at ease, and, like you said, all but openly mocking them.

Book Tycho tried to be as accommodating as possible. He was the one that did the travelling, he styled whoever he met as they would wish it, he didn't do anything to prick their pride or past failings, he, as he put it, is always glad to be of service. That made sense, he wants as much business as possible, and we didn't need some rambling speech about the bank being an insurmountable temple that controls the world to get the point across that the bank was powerful, either.

That's a good point now that you mention it. Tycho was always underplaying everything he did, totally matter of fact, oh yeah, I found some people to take me through an insane Northern snowstorm to get here...no big deal, it's what I do. IB in the books is portrayed as very subtle.

I'm very annoyed that Jorah and Barristan are getting the Catelyn treatment - fascinating characters that are the most interesting in their storyline, yet are nothing more than props standing around wordlessly. They should be increasing Jorah's importance right now, in preparation of his eventual fate, not decreasing it.

Maybe because it's not their storyline, it's Dany's. And anyway Jorah had a major scene with Dany last week.

Maybe because it's not their storyline, it's Dany's. And anyway Jorah had a major scene with Dany last week.

They still have and/or will get their own subplots in the near future. Jorah's should have even started by now, but they probably need to streamline it a bit.

They still have and/or will get their own subplots in the near future. Jorah's should have even started by now, but they probably need to streamline it a bit.

Yeah, but here's the thing. If they are going to invent stupid non book stuff like Asha sailing around Westeros to get Theon, and then giving up in 5 minutes and leaving him alive to his fate.....

They can't invent some scenes with Ian Glen and instead he stands around in the background now and never gets any lines?

Yeah, but here's the thing. If they are going to invent stupid non book stuff like Asha sailing around Westeros to get Theon, and then giving up in 5 minutes and leaving him alive to his fate.....

They can't invent some scenes with Ian Glen and instead he stands around in the background now and never gets any lines?

That's true. I don't understand why they don't flesh out the Essos stuff instead as it progresses at a slower pace than the Westeros story lines at this point. Instead of Yara we could have more Jorah or Barristan dialogue, connecting Dany a little more to Westeros again. Doesn't have to be much, juts little nods.

Fez wrote

Also, not a lot of TV characters kill their own fathers, no matter what the circumstances are. It doesn't happen that often in movies either, expect for a couple of Shakespeare's works. Its not something people are used to seeing, and I think it will be incredibly jarring for the audience.

Rare on TV, uncommon in real life, but rife in mythology.

I've come to nitpick that fact that my old computer died and that I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on the nitpicking, not to mention, everything else.

Tis All, LOL

~waves HI to all and asks for extra forgiveness on typos, the new computer is great, the new keyboard, not so great, LOL

ON TOPIC: I agree, NO NEKKED FUN TIMES WITH RAMSEY, ughhhhhhhhh............just having to type that is all wrong.

He had significant lines in "First of his name", they very much reminded us he is Dany's closest friend and advisor.

I've come to nitpick that fact that my old computer died and that I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on the nitpicking, not to mention, everything else.

Tis All, LOL

~waves HI to all and asks for extra forgiveness on typos, the new computer is great, the new keyboard, not so great, LOL

ON TOPIC: I agree, NO NEKKED FUN TIMES WITH RAMSEY, ughhhhhhhhh............just having to type that is all wrong.

Ha. We were right about the Essos brothel, though weren't we? LOL.

What do you think about the theory that Ramsay killed Myranda and they cut the scene from the show, which is why it was so short and why the blood on him looks less like cuts from a sword fight and more like scratches or not even his own blood?

What do you think about the theory that Ramsay killed Myranda and they cut the scene from the show, which is why it was so short and why the blood on him looks less like cuts from a sword fight and more like scratches or not even his own blood?

Didn't she smack him in the trailer in a scene looking like that? Guess he took the torture sex fetish too far.

Didn't she smack him in the trailer in a scene looking like that? Guess he took the torture sex fetish too far.

Yeah, that's where the theory comes from...we see her hit him in the trailer, but that never appeared in the show...leading to the idea she slapped him and then he killed her.

Ok, new computer isn't showing me the quote I picked to reply to Cas Stark, I will try to figure THAT ONE out later, LOL

I'm guessing they put the POOL in that brothel to distinguish it from THE brothel? I was sooooooooooooooo happy to see Sallador Saan (and have him say the word 'Dragonstone') that I'm willing to hold off on brothel nitpicking, for Braavos anyway. By the way, that reminds me, WTF with Oberyn inviting Varys to THE brothel?? Honestly, are they trying to tell us that The Prince of Dorne doesn't have actual, you know, ROOMS in The Red Keep or at least somewhere on the castle property?? That pissed me off, even if he's stocking all of his rooms at THE brothel with Dornish wine. WTF indeed? That question, and the fact I have to ask such a question.......is a big, big, big nit.

As far as Ramsey and the girl, I'm behind on reading any theories on it, but that's an interesting idea. I cannot believe that Myranda actually thinks she would live through any relationship with Ramsey. I'll have to check out some of the posts, I'm behind on theories about the past two shows, but that is an interesting idea, him already having killed her. I did read already someone suspecting that Myranda might be used as Fake Arya, but I kind of doubt they could pass her off as even younger than Sansa. For all the mess of the Dreadfort scenes, I am so happy that

they didn't kill off their Yara/Fake Asha. I was so worried about her status that I hadn't given much thought to The Bastard's Blood.

~seven hells, I HATE this keyboard, and I'm curious to see, did your OG post to me even show up on this post (I can't find it), or not~ Sorry for the longer post.............between the keyboard and the fact I'm so behind on reading around here, I got carried away. :blushing:

ETA: Looks like I need to figure out the settings and why the new computer is tampering with my ability to reply quote and actually show said quote I am replying to......this will be a mess til hubby comes home, I AM SURE. :bawl: :tantrum:

LOL, I also thought 'come on by the brothel to see Ellaria' was strange, like, they sex addicts and can't be more than a few minutes from their next orgy? Ridiculous, but typical HBO, turn a hedonist with an unconventional attitude about sex into a sex freak.

By the way, that reminds me, WTF with Oberyn inviting Varys to THE brothel?? Honestly, are they trying to tell us that The Prince of Dorne doesn't have actual, you know, ROOMS in The Red Keep or at least somewhere on the castle property?? That pissed me off, even if he's stocking all of his rooms at THE brothel with Dornish wine. WTF indeed? That question, and the fact I have to ask such a question.......is a big, big, big nit.

This is my biggest issue.

Another small thing, but apparently the Prince of Dorne only has one outfit However, he wears it well so I can't complain too much.

Resolving the discrepancies -- some crackpottery, just for fun. No, I'm not quoting from everyone who's commented on these! Credit where credit is due, of course.

How did Davos know where to find Saan, or that he'd be in THAT particular brothel?. This one's easy -- Mrs Saan told him when he dropped off the big chest o'gold. We don't know that The Mrs objects to his frequenting brothels, after all.

How can Yara be quoting Ramsay's letter when it was burned to ash? Another easy one -- she transcribed it from memory, or at least as well as she could remember it. Iron Islanders are sensitive to their reputations, after all -- those insults from Ramsay, and the tone, would've stuck.

How is Varys getting accurate information so quickly from so far away without using magic? We know he had (or has) at least one sorcerer prisoner. We didn't SEE Varys kill him. He could be forcing him to use magic to scry distant places. Perhaps Varys' hatred of magic is all an act, a cover for his true activities, or maybe he could set his hatred aside in service to his Greater Cause.

The biggie: How could an unarmored Ramsay drive off fifty of the Ironborn's most skilled and seasoned warriors with two knives and a few normal dogs? I think we can all agree this is an unlikely scenario at best...for a normal person. Perhaps Ramsay is possessed by the Great Other, or some other supernatural entity, one that feeds on pain and fear and gives him some mesmerizing power over his victims. A bit hokey, yes, but it's better than the huge freakin' plothole otherwise.

How did the Ironborn escape?. Well, Ramsay clearly gave Yara/Asha a fighting chance (no pun intended); he asked "How fast can you run?" Presumably Super!Ramsay hunted the Ironborn and many of her warriors sacrificed themselves so she could escape. Somehow the sound editors forgot to put "braying hounds" in while the Ironborn remnant fled to their river boats. Once the IB return to their longboat(s), they'll have long discussions about how overwhelming and cruel Ramsay is and how he just can't be an ordinary man and how they'll need to bring Drowned God priests to face him next time. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Oberyn doesn't have rooms befitting his station in the Red Keep? He does but he prefers not to use them -- after all, Kings Landing spies are everywhere. His men-at-arms are probably staying in them. Presumably he had the brothel and its rooms checked for spyholes and other inconveniences. Ellaria stays to guard the Dornish wine (after all, Oberyn CERTAINLY knows Westeros has some undetectable poisons!).

Oberyn only has one outfit? I blatantly stole this solution from a DBZ board -- he has a dozen copies of the same outfit. It's like the Prince's uniform or something.

Edited: Solved two new ones. Yea, me!

Archived