Nitpick With Impunity: Goat Edition

I'm just glad they didn't show his ruined crotch area. I still say it's possible, as I argued back when we only had the books, that he didn't actually lose it and it's that trick I've heard about last in Africa where people had a mania that shamans stole their penises. The mental domination to do that would theoretically be more interesting and impressive to Ramsay. Until they show it I still say we don't know!

- As was said already, the whole Asha thing was several levels of awful, so I won't repeat it. I'll just say that I hate how they turned Asha into Badass Stoic Chick TM instead of the charismatic and sassy character from the books. Also, I find Ramsey's voice annoying as fuck

- Stannis was a literal prop

- Although I think he's funny, making Mace play fetch with Tywin crossed the line. Every other episode Tywin talks about how much they need the Tyrells and then he goes and offends the lord of Highgarden.

- Varys (and Oberyn!) pretty much going "Yes, yes, the Targaryen girl is a serious threat". Those two were the last people who should be saying that shit, considering Dany is an essential part of their plans

- And a definition of nitpick: I don't like Stannis' red sails because they look too much like the Lannister colors

I’d bet Asha fucked her way out of this adaptation. To have your name removed from subplots that are as stupid as this “attack on Dreadfort” is, now, that has to be the biggest reward a book character can ever hope for.

Did Davos tell the bankers anything they didn’t know already? Other than his cut fingers, not at all. But, they changed their minds after his little speech nevertheless. It’s one of the most ridiculous tropes in movie/TV storytelling, so GOT is hardly the first show ever to depict someone’s change of heart so unrealistically, but it was still lame.

Also lame was banker’s manners. If you’re a banker, you just don’t insult your potential costumers. “Not counting those ships at the bottom of the Blackwater Bay”? What kind of a line is that? What banker would ever say something like that? Is that the best D&D can do in portraying one’s cold and calculative mind? Seems like it is, because they did the same thing with The Spice King in season 2.

In “Inside the episode” video, D&D said they’re fascinated with the very concept of a bank in a high-fantasy, and they wanted to flesh it some more. With using worn-out tropes&clichés and heavy-handed dialogues that last fro a couple of minutes?! Really?! Do yourself a favor, D&D: next time you want to flesh something out, just don’t. (Unless it’s a brothel. Brothels always need fleshing out. It’s TV, after all.)

Dincklage did overact Tyrion’s rage, but I guess he had to, because it’d be anticlimactic otherwise, thanks to 1) all the simplification of Tyrion, and 2) ludicrous “love story” between him and Shae. About that second one, it’s hard to believe someone actually came up with the idea of a whore who in the name of love refuses diamonds that would make her a rich woman, only to push the man she supposedly loves to his grave later on.

And, how is Dany “whitewashed” in this episode? She punished slavemasters; the only slavemaster we’ve seen so far is much more sympathetic than in the books; and on top of that, he and his family could possibly be the innocent victims of Dany’s penal system; how does that make her “whitewashed”, please? (On a side note, Hyzdhar is not a very realistic character here: “My queen, you’re very beautiful, and this pyramid is beautiful, and my father built it. My father?! Huh, I thought you’d never ask. Well, he’s dead! And yes, you killed him.” So lame.)

By the way, the episode was way better than the rest of the season so far.

Back to the goat. If I were a goat herder, I'd set up a nice racket: burn one goat every couple of weeks, bring it to Dany and she'll keep giving me three times the value of "my lost flock" - seriously, how long before the other goat herders catch on?

Also lame was banker’s manners. If you’re a banker, you just don’t insult your potential costumers. “Not counting those ships at the bottom of the Blackwater Bay”? What kind of a line is that? What banker would ever say something like that?

Actually, that was the most realistic line of the whole encounter. Stannis isn't there with a large sum of money he'd like to invest somewhere. The IBB has all the cards and they know it. And when it comes to giving money, bankers are hard as nails, especially when someone appears to be a poor investment like Stannis.

The rest of the encounter was unrealistic and cliche, but not that line.

I'm not sure about the casting of Tychos, but I liked the IB set and this is a change that makes sense for TV, giving the viewer the visual of the super imposing rich as hell bank itself, this is the kind of change that makes sense. But, as usual, their handling of the change is a bit wobbly with Stannis showing up and doing nothing to advocate for himself.

Also lame was banker’s manners. If you’re a banker, you just don’t insult your potential costumers. “Not counting those ships at the bottom of the Blackwater Bay”? What kind of a line is that? What banker would ever say something like that? Is that the best D&D can do in portraying one’s cold and calculative mind? Seems like it is, because they did the same thing with The Spice King in season 2.

Both the Iron bankers and the Spice King are people who aren't seeking anything from the people they're having an audience with -- Dany has nothing to offer the Spice King, as he points out, and Stannis has nothing in particular to offer the Iron Bank either (they clearly took the meeting as a courtesy, before Davos persuaded them otherwise).

i asked you a simple question i was not trying to be offensive i was merely curious, The show and the books are entirely different entities, and finally up until ADWD i did not find anything wrong with Tyrion that was why i was asking a question.

It might be worth checking out the Re-reading Tyrion thread http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/73793-rereading-tyrion/#entry3600156

On a first read it is very easy to completely sympathise with him, but on further re-reads his status as an unreliable narrator becomes much clearer.

But some example from the show:

Removed:

Breaking Marillion's fingers because Marillion mocked him (something Tyrion likes doing to others)

Rewrote his relationship with Shae cutting out the domestic violence

Removed his threats to rape Tommen

Removed poisoning Cersei

Removed the murder of the singer

Removed his vows made in bad faith to the Starks

Removed his mocking of Loras about Renly

Etc, etc, etc

On top of that they have added to his saintlyness:

He wants Ned's sword returned

He has no women issues

Concerned about Pod

Concerned about Sansa

Puts Shae's safety ahead of his own desires

Other characters talk him up: even Robb and Cat were no longer upset by the forced marriage

Etc

Actually, that was the most realistic line of the whole encounter. Stannis isn't there with a large sum of money he'd like to invest somewhere. The IBB has all the cards and they know it. And when it comes to giving money, bankers are hard as nails, especially when someone appears to be a poor investment like Stannis.

The rest of the encounter was unrealistic and cliche, but not that line.

Have to disagree. It's one thing to more-less politely refuse a request; that's what bankers do all the time. It's something else to insult an applicant. There's no need for that. In fact, the cold, calculative logic would suggest exactly the opposite: this is someone who may be a client one day, so why insult him?!

The negotiation between Jamie and Tywin is quite clever, something, as our moderators point out, GRRM could have thought of.

My question is, and it's never explained, why does a loss or really a draw in this case, in trial by combat, mean one is really guilty?

Tyrion does not really confess , he just antagonizes everybody.

The King could still send him take the black.

Yeah, I know that's not a good option.

After all "It's good to be the King."

My question is, and it's never explained, why does a loss or really a draw in this case, in trial by combat, mean one is really guilty?

It comes down to who dies first. Oberyn is comprehensively dead. The Mountain is not (and lives for some time later, in agony).

The negotiation between Jamie and Tywin is quite clever, something, as our moderators point out, GRRM could have thought of.

Tyrion does not really confess , he just antagonizes everybody.

The King could still send him take the black.

Yeah, I know that's not a good option.

After all "It's good to be the King."

But I never understood how book-Tywin, powerful as he was, could have gotten away with sending Tyrion to the Wall if Tyrion was convicted of regicide. The deliberate murder of a king, particularly a king who happened to be his nephew, is a Big Deal, and it happened at said king's wedding, not during the breaking of a siege (i.e. another Lannister slaying a king). Wouldn't it have undercut the prestige of the de facto Lannister monarchy if the officially convicted murderer or a Lannister king was allowed to live?

Archived