Raw Milk v. Raw Fish, Steak tartare, and raw oysters

Wow, has this thread gone in directions I did not anticipate.

:blush:

Really? This was pretty much the expected direction.

This thread has cheered my soul and exemplifies why I need to keep hanging around here. I have snorted, hooted and hollered over the serious and highly important topic of raw milk.

I am kinda shocked by that, but you yayhoos are pretty darn funny.

Plus, I learned so much. :)

ES , seriously, i dont think you should snort raw milk!!

No, that's the kind of thing that inner city youths from really deprived areas do.

They start out on the soft stuff the UHT, or some homogenised, then before you know it they're scoring raw and furtively snorting it. Tragic really.

Hey! I was enjoying the mental picture of Louis Pasteur and Big Pharma cackling together in a secret basement laboratory as they devised a method to keep themselves rich and the world unhealthy by isolating people from the unlimited health benefits of raw milk.

goddam raw milk vampires, setting themselves up as secret nutritional masters over the herd.

goddam raw milk vampires, setting themselves up as secret nutritional masters over the herd.

luckily in the farthest reaches of the galaxy the raw milk rebellion continues, sneaking forbidden goodness across state lines to the malnourished and starving...

Contrary to what those creeps at the CDC would have us believe, no one has ever died from snorting raw milk.

What about the ones that drowndeded? They looked pretty dead to me.

The fact that their lungs were filled with raw milk is in no way an indication that raw milk was responsible; who knows what else they'd been snorting?! In fact, given that last year 75 people died from milk inhalation and 2000 people died from water-drowning, we can conclude that snorting milk actually saves lives. Science!

This thread has been a lot of fun, and I don't want the party to end.

There are no documented cases of death from drinking raw milk.

This article seems to disagree. The deadly cow 51:

On March 25, 1922, a two-year-old Portland child “with the clinical picture of sore throat and acute encephalitis” died. Over the next days, nearly 500 people would be infected and 21 more children would die in an outbreak of foodborne disease that was both quick and deadly.

Three days after that first death, Portland’s city health bureau turned to the University of Oregon’s Medical School for help, eventually authorizing medical Dr. R.L. Benson and H.J. Sears, who had a Ph.D in bacteriology, to “undertake an investigation.”

Benson and Sears not only conducted a most thorough investigation, but also recorded their findings in an 11-page report published in the June 2, 1923 edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

“A Milk-Borne Epidemic of Septic Sore Throat in Portland, Oregon” by Benson and Sears tells how their investigation led them to “a single raw milk dairy.” In many ways, their report was as detailed as those done today by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The Benson-Sears report even includes a level of detail not found in CDC public reports — Table 2 is a log of all 22 of the deaths, including the case number, gender, age, date of death, onset of illness date, and notes on contributing causes in the 1922 outbreak.

Benson and Sears did not run a passive investigation. ”On our recommendation, the health bureau at once ordered heating of all of the (raw) milk of this dairy by whatever method would be feasible, and placed two employees of the bureau in charge of the dairy,” they wrote.

Within 24 hours, after milk from the dairy was heated, the incidence of new cases of septic sore throat in the community dramatically declined, Benson and Sears reported.

Once the infections were halted, Benson and Sears turned their attention to the raw milk dairy, where they found 51 “milking cows of various breeds housed in a wooden structure with concrete floors and with proper facilities for flushing floors and handling excreta.”

Benson and Sears found the system for cooling milk was efficient. But “we learned that cows having diseased udders were kept in their regular stalls along with healthy cows, and in some instances only the diseased quarter was excluded from milking,” they reported. Benson and Sears concluded it might not always be possible for whomever milked a cow to know which milk should be discarded, because different cows were milked on different shifts.

Speaking of dairy conspiracies, I did once meet a strange hippy fellow who confidently declared that the story of Red Riding Hood was concocted by US dairy farmers as anti-wolf propaganda. Brothers Grimm who? I wonder how far their evil milky tentacles stretch..? Is nothing safe?

Archived