In Between Kinslaying and Greyscale, Is There Any Realistic Chance for Tyrion To Survive ASOIAF?

Newstar

hard to say what will happen with the greyscale. there's been plenty of references to the stone gargoyles and other things that could be foreshadowing. or not. as for the kinslaying, obviously there's no curse but there are serious repercussions for such an act. again, it's hard to say whether tyrion is paying for that now as he struggles as a slave and is forced to do humiliating things in order to survive or whether he'll have to pay a more serious price upon returning to westeros.

it could go either way but i don't think it's automatically a death sentence for him. i kind of get the feeling he will die from something unrelated to either of these but it's just a hunch.

I think Tyrion getting Greyscale will add salt to the wounds of his crappy life. While I don't like that Tyrion gave the order for the nasty rumor about Shireen and if he get greyscale, it would be poetic because he basically went after a innocent who is a outcast like him , I think it would be dumb to give Tyrion Greyscale.

Nah, he dead. One of the things Richard III is remembered for is being the last monarch to die in battle. Plus he's GRRM's favourite, he'll give him a heroic last stand I reckon.

Stannis is taking that part of Richard's life actually. Tyrion is no monarch. If Tyrion has to die a heroic death would be great, but I don't know that it will be in battle, as he does try to avoid battles as often as he can. He's really got a lot more Anthony Woodville (split with Jaime) than Richard III.

Damn, clearly it's time for a reread, I was under the impression that was just a forum theory, not an actual in-canon rumour.

It was a counter rumor put out by Tyrion and Cersei to combat Stannis's Incest/bastard claim.

Stannis is taking that part of Richard's life actually. Tyrion is no monarch. If Tyrion has to die a heroic death would be great, but I don't know that it will be in battle, as he does try to avoid battles as often as he can. He's really got a lot more Anthony Woodville (split with Jaime) than Richard III.

No Tyrion far more closely represents Richard III, Tyrion just isn't a monarch yet.

I have speculated in various threads that Tyrion dies in the battle of Mereen.

IMHO, a lot of things add up:

1) He is a kinslayer

2) He might have greyscale (I am fascinated with the idea that his tongue turns to stone and he dies because he can't talk himself out anymore).

3) His AdwD arc is 3/4 downhill, then he seems to get up again. That is usually when heroes die in movies ...

4) The Peggy quote, paraphrased, "you don't wear armor" could be a hint by GRRM that Tyrion has run out of plot armor

2) He might have greyscale (I am fascinated with the idea that his tongue turns to stone and he dies because he can't talk himself out anymore).

ooohh I like that, the irony is delicious! as much as I love the Imp, it's all about his wit and Wiles, if he loses that........ :dunno:

No Tyrion far more closely represents Richard III, Tyrion just isn't a monarch yet.

The Baratheon brothers are the Plantagenet brothers with the last two reversed. Robert was Edward IV, Stannis is Richard III, and Renly was George of Clarence.

Tyrion does have bits of Richard III, but Stannis is the one who has claimed the throne by saying his brother's children are bastards and have no right to it (different details of course because it's not just a re-imagining of history), and has been waging war to take the throne. Stannis is also a proven warrior and battle commander who has been of great help to Robert in both taking and holding the throne, like Richard. He has a blood claim to the throne, like Richard. He's also very likely to die in battle, like Richard. The role is split between the two characters but weighs more heavily toward Stannis overall, particularly as regards the throne.

Tyrion is unlikely to sit the throne unless Jon or Dany takes it first, names him heir, and then dies. Not exactly Richard-like. Possible of course, but not something that seems like a given by any means.

I am completely open on this. There has been some forshadowing that he has Greyscale, but nothing concrete (heh)

Haw!

It's well known that Tyrion is GRRM's favourite, but he's also spoken of being aware of the need for writers to "kill their darlings." I could see him killing Tyrion off to make an example of him and prove wrong all those who've said Tyrion's too beloved by GRRM to die.

The Baratheon brothers are the Plantagenet brothers with the last two reversed. Robert was Edward IV, Stannis is Richard III, and Renly was George of Clarence.

Tyrion does have bits of Richard III, but Stannis is the one who has claimed the throne by saying his brother's children are bastards and have no right to it (different details of course because it's not just a re-imagining of history), and has been waging war to take the throne. Stannis is also a proven warrior and battle commander who has been of great help to Robert in both taking and holding the throne, like Richard. He has a blood claim to the throne, like Richard. He's also very likely to die in battle, like Richard. The role is split between the two characters but weighs more heavily toward Stannis overall, particularly as regards the throne.

Tyrion is unlikely to sit the throne unless Jon or Dany takes it first, names him heir, and then dies. Not exactly Richard-like. Possible of course, but not something that seems like a given by any means.

No it's weighted towards Tyrion and GRRM well continues the course with the Mercy chapter. GRRM has just used Richard's positioning and circumstance to slot Stannis into the equation, but his story since the series has moved in a direction away from any course resembling Richard.

In Tyrion's case, both are physically deformed. Both their physical deformities are represented as manifestations of evil. Both actually rule, albeit Tyrion as Hand. Both (were thought to have) ruled well. Both had their rules misrepresented and came to be loathed by the common people (after the fact in Richard's case). Both married a traitor's daughter for her claim. Tyrion's wife Sansa well parallels Richard's Anne. Both are accused of killing their nephew to steal his throne.

They're both depicted in plays about themselves as comically evil villains, GRRM not particularly loosely mirroring the opening scene and language of Richard III in the Bloody Hand.

All that's left is for Tyrion and Sansa is to unlikely come into their throne following the declaration of Tyrion's nephew (and/or niece) as illegitimate, which he is, like Richard and Anne.

Archived