Lies of Locke Lamora Contest!

Scott Lynch

• 3 weeks later...
But seeing as there hasn't been an announcement, that doesn't mean I lost either! So until then, I can think I won! :P

Except that your cocktail was significantly inferior to mine, meaning that there is no chance that you won.

So at what point do we just start publicly posting our recipes here so we can at least discuss them in the absence of a winner?

Oh dear god, my drink killed him! That's why we have no winner.

I don't think there is any harm in posting our own recipes, as the deadline for entry is long since past. I tried to stay true to the era and locale in picking my ingredients, on the off chance that maybe Scott might include the drink in one of the novels if the winner weren't an anachronism.

But checking my outbound e-mail, apparently sent mails get deleted after a number of days from Comcast. Bummin. I'll have to track it down another way.

I have been trying to convene the Great Tasting Council, but real life keeps interfering. Everybody and their cousin had halloween parties, my grandfather spent some time in the hospital, Jen and I went to WFC... we had a plan to do it this weekend following a birthday party, but this weekend is the Wisconsin hunting opener; for the next week or two, I am one of only (literally) 6-8 firefighters in town guaranteed to be home most of the time, and I have something of a duty to not get smashed.

Still workin' on it, though.

Cheers,

S

• 4 weeks later...
I have been trying to convene the Great Tasting Council, but real life keeps interfering.

The holidays are a lovely time to get together with friends for a few drinks. Particularly ones with the pleasant warming side effect of Brandy in them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with Christmas so nearly upon us, I think those who submitted recipes should share them with the rest of us so we can have some kind of communal Christmas drinking bonding experience, or something... unfortunately I never quite got round to it, as the few concoctions I tried were pretty grim and not worth sending, but any other recipes to try over the next few work-free days would be appreciated!

I'll play :) Enjoy if you try it. For anyone scared of JD, you barely even taste it.

1oz Jack Daniels

1oz Southern Comfort

1oz Cherry Brandy

A sipping drink made for the perfect gentleman, bastardized by the mixing of blends. Served in an old fashioned glass on the rocks. Be sure to pour in the order listed, brandy last.

In the spirit of Westeros, I'll just link to the page that has all of our creations (well, not all of them, as I see the Gentleman Bastard #2, and a number of others, haven't been posted yet, but I'll get Mr. X on it), including the Fire and Blood, the Prince of Dorne and the Gentleman Bastard #1 (all served at WorldCon this year.)

Hmmm....I'll have to dig up GB #2 and put it up on the page.

For now, here's our G.B. #1 recipe, served to a few folks at the BWB party in LA this summer:

1 1/2 oz cognac

3/4 oz red vermouth

3/4 oz Cointreau

1/2 oz lime juice

Shake it up with ice, strain, and enjoy.

My version

The Gentleman Bastard

Ingredients

3 oz ginger-infused Stone's Ginger Wine (see below)

1 oz cognac (VSOP or better suggested - I used Claude Chatelier XO)

hot water

1 dash Dave's Insanity chili pepper sauce

To properly prepare The Gentleman Bastard, fill a brandy snifter half full with boiling water and discard after a few minutes. Then refill the snifter with 4 oz. more water. Add infused Ginger wine and cognac and a SINGLE dash of hot sauce. Garnish with a rinsed cocktail onion impaled on a toothpick along with two slices of Japanese shoga (the pink ginger that is generally served with sushi).

If the hot sauce is omitted, it simply becomes the classic Gentleman of Camorr cocktail. Nice, but not something that would please the palate of one who'd experienced the strong flavors of Camorri spirits.

Infused Ginger Wine

Take any quanitty of Stone's Ginger Wine and place in an airtight container in the refrigerator with a quantity of fresh ginger cut into cubes approximately 1/2 cm in size. Use two such cubes for each ounce of ginger wine. The wine should seep for a minimum of 72 hours with the potency of the ginger flavor increasing with additional time. Strain ginger pieces out before serving.

Archived