Werewolves: the Stark kids

Frankenstein's Monster: Robert Strong

Witches: Mirri Maz Duur, Melisandre

Zombies: Wights

Ghosts: Shadow babies

Creature from the Lagoon: Squishers

Gypsy's Curse: Maggy the Frog

Haunted House: Harrenhal, the Nightfort

At this point it would be surprising if there weren't a vampire. There are a few candidates that resemble the origins of vampire stories. Mad Danelle Lothston's sigil was a bat, and she reputedly stole children and bathed in their blood, similar to Elizabeth Bathory. Ramsey Snow impaled the Ironborn on spikes to intimidate his enemies (The Freys, rivals for heir to the Dreadfort) like Vlad the Impaler. But Roose better fits the mythical Vampire: Roose says he uses leeches to ensure a long life, possibly connecting blood magic with longevity. His lack of ancestors, ageless face, and antipathy towards heirs (forgiving Ramsey's murder of Domeric) are other hints. If you've read Fevre Dream, George doesn't hesitate to toss out well-known vampire traits (aversion to silver, running water, and garlic.)

Are there any horror tropes you've found in ASoIaF?

Guy who cuts off peoples penises for fun, flays others for laughs, starves his forced wife to death, names his dogs after women who actually gave a chase instead of being caught easily and raped and murdered.

There's a bloody horror trope from real horror and not this fake nonsense we call "horror."

I know I'll get told off for mentioning show stuff but show!Ramsey does seem to talk about upholding Bolton traditions a hell of a lot. I'm thinking whatever Bolton "traditions" are they are going to be both weird and important. Horrible family secrets/rites are another trope of both horror and gothic fiction.

The horror elements in ASoIaF don't have to do with the supaernatural elements, rather than it is many, many chapters and entire sotry arcs that are set up like a horror story. The foreboding, mysteries alluded to and not seen, setting up for hammer blows, characters lost and not understanding their surroundings, the morality tales, the twists and turns etc.These are horror tropes, not the zombies and Maritn uses them liberally.

Prominent examples of chapters that are set up like horror stories is the Red Wedding, the Arya chapters following and preceeding it, Dany in the HotU, all the prologues, Sansa's chapter when she makes the snow castle and Lysa goes out the moon door, Brienne's face off with Lady Stoneheart and I'm not even close to finishing. Even entire story arcs. Stannis' arc before going North (Dragonstone could be named Castle Creepy, Cersei's in AFFC (she is running through a maze fighting imagined enemies, while setting up her own downfall) Arya's arcs leading up to and in Harrenhal and her arc in Braavos, large protions of Bran's story arc and more.

I wouldn't disagree if someone called ASoIaF a gigantic horror story.

There's a shitload of horror in these books IMO.

The Others.

The Wights.

The Dragons.

The Stone Men.

The Wildfire.

Roose Bolton.

Ramsay Bolton.

Euron Greyjoy

Gregor Clegane.

Amory Lorch.

Vargo Hoat.

Rorge.

Biter.

Bastard's Boys.

The Mountain's Men

The Brave Companions

The warfare in general, and all disease, starvation and rapine that comes with it.

Archived