Orphan Black Take 2: Expect some differences from the Original

Sci-2

This season is very engaging so far, but this weekend's episode probably was my least favourite:

-Helena's escape attempt was great. Her and the scorpion are my favourite team this season. That last scene with that clone was impressive.

-Sarah & Mark found a lot of plot information that sets up the following episodes, but resolves very little at this point - Also Mark, twice shot - flip-flopped from "being almost dead" to "able to pursue Sarah for quite some distance then capture her". Not sure if the Castor clones possess superhuman durability, or Sarah isn't as strong as I thought she was. Lastly, that cliffhanger sucked ("Will our heroine be able to escape this lethal situation? Tune in next week!").

-Cosima & Felix are cute, but again, just some set up for a probably irrelevant side story.

-Speaking of which, as much as I enjoy Allison and Donnie being just them ("Sup bro?" "Did you just shush me?!"), their drug dealing plot feels incredibly tacked on, much like Allisons pill addiction story from S2.

-Gracie and the Prolethians are more engaging, and Prolethian psycho mum is bone-chilling. From cutesy singalong sessions to abandoning your daughter because she miscarried in less than three minutes.

I'm a bit confused as to who is/was pregnant with the Prolethian-baby. Helena? Gracie (well not anymore)? Somebody else? I thought it was just Helena?

I'm a bit confused as to who is/was pregnant with the Prolethian-baby. Helena? Gracie (well not anymore)? Somebody else? I thought it was just Helena?

Helena and Gracie both were. I'm assuming Gracie miscarried because she's not a clone, which is why Helena was important to them in S2.

But I agree that the plot is the weakest it has ever been. At this point there are too many similar plot elements, and it's hard to see why they're all there. Gracie's pregnant. Helena's pregnant. Helena's eggs are sitting in a crate somewhere. Sarah's daughter is special. There's a fuckton of factions and threads now (Proletheans, Dyad, Topside, Mother, Clone Club, Mark/Gracie, Mrs. S, Kira/Cal, Art). Everyone's looking for some sort of genetic source material, which has been in the hands of numerous tertiary characters that I can no longer keep track of, but who have apparently done some Really Important Things in the past that I need to understand in order to understand the current plot. The dr. Moreau book. The key to the encryption. The stuff in that farmer dude's crate.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that this is where OB is starting to get too cluttered to ever gain any kind of mainstream appeal. And, as others have mentioned, the humor so far is almost completely absent in this season. I loved this series all the way through S1 and most of S2, but not really anymore. They need to get their shit back together and reintroduce Vic.

There's only been one time when four clones were in the same room interacting.

Not asking for all four clones to interact at once, though. I'm asking for two to be in a room so we can watch Tat at her best. That's what makes the show shine--when it's one actress and two people and we can see via their interaction how different she makes the clones.

It's sad the writing has gotten so bad :(

Ok I might be critical but I don't agree that it's "so bad." It's still well written (just plot heavy) and wonderfully acted. There are other shows that have way worse writing. Plot heavy though it may be, it's still a great show with an interesting plot (if a lot of it)

I don't agree with any of that. The quality of the writing has not changed in any fundamental way. There's been a lot of humour, I guess you just missed it. Single characters like Art, Cal, Kira do not constitute a faction. You're really stretching there to absurdity. Topside is part of Dyad, not a separate faction. The plot has always been breathless and its what made the show different.

Not asking for all four clones to interact at once, though. I'm asking for two to be in a room so we can watch Tat at her best. That's what makes the show shine--when it's one actress and two people and we can see via their interaction how different she makes the clones.

Yes, and the first time they did that with 3 clones it took 17 hours to film. It's hard on the actress and clearly they want to save it for when it really matters. We got it in episode 1 this season so far. Do you insist of having it every episode?

Yes, and the first time they did that with 3 clones it took 17 hours to film. It's hard on the actress and clearly they want to save it for when it really matters. We got it in episode 1 this season so far. Do you insist of having it every episode?

No of course not. And I'm not *insisting on anything.* I'm just a viewer pointing out something I'd like to see more often because it's something that I enjoy and would like more of and because it's shows why OB is so great.

So, a bunch of clones go around having frequent unprotected sex, turning people ill with red eyes, and somehow it's not big news? This is the sort of thing that would likely end up on some medical radar somewhere. Every new episode further makes it seem ridiculous that the clone story hasn't become public knowledge.

That episode was amaaaaaaaaaazing! Honestly, best episode of the season thus far; it had pretty much everything I want out of an Orphan Black episode.

--God bless Tatiana Maslany.

--So much love for the Seestra reunion. My heart goes out to Helena--she finally thought she had a family and now believes that Sarah betrayed her.

--All week OB on Tumblr and Twitter have been teasing "butter" and when I saw why it was being used...LOL

--Lot of really funny lines this week from Helena and Felix

--Normally I can't stand the Prolethians, but Gracie made my heart squeeze tonight. Yeah, it's an odd story but the idea of a girl breaking out of her cloistered shell and finding new friends and new experiences was really heartwarming. Loved the dancing scene.

--Glad Mrs. S gets more to do.

--I didn't think I'd like the Cosmia/Shae stuff because it took away from Helena/Sarah, but it was really sweet. PLUS Lost Girl meets Orphan Black? Yes, please.

So, a bunch of clones go around having frequent unprotected sex, turning people ill with red eyes, and somehow it's not big news? This is the sort of thing that would likely end up on some medical radar somewhere. Every new episode further makes it seem ridiculous that the clone story hasn't become public knowledge.

Ok, I admit this is the big glaring error of this episode. I'm kind of willing to overlook it for the moment since the rest of episode was fab and I'm sure the Army is covering it all up but yeah...that's problematic. However, I'm intrigued!

^ Pretty much agree with everything you said. Definitely the best episode of the season imo, for all the reasons you gave.

I was really pissed at Helena for leaving Sarah, and then we had the scene on the top of the wall "my seestra, she tears my heart". :crying:

Next week looks crazy!

What the hell was Kira doing at the base? :O Has to be a dream. I hope.

^ Pretty much agree with everything you said. Definitely the best episode of the season imo, for all the reasons you gave.

I was really pissed at Helena for leaving Sarah, and then we had the scene on the top of the wall "my seestra, she tears my heart". :crying:

Next week looks crazy!

What the hell was Kira doing at the base? :o Has to be a dream. I hope.

Yes, same. I was angry at Helena, but I couldn't stay angry for long after that line.

Amazing episode this week!

-Sarah & Helena at the base: Best scenes of this season so far! I loved their dialogue, the acting, their plan and its execution. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but at the end, Helena jumps down back inside, doesn't she? Also, Paul may still have a conscience, judging from his last scenes.

-Gracie discovers alcohol and punk rock: Adorable.

-Cosima's experiences in online dating: Heartwarming, though she might be stalked by Delphine or one of her minions. Delphine might be petty enough to do that.

-Redeye STD: Well those log books sure will come in handy.

I found this episode really strong. I got the OB typical feeling of totally forgetting that half of the major roles are played by one actress while still being amazed by the great editing and the sheer amount of work (also but not only editing) involved.

The Castor Clone that got the more to do this episode is Milner, the leg-hurt one, but we still dont know him at all !

Rudy going on some free time cant end well and looking forward to see how Mark is gonna readapt to his people !

And Felix - Rachel next week !!!!

The Castor Clone that got the more to do this episode is Milner, the leg-hurt one, but we still dont know him at all !

Rudy going on some free time cant end well and looking forward to see how Mark is gonna readapt to his people !

And Felix - Rachel next week !!!!

I think it's Miller.

Archived