Orphan Black Take 2: Expect some differences from the Original

Sci-2

Well, it's only natural that the UK are behind the rest of the world on BBC productions...

:lol:

Anyway, I'm just going to wait impatiently and try desperately not to read the spoiler tags that have been posted already.

BBC America co-finances it, but it really is an all-Canadian production. It's by the same studio that made Lexx. It's distributed by BBC Worldwide.

I love recognizing all the Toronto locales. My favourite was when they were at that ghetto sleezy motel, and I was like "Hey, that's around the corner! .... wait a minute."

So with all the conspiracies, weirdness, and faction fighting, the thing I'm most excited for this season is

Alison's run for office. Utterly serious. I can't wait.

Thought the same thing immediately when she announced her candidacy. If ever there was a justified spin-off ...

I just hope OB's addition of male clones doesn't take over from the 100% female focus of Orphan Black. That aspect of this series is brilliant. So are other aspects, but this focus on the vast variety of women in the world, and yet whoever and whatever the woman is, she's reduced to her female body, which is expected to be used and exploited for the benefit of others including governments, corporations and religions without any interest in women as human beings and people, much less their well-being. We haven't see this on television before.

And then! Show makes all this sometimes even fun (thank you Alison and Fe), always entertaining, suspenseful, interesting and smart.

Thus with the crazy proliferation of Big Bad corporate, government and religious entities chasing Our Ladies of Perpetual Peril it doesn't seem as if we also need more clones, particularly male ones.

I'm afraid of everything getting away from the writers' vision and turning into endless looping non-ending mush. I stop watching many a promising series when that happens.

I'm still kind of fuzzy on who Paul actually is.... all of a sudden he showed up in a full military uniform.... working with the male clones... I'm sure I just missed something.

Paul was retconned as hell. It was absolutely clear in S1 that he was just an unknowing monitor who was blackmailed because of a traumatic past. No hint of anything else. Then in S2 Tony showed up with that "Paul's a Ghost" message near the end.

Now, I can understand why the showrunners want excellent secondary characters like Vic to stick around, come hell or high water. But considering what a douche Dylan Bruce seems to be IRL, I have no idea why they'd want to write Paul even deeper into the story.

Paul was retconned as hell. It was absolutely clear in S1 that he was just an unknowing monitor who was blackmailed because of a traumatic past. No hint of anything else. Then in S2 Tony showed up with that "Paul's a Ghost" message near the end.

Now, I can understand why the showrunners want excellent secondary characters like Vic to stick around, come hell or high water. But considering what a douche Dylan Bruce seems to be IRL, I have no idea why they'd want to write Paul even deeper into the story.

What has Bruce done in real life?

I'd say so far Ari Millen playing clones feels like all the same guy. The contrast in skill compared with Tatiana Maslany is subtle, but vast. Hopefully he sells it better in later episodes. On the other hand, perhaps the Castor clones are not written to have much detectable difference from each other.

They apparently wanted to use somebody who was already part of the cast for the male clones. Given the limited options I think he was the best choice. At least it's not Paul.

What has Bruce done in real life?

Nothing criminal. But every panel debate I've seen with the cast, he is a cringeworthy jackass who keeps interrupting his (much more important) castmates, making inappropriate jokes and taking over the event. It doesn't sound so bad until you realize that he does it every time.

From here, it was the most watched episode for Orphan Black, unsurprisingly. Seems like it doubled in numbers, to 1.3 million across the five channels. Best live viewership totals too. DVR number should bring that up considerably -- last season DVR were equal to the live numbers.

Archived