Video Games: Free 2 Post/Summer Drought Edition

KiDisaster

"We missed you!

Today we got a look at the third trailer for the witcher 3 wild hunt. We hope you liked it!

There's much more to the game that it's just impossible to show everything within two and a half minutes.

Most importantly, we showed you a preview of our main characters:

Geralt's close friends and some of the last witchers remaining in the world. Vesemir, Eskel, and Lambert will play a big part in the game, as well as their famous fortress, Kaer Morhen.

You also got a glimpse of the renowned bard Dandelion and the sorceress, Triss Merigold.

Emhyr Var Emhyreis, Emperor of Nilfgaard, the most powerful man in the world of the Witcher also made an appearance. Recognise his voice?

And then there was Ciri!

And Yennefer!

By the way, if you're new to the series, don't worry, the game will provide you all the information you need to know, and you'll start loving (and battling) characters in no time!

Also you've been asking many questions about gameplay features and we're finally ready to answer some of them:

Yes, you will be able to fight on horseback.

The crossbow. Yup, Geralt has a ranged weapon. Because monsters fly and you can't stab them.

Remember swimming and sailing? You'll be able to dive and search for a lot of hidden stuff too. There's a whole underwater world to discover.

Horse racing anyone?

You also got to hear more music from the game. This particular track was composed by Marcin Przybyłowicz. We'd love to hear your feedback on our forums, facebook, or twitter etc.

P.S. If you still waiting for more, please be patient, we're just warming up!"

I could have sworn I saw horse racing in the trailer. I suppose racing is just one of those things you have to do in open world games but fuck it it'll be another way to make money that'll be easier than the gambling - the rules of which I skipped through when they explained it and I lost a shitton of money on

Fighting on horseback confirmed.

Damn this might just be the best game ever.

lol, I just realized there is a shot of triss and yennefer and geralt together on a boat. awkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

Fighting on horseback confirmed.

Damn this might just be the best game ever.

lol, I just realized there is a shot of triss and yennefer and geralt together on a boat. awkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

and what about that creeper in the mask behind them...

I guess this shot is after Yenn/Triss bitchslap fest which is bound to occur.

Not a fan of Yenn's face and hair though.

My body is ready for The Witcher 3. If they nail this, The Witcher saga will become my favourite gaming trilogy of all time.

Speaking of which, I should probably upgrade my machine before that... I could play TW2 max (except uber sampling) at 30-40 FPS but I'l be lucky if I can play this at a steady framerate on medium.

I have The Witcher 1 and 2 and I've tried them both and they are perfectly adequate but I just don't feel the urge to go back and continue them. I think I'll skip 3.

I know I've said it before but, I really wish The Witcher series had a different main character. I have zero interest in Geralt, and that's prevented me from ever finishing the second game. This trailer looks really good, but its because of that that I'll probably skip the game.

The Witcher 3 is finally going to get me to get off my arse and build a better PC, I guess.

Heh, just checked GOG and you even get a price reduction for the pre-order if you own (one of) the first two games. I really like this company.

I have The Witcher 1 and 2 and I've tried them both and they are perfectly adequate but I just don't feel the urge to go back and continue them. I think I'll skip 3.

I know I've said it before but, I really wish The Witcher series had a different main character. I have zero interest in Geralt, and that's prevented me from ever finishing the second game. This trailer looks really good, but its because of that that I'll probably skip the game.

You guys are both entitled to your opinions, much as I disagree. I can fully understand not liking a widely loved game series, I get odd looks/anger when I say "meh" to the dark souls series. Maybe you guys will enjoy cyberpunk a bit more? Whole different series but same devs, it should be awesome when it finally comes out.(probably mid 2016 at the earliest)

Someone gave me Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 as gifts. I love RPGs, especially ones like Dragon Age: Origins, KOTOR, some FF, etc. You think I'd like?

Story-wise, I think The Witcher series is a lot better than any of those games. Guess that's all subjective, but you should definitely give a try.

I must be one of the few that actually enjoyed the combat in The Witcher games, I enjoyed it more than any TES game, in fact the only RPGs I can think of with better combat is Demon/Dark Souls(II) and maybe Dragon Age Orgins.

I never played any of the Witcher games. Since I don't have a PC that would even support Solitaire, do you all think if I hopped into W2 (Ps3/360), that I would be confused as to what's going on?

I must be one of the few that actually enjoyed the combat in The Witcher games, I enjoyed it more than any TES game.

Really though combat has never been the strong point of the Elder Scrolls games, and I love those games. I wasn't crazy about The Witcher combat either but it was definitely better than Elder Scrolls combat.

I never played any of the Witcher games. Since I don't have a PC that would even support Solitaire, do you all think if I hopped into W2 (Ps3/360), that I would be confused as to what's going on?

No. I played W2 before W1 and had no problems. If anything just read a summary of the first game's plot on Wikipedia and you'll be good to go.

tldr: Witchers are monster hunters that are kind of basically mutants. You're a Witcher. You have amnesia from when you got stabbed through the chest, possibly fatally (depending on who you ask) with a pitchfork some time ago (before W1). The following is W1 spoilers, told as necessary for understanding W2:

Someone stole Witcher secrets. You got them back and in the process destroyed a religious order, stopped a country from being destroyed, and saved king Foltest from being assassinated by another witcher. You were hired on by him subsequently, and start W2 in his employ. Also, there's this thing called the Wild Hunt which is basically spectral elves that kidnap people. You confronted their leader. Most people really don't know what, or who, the Hunt is.

The rest can easily, easily be found in the books in the game itself, especially info on the Hunt.

Oh, Triss is your mage lover, Dandelion is one of your best friends and a bard, and Zoltan is your dwarf bro. Should about cover it, as far as the games go. There are a lot of references to the book that I missed my first time through since I never read them, except a short story collection, that apparently are made, but they aren't important for the game.

I loved Witcher 2, but the Skyrimification of the third still has me skeptical. I thought the hub world structure of Witcher 2 provided just enough openness. Wait and see for me; I hope they can pull it off.

Yeah, I wonder if they will able to deal with it. Open space and good story based RPGs don't fit together. And I wonder about the horseback fighting too. I'm shocked no game since Mount&Blade was able to pull it off.

ET: Ciri looks quite old, and Geralt with beard over 50 (well he is over 50, but shouldn't look like that) .

Archived