Say you wake up tomorrow in Westeros....

Dead

I go to Braavos and use my skills to be a great merchant using my modern understanding of maths and capitalism, then I borrow from the Iron Bank and go to the North and build a port the near Karshold and build a big merchant navy with big ships that has been know to planetos and become lord of that port. Then with the profits I create my own bank and university (they make money as well), cause the merchant middle class pays for knowledge.

I'd probably break my glasses... and be fucked. (Not the good kind!)

Hah. I totally forgot for my fantasy that I wear glasses. And that I have panic/anxiety disorder. So I probably would have a panic attack and be killed because someone thinks I'm either insane or dying of heart problems

Step 1: "Hey Mace, lovely land you got here. You are most fortunate for I am a wizard, trained in the dark arts of irrigation. What if I told you I could double, no triple all your harvests...forever."

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Profit, brunettes, and peaches

They might already have irrigation down

I would become a street thug, and if i manage to not get shanked by someone I would eventually graduate to being a professional killer in service with some lord or other(a man at arms). I would be livin the good life with tons of cash and alcohol and wimenz to please me.

If bronn can do it i should be ok, i could kick that guys ass I bet.

You wouldn't run straight to your leader? :huh:

The Fresh PtwP, on 18 Jun 2014 - 3:00 PM, said:

Step 1: "Hey Mace, lovely land you got here. You are most fortunate for I am a wizard, trained in the dark arts of irrigation. What if I told you I could double, no triple all your harvests...forever."

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Profit, brunettes, and peaches

this. *tips hat*

I'd invent artillery and join with whichever warring faction thinks it might be helpful to be able to bring down castle walls from a mile away.

That's just to get through the first year, though. Give me a foothold and I'd invent fractional reserve banking, then buy my way into the Iron Bank, turn it into a venture capital fund, and start hiring people to mine copper, tungsten, and oil and show them how to generate and transmit electricity.

Go find Varys and shake that man's hand...then ask him what his endgame is. He wouldn't give me a straight answer, but it's a question that needs asking!

No but seriously

Assuming you mean that it is literally me, myself who is waking up there then I would be useless with a sword. I'd probably die very quickly if I didn't have any money. Say I had 20 silvers and 10 gold dragons. I'd give them 10 silvers to stay at the inn for a while, as I wouldn't know what else to do. Then that night a small band of outlaws and broken men raid the inn. Most of the people at the inn die pretty quickly, but a few have taken up arms and fight them off. All this time I'm hiding in the closet in my room whimpering. The only survivor is a particularly skilled sellsword. He is travelling along the Red Fork and the Trident to Maidenpool, and seems as slimy as a sell sword can be, but simple, and poor. I offer him two gold dragons to get me to Maidenpool. He willingly accepts (after biting the coins first), and we ride for a fortnight, mercifully spared the wrath of outlaws. At Maidenpool I say farewell to this unpleasant man and find a ship. One ship - the Maiden's Sweet Sweet Ass - is going to Braavos, and the friendly captain accepts three gold dragons for the passage. Before the transaction is completed however, horns sound, and a great uproar is heard. Then a flank of cavalry baring black banners emblazoned with a red dragon with three heads storm the town. A teenager with purple eyes and silver hair leads them. His swordsmen quickly overcome the swords of House Mooton, and the Targaryens take over the castle and Lord William Mooton surrenders and declares for King Aegon sixth of his name of the House Targaryen, king of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms. The king leaves, and I go and work as a servant in Lord Mooton's castle. I keep warning people about the Others, but they all laugh. A few months later, word quickly travels that the wall has collapsed and that the Others are invading the North, and raising the dead as their servants. Soon darkness falls. An endless night. I have a brief and glib I told you so moment, and then realise what's actually happening and literally shit in my pants. Soon, the petty wars and grudges of the seven kingdoms fade away as everyone panics about the Long Night. The populations begin to migrate as far south as possible, and to the coasts. But the cold winds are savage, and people begin to freeze to death. I have the warmth of Lord Mooton's hearths but rumour spreads that Mooton is slowly culling his servants to prolong the winter food stores. I am trapped in a castle where I will eventually be killed, unable to escape because I will freeze outside. And the Others are approaching. I finally realise that I am trapped in GRRM's world, and I am under his cruel dominion now. Soon it is so cold Mooton's fires shrivel and die, and a sickening cold takes us all. And I remember Old Nan's story of the Long Night, and remember those lords freezing in their castles. And I shiver. And die. When I stand up again, my eyes blaze blue.

Or at least I hope that's what would happen to me if I ended up in the Winds of Winter by George RR Martin. Because I want the Others to happen now. I can't wait any longer! XD

bravo.

Euclidean geometry is right whether or not it applies to Westeros. All the identities and theorems in Euclidean geometry are math statements. Whether or not it can be adequately used to describe Westeros is more of a physics statement, and that's something that we would need to demonstrate empirically. If it's as with our world, it would just be a good constant gravity approximation for a small enough scale compared to the rate of change of the gravitational field. But even if we lived very near a Black Hole, where Euclidean geometry would be a terrible model on our human scale, the theory on its own would still be completely correct, even if it wouldn't be very useful to us.

Isn't it great where a simple question can take us?

From "What if you woke up in Westeros?" to a discussion of Planetosi physics.

Assuming I am exactly as I am now I would be pretty screwed. There is one huge assumption that would vastly change how I would act. Do i speak westerosi???

Step one (optional) - If I don't I would pretend to be a simpleton but through very crude charades would volunteer to do labor for a bed and meals, given my size and the fact that I am far more well fed than most medieval folk I think I would be strong enough to do most kind of work like that and I would do his until I have a good enough grasp on the language to proceed. I would try to be as unobtrusive as possible until I can do so.

Step two - once i can communicate with people I would go to the most powerful person I could find and volunteer my services, tell him I know more of medicine etc than any maester (basic first aid lol) and that I could do great things for him. Once I have built up a decent amount of cash and had a better understanding of the politics of westeros I would seek out a lord who is largely independent but also rich as hell and I would attempt to build some modern technologies for him. The big problem is that just because I know that guns and stuff are possible does not know I know how to make one and even if i did i would need modern materials to do so. I would probably start off with things like cannons and lights.

step three- once I have managed to recreate stuff I would go to kings landing throw a flash bomb into the throne roon shoot tomen in the head and dare anyone to come at me, i would then sit on the iron throne and tell everyone to stop being retarded and get our asses up to the wall where we would fire a load of cannons at the white walkers and they would be like wtf. Any that got close we would use flamethrowers on. I would then set up an election for the iron throne, replace the iron throne with a more comfortable throne and retire to teach at the first ever public school in westeros. I mean c'mon these guys have been stuck in the dark ages for faaaar too long. Imagine if they had progressed at a similar rate the we did in our universe, when the white wakers come knocking again we would have tanks military drones and machine guns.

I would buy a horse and a sword, and ride as fast and direct to the coast as I can. When I get there I'd buy passage across the Narrow Sea and live it up in Braavos, bangin' whores and gettin' drunk all day #yoloswagbraavos

I know nothing about science and I dont know a thing about math. So my modern knowledge would be useless. I am a law student in Norway, I cant imagine that anyone would be interested in that kind of knowledge. I am not a strong guy, so I would probably get my assed kicked by anyone.. I also got a temper, and like I said, nothing to back it up with, so I would probably get killed pretty quickly.

But I would try to get to a town and work as a writer or a poet (just writing things I remember reading myself). Or I would go to Daenerys and tell her all the stuff she saw at the house of the undying and all her secrets etc (knowledge which we have obtained reading the books). She would be like "WTF", and I would say that the gods have sent me to protect her (or something like that). I would then try and help her the best that I could. If she takes the throne she would probably reward me somehow, and I would live out my life a rich man.

Archived