College Basketball - Season Kick-off and Larry Brown Maths Edition

Ded As Ned

Tonight though... tonight is must watch TV for any college bball fan. Blue Devils at Scahnsin. This will be one of the few times that I cheer for Duke since I really want those three wayward first place votes. :lol:

You realize that Duke is now going to pick up some of UK's #1 votes, right? :P

You realize that Duke is now going to pick up some of UK's #1 votes, right? :P

Between now and the next poll Kentucky will beat another top ten team from the Big XII by thirty and we'll get them all.

;)

Damn, I don't know if I've ever heard a basketball arena as quiet as the TCU-OleMiss game right now. TCU player had a bad fall, wasn't moving at all, and the expression about hearing a pin drop is bandied about often, but 100% true in this case. Crazy. Got up and walked out under his own power. When they replayed it you could see he took an elbow to the face from his own teammate, and I think that literally knocked him out.

Damn, I don't know if I've ever heard a basketball arena as quiet as the TCU-OleMiss game right now. TCU player had a bad fall, wasn't moving at all, and the expression about hearing a pin drop is bandied about often, but 100% true in this case. Crazy. Got up and walked out under his own power. When they replayed it you could see he took an elbow to the face from his own teammate, and I think that literally knocked him out.

Yeah, I seriously feared for that young man for a minute there. So glad he was able to get up and walk out.

Big XII is showing out incredibly well early season. That league is going to be a bloodbath, with K-State looking like the only potentially really bad team.

Currently 59-10 overall :eek:

I'll be disappointed if we don't go 8-2 in the "challenge." And you misspelled Texas Tech.

Between now and the next poll Kentucky will beat another top ten team from the Big XII by thirty and we'll get them all.

;)

Oh, yeah? I can't say that Texas should be favored against Calipari's latest batch of one-and-done'ers, but the 'Horns are actually a team (more or less) and should keep it close.

I saw something the other day about UK having a player who had been there more than one year: Quel Horror!

Meanwhile, the Texas Women beat then #1 Stanford in overtime, and then #4 Tennessee more comfortably. For the first time in years I am hopeful that they can make the final four (last appearance in 2003), especially since the team has been doing this without its regular center who is recovering from an injury.

Last night I had some errands to run after work so I recorded the LSU @ WVU game on DVR. I got home when the game was near the end in real time and started to watch the recording from the beginning.

Five minutes into watching the game I get a one word text from my dad: "choke"

:lol:

Sucks that WVU lost, but I really need to give my dad a heads up about spoilers the next time I record a game. Once I knew they were going to lose it was no longer something fun to watch.

Another article about Shaka Smart but the one big takeaway here was why he stays at VCU. And I totally respect it.

"My coach left for a new job after my freshman year, and I remember just crying for like three days," Smart said. "I was 19 and lost because this guy, my father figure, just left. And, honestly, that's one of the reasons I've stayed at VCU. It factors into my mind. It really does. What happened to me is a factor."

Upon telling me this, Smart glanced at VCU's practice court.

Some players were getting up extra shots.

"Like that kid right there … that was me," Smart said while pointing at one of his nine players who was raised without a father. "That kid is here because of me just like I was at Kenyon because of my coach. So I know what it's like for a coach who is your father figure to leave, and I understand, maybe better than most, how me leaving will affect more than just me and my family. So when I get asked that question -- 'Why do you stay at VCU? -- and I get asked that question all the time, the school-pride answer is that this is the place to be, that we really, really like it here, that we've been to a Final Four, that we're building this great practice facility, that the program is on the rise. And that's all true. But, in addition to that, there is also what happened to me in my experience as a player. I cried for three days and felt lost. I still remember what it was like when my coach left."

The article makes it clear that none of this means he'll stay forever, but Smart was a son who was left by his father and a player who was left by his coach and with 9 players on his current roster who don't have fathers, his current recruiting successes and the investment VCU is putting into the program, Smart doesn't seem like a guy who's looking to leave any time soon unless that dream job comes along.

Kentucky spread is 13...I'm buying the hype. Don't let me down Rhom.

ETA: Texas destroying Kentucky on the boards to keep it close. Neither team can buy a bucket. Uconn losing to fucking Yale at the half, their offense is just brutal right now.

Archived