Videogames: Your Absurd Character Demands Cannot Be Met

Sivin

If something is big enough that it's expected to attract a ton of discussion (e.g., Dark Souls) we give them their own threads; otherwise we consolidate in here.

Hmm. Was Dark Souls that big? Would Halo fit that criteria? There's a lot of new stuff being announced

Yeah you'll just have to use your best judgment. If you're wrong it's not the end of the world. Personally I kind of suspect that in 2014 a new Halo game will not be nearly as big as it would have been once, but I've been wrong before.

Yeah you'll just have to use your best judgment. If you're wrong it's not the end of the world. Personally I kind of suspect that in 2014 a new Halo game will not be nearly as big as it would have been once, but I've been wrong before.

Yeah, since around Halo 2 released I've been hugely into the story and lore, especially in the post-Bungie period. It's my biggest nerd interest beside ASOIAF, but it does seem the gaming community has largely moved on

Yeah, since around Halo 2 released I've been hugely into the story and lore, especially in the post-Bungie period. It's my biggest nerd interest beside ASOIAF, but it does seem the gaming community has largely moved on

Yeah as soon as the fiction, and games in general in my opinion, started to go up in quality, the interest seemed to dip. I'm hoping with The Master Chief Collection interest comes back.

There's just so many facets to the games now that it's ridiculous. With the Greg Bear and Karen Traviss trilogies, the upcoming book, and Halo 4 itself, I really don't get how the interest is so relatively low.

This guy writes about it much better than I ever could-

https://haruspis.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/halo-4-level-by-level-analysis-prologue/#more-3314

I only played Halo 1 & 2 but the lore seemed interesting. I especially liked the Arbiter's side of the story and the inner workings of the Covenent. It was cool seeing the civil war break out and seeing which groups sided with who. Of course the fucking Jackals turned out to be traitorous assholes. I liked the backgrounds of each of the alien races and their rankings and all that stuff within the Covenent army.

I got a 3DS! After using the PSP for a while and having sold my DS Lite in 2010, I'd forgotten how much better designed these are as portable systems than Sony's offerings. Sony's whole idea of console-quality experiences in a mobile platform is a pretty broken one, since you don't normally use a portable device for hours on end.

The games I got for it are: Mario 3D Land (amazing), Pilotwings Resort (not as good as Pilotwings 64, which I really liked), Radiant Historia (not tried yet, will have to wait until I have several hours to get my jrpg on), and Pushmo (a fun diversion). I have Zelda coming in the mail on Monday. I enjoy the modern Zeldas, though I think they've become too repetitive and formulaic. I'm interested to see if I like the shakeup from this one. I don't have a bunch of Link to the Past nostalgia to carry it (I played like halfway through Link to the Past once on an emulator about 10 years ago, that's my only experience with that game).

I don't have a bunch of Link to the Past nostalgia to carry it (I played like halfway through Link to the Past once on an emulator about 10 years ago, that's my only experience with that game).

Man, what happened to you? You used to be cool.

Did you play Ocarina of Time at least?

Oh yeah. Great game. Fuck if I'm going to pay $40 to play it again on my 3DS though.

If they ported Blast Corps though, I might be a big enough sucker to buy it. It would have to be something like $10 though. Maybe a virtual console game.

I decided to plump for Divinity: Original Sin as the next game I play after Sleeping Dogs. This starter guide from Kotaku seems pretty useful. Basically, get someone who can talk to the animals: people with the ability can talk to every animal in the game, even background scenery cows, and sometimes get extra quests from them(!). Also, picking up a shovel at the start of the game is vitally important as a lot of loot is buried and shovels are, bizarrely, thin on the ground.

This Kotaku preview is also highly entertaining, particularly as the reviewer has named his two primary characters Locke and Sabetha in a Scott Lynch tribute. The game takes a lot of its inspiration from Ultima VII in its reactivity and how it encourages you to freestyle and do things your way rather than the game's. Though this can also go horribly wrong, as RPS reports when they tried to lure some orcs into a town so the guard could take care of them:

Turns out the guards aren't quite ready to face a mob of orcs and we had to lead them through the town, massacring as they went, to the barracks, where the final surviving guard managed to kill the last of them. It was a bloody disaster and a member of (developer) Larian's team, watching over our shoulders, whistled through his teeth: "Nobody has ever done that before."

RPS's review is highly encouraging. Other reviews have gone further, calling it the best Western RPG in a decade, and remarkable coming from a team whose previous games didn't get anywhere as much of a good reaction (this is the fourth game in the Divinity universe, but is a prequel to all the others so no foreknowledge is required).

Oh yeah, and remember that blood conducts electricity.

I've been meaning to try that one again. I played that when it first released, and quit halfway through. I kind of regret that decision since it's not on the Playstation Store for download (to my knowledge at least).

I though Final Fantasy V was the most under-rated FF in the series. I LOVED the Jobs System, and the story was pretty decent as well.

Is anyone else watching The International for Dota?

It's been great so far. So much heartbreak for my two favourites, hundreds of thousands literally hanging on one Black Hole or Doom.

Fnatic beat both of last years finalists but lose a bunch of other games and go out early..along with alliance :( I don't even know who to go for now!

Epic play off match yesterday between mouzesports and LGD Gaming, both sides trying to throw lol.

Fnatic beat both of last years finalists but lose a bunch of other games and go out early..along with alliance :( I don't even know who to go for now!

Epic play off match yesterday between mouzesports and LGD Gaming, both sides trying to throw lol.

I will have to watch that one. I have been peeking at them here and there.

I will have to watch that one. I have been peeking at them here and there.

I put it on expecting a normal game and said "I'll cook dinner once this is over"... Over an hour and a half later I was feeling a little guilty!

As always I'll be rooting for my boys in Na'Vi. I haven't been following it so far though, too hooked on World Cup. With that being over with I can now turn my attention back to e-sports for a while.

Archived