A Tale Of Two Swords. . .And Two Heads

Blackfyre, the famous Valyrian steel blade of Aegon, first of his name, the sword that divided house Targaryen. . .and Westeros. We are told it was taken to the free cities when Bittersteel fled into exile and formed the Golden Company.

Its sister Valyrian blade that was wielded by Visenya Targaryen, Dark Sister, was last possessed by Brynden Rivers (a.k.a. Bloodraven) who joined the Night's Watch along with Maester Aemon Targaryen.

So why isn't young 'Aegon VI' armed with the famous blade Blackfyre? Does the Golden Company still have possession of it? If so, I would think Jon Connington would insist. That sword would bring more banners to their cause and in a way authenticate their claim. So I don't understand this, unless the GRRM has different plans for the sword. If Aegon possessed Blackfyre, I would assume he was one of the “three heads”, but as of now he doesn't have the blade and I'm of the mass opinion that Aegon is a pretender, could be wrong. I believe Gerold Dayne possesses the blade. Some believe HE is the true Aegon, but that’s not possible b/c of his age. Still, house Martell/Dorne is one of the strongest players left in the game of thrones, and Gerold Dayne is a very important piece (we need a whole different thread to explore the history and role of Gerold and house Dayne), maybe head #2, Danny being head #1. The back-story of the marriage of Dorne to the dragons, Prince Maron Martell's marriage to the 1st Daenerys Targaryen, is important here.

Many theorize Coldhands (Bloodravens warg-wright) has Dark Sister. This theory assumes Brynden Rivers was allowed keep the blade when he was imprisoned, or it was returned to him as he left for the wall. It kinda makes sense in a way. . .Valyrian or Dragon steel kills the others. Regardless, Dark Sister is in the north hidden at the wall or wielded by a possessed wright. It seems kinda obvious that Jon will end up w/Dark Sister somehow. Jon was, after all, born to be one of the “three heads”, head #3.

I think in an earlier draft of aDwD IIIyrio mentions some sword to Haldon and Duck, but I've heard Martin removed that bit in the fnished version because it could be a big hint of Aegon being a Blackfyre

Because that's the thing: if Aegon shows up with that sword people are most likely to think he's a Blackfyre than a Targaryen

Dark Sister, however, could legitimize someone as a Targ, which is why I agree that Jon might get it. And it also would be ironic considering that Rhaegar would have likely named Jon Visenya had he been a girl, and she was the original bearer of Dark Sister

I've seen some suggest that Blackfyre is with the supplies Illyrio gives to JonCon. In TMK, when Daemon II tries to press his claim he is not taken seriously because he doesn't have "the sword". So I think that Aegon will end up with Blackfyre.

I think in an earlier draft of aDwD IIIyrio mentions some sword to Haldon and Duck, but I've heard Martin removed that bit in the fnished version because it could be a big hint of Aegon being a Blackfyre

Because that's the thing: if Aegon shows up with that sword people are most likely to think he's a Blackfyre than a Targaryen

Dark Sister, however, could legitimize someone as a Targ, which is why I agree that Jon might get it. And it also would be ironic considering that Rhaegar would have likely named Jon Visenya had he been a girl, and she was the original bearer of Dark Sister

Which is a shame since it's the ancestral sword of Rhaegar's son as well. Blackfyre belonged to Aegon the Conqueror. Daemon had to go and mess things up, didn't he? I see no reason that someone couldn't have recovered the sword and given it to its rightful owner, the true king of Westeros, Aegon Targaryen, sixth of his name. But I'm sure a lot of characters would disagree with me.

Dark Sister is more of wild card to me in this. There are hunches that the chest or crate (or whatever it was) that Illyrio sent to Aegon has Blackfyre. But no one knows where Dark Sister is. Up north of the Wall somewhere undoubtedly, unless one of Mance's visit's to Winterfell included an assignment to hide it there.

.Valyrian or Dragon steel kills the others. Regardless,

There's no evidence that Valyrian steel was around during the Long Night (Valyria didn't exist then) and there have been no Others around since, so Valyrian steel killing Others is pure conjecture. As to Dragonsteel, only one such sword has been mentioned, and that may be Dawn.

I think the GC has it.

It seems like a standard PR stunt to me. Why give him the sword now when he hasn't really done anything they'll most likely:

Present Blackfyre to Aegon at SE. Could you imagine the hype. The young handsome prince took the un-takeable castle and is given one of the most epic swords in the realm. The visions said there would be cheers...

There's no evidence that Valyrian steel was around during the Long Night (Valyria didn't exist then) and there have been no Others around since, so Valyrian steel killing Others is pure conjecture. As to Dragonsteel, only one such sword has been mentioned, and that may be Dawn.

Sam reads something to Jon about the Others could not withstand "dragonsteel" and obsidian. They assumed dragonsteel = Valyrian steel.

Saying that Lightbringer is Dawn is just as much conjecture as saying Valyrian steal is dragonsteal, more so when you consider that its made with dragonfire.

Blackfyre was a symbol of Targaryens but it's not anymore. Pretty much like the swastika now means something different to what once represented. If I use a swastika, very few will associate it to Hinduism or Buddhism but to Nazis.

Despite Jorah's accurate statement on how the small folk don't care about the game of thrones, they do remember. In the books, there are many examples of them showing preference for certain regimes and reminding the former Targaryen kings and their names. I wouldn't be surprised if some remember that Aegon the Unworthy gave his bastard son Blackfyre and that started a war. People already doubt Aegon is real, having Blackfyre with him wouldn't help him as much as people think, specially if he comes with the Golden Company. Descendants of the Blackfyre line have tried to return to Westeros to claim the throne, how can they be sure that Aegon isn't one of them once again and they're doing exactly what many have theorised here, that they're simply trying to pass a Blackfyre for a Targaryen?

Which is a shame since it's the ancestral sword of Rhaegar's son as well. Blackfyre belonged to Aegon the Conqueror. Daemon had to go and mess things up, didn't he? I see no reason that someone couldn't have recovered the sword and given it to its rightful owner, the true king of Westeros, Aegon Targaryen, sixth of his name. But I'm sure a lot of characters would disagree with me.

If it was just the sword, then yes, that's not a big enough reason to believe he's fake or a Blackfyre. Just a Targ recovering a lost family heirloom, no big deal.

But it's the sword + the Golden Company + a seemingly dead boy coming back to life = people are going to have some doubts

Sam reads something to Jon about the Others could not withstand "dragonsteel" and obsidian. They assumed dragonsteel = Valyrian steel.

Assumed is the key word. They could be totally wrong.

Dragonsteel could be weapons made out of dragon bone. It's as strong as steel, more flexible, and is impervious to fire.

If it was just the sword, then yes, that's not a big enough reason to believe he's fake or a Blackfyre. Just a Targ recovering a lost family heirloom, no big deal.

But it's the sword + the Golden Company + a seemingly dead boy coming back to life = people are going to have some doubts

Yes, I know that. I just think it's kind of sad that Aegon I's sword is now associated with rebellion and succession squabbles that divided a nation and caused so much heartbreak for so many.

I like the idea that the GC gives it to him after he's won the throne. That way it would be seen as the Blackfyre claim finally throwing in the towel, in a way. That's a good one, Ser Greg of House House.

I think they would give Blackfyre to Aegon after a string of victories, and his followers are too caught up in the moment to remember who the last holders of Blackfyre were. Also, everyone thinks the Blackfyres are long dead.

I think Dark Sister is with BR, and Aegon V allowed him to bring it to the Wall.

I see a pattern with Dark Sister and Blackfyre.

In the wars between Maegor and Aenys's heirs, Maegor had Blackfyre while Jaehaerys's side (the rightful claimants) had Dark Sister.

In TPaTQ, Aegon II had Blackfyre while Daemon, who was married to Viserys's chosen heir and the rightful king by his marriage to her, wielded Dark Sister. In the Blackfyre Rebellion, Daemon wielded the sword from which he took his name while BR, who fought on the side of the rightful king Daeron II, wielded Dark Sister.

I think I am seeing a pattern. The rightful heirs wield Dark Sister while the rebels/usurpers wield Blackfyre. FAegon will no doubt get Blackfyre while Dark Sister may likely be with BR in the CotF cave near the Wall, and may find it's way to Jon. Perhaps, a hint that Jon is the rightful heir while Aegon is a usurper?

The Golden Company is already with him, they could simply say that they decided to help Aegon as he is of Targaryen blood enough to warrant their return to Westeros and bestow Blackfyre on him for it. It would be convincing enough. I think Darksister will be weilded by Bran or Bran through a warged Hodor as I think Bloodraven still has it if it was not outright taken from him by Meakar I when he imprisoned him. in that case, it may be still at the Red Keep lost in some vault

The Golden Company is already with him, they could simply say that they decided to help Aegon as he is of Targaryen blood enough to warrant their return to Westeros and bestow Blackfyre on him for it. It would be convincing enough. I think Darksister will be weilded by Bran or Bran through a warged Hodor as I think Bloodraven still has it if it was not outright taken from him by Meakar I when he imprisoned him. in that case, it may be still at the Red Keep lost in some vault

Or, Bloodraven could make sure that Bran or Hodor gives Dark Sister to another of Rhaegar's sons.

He did not remove that completely.

“There is a gift for the boy in one of the chests. Some candied ginger. He was always fond of it.”

“Time to raise some bruises. Swords today, I think.”

“Swords?” Young Griff grinned. “Swords will be sweet.”

Archived