Watch, Watched, Watching: You've probably never heard of it.

I'm also inclined to give Downtown Abby a chance. Someone here said about all the shows that came before DA about the downstairs/upstairs dynamic, which brings me to Gosford Park. I love that film, and I love any Altman's in general. Finally, this brings me to one very good (great IMO) Altman film called Shortcuts. Well, the name of this topic is why I talking about this piece of art. I think it deserves to be seen and strangely didn't have any recognition anywhere. It's not a film for everyone, but is quite different and poetic of others in the Hyperlink genre. If you guys like PTA or at least Magnolia, you should give it a chance.

Has anyone seen Black Sails on Starz? Worth watching?

It's surprisingly boring for a show about fucking pirates. Crossbones definitely has more action, but I have two episodes of that waiting on my dvr that I am not compelled to watch at the moment.

Yes! Another recruit. Sunny is probably my second favorite comedy series.

You're doing yourself an injustice by skipping season 1 though. Its the most basic(budget wise) but its one of the strongest of all the seasons.

I love season 1, and that pilot! So awesome.

Easily my favorite comedy on tv. Which is amazing after nine freaking seasons (shortening the past few to ten episodes really has kept the quality high). Four/five (Frank's best when he pops in and out of a scene, imo) completely narcissistic "friends" makes for perfect television.

I'm also inclined to give Downtown Abby a chance.

It's a soap opera with a British accent. I'm baffled that it keeps getting nominated for awards... but then again, there is that accent.

Just went to see the new movie, Lucy. I'm sure the story will get less than great reviews, but I enjoyed it. Really cool visuals and short run-time of 90 minutes, so it keeps things moving. Two thumbs up if you're looking for pure entertainment. :cheers:

I'm also inclined to give Downtown Abby a chance. Someone here said about all the shows that came before DA about the downstairs/upstairs dynamic, which brings me to Gosford Park. I love that film, and I love any Altman's in general. Finally, this brings me to one very good (great IMO) Altman film called Shortcuts. Well, the name of this topic is why I talking about this piece of art. I think it deserves to be seen and strangely didn't have any recognition anywhere. It's not a film for everyone, but is quite different and poetic of others in the Hyperlink genre. If you guys like PTA or at least Magnolia, you should give it a chance.

DA is a lot like Gosford Park until later seasons when it just becomes terribly depressing

I just saw Iron Sky. You know, that movie about Nazi's from the Dark Side of the moon trying to conquer the world. I remember being pretty excited about this when it came out in 2012. I missed it then and boy, am I glad that I didn't pay to see this in the cinema. It's pretty terrible. The special effects are great and Julia Dietze is lovely to watch, but that's about all the good things I can say about the movie. The premisse of the movie is incredibly silly, but they could have made something great from it. This was just boring.

Has anyone seen Black Sails on Starz? Worth watching?

I do believe it's worth watching. It's not very good, but it has potential imo. It has some major weaknesses. Mainly a lack of budget (those battles at sea are immensly expensive, that's why much of the story takes place on an island) and shoddy writing. The writers are particularly inept at writing for the women on the show. And it doesn't help that the actresses who play characters like Max, Anne Bonny and Miranda Barlow are pretty terrible.

Hannah New on the other hand, who plays the female protagonist is very good. She's often hindered by a moronic script, that doesn't know where it's headed, but she's great when the material isn't mind-boggingly awful. She has the talent and looks to go places. Besides her, other strongpoints of the series are its sourcematerial (treasure island and the historical 'Golden Age of Piracy') and the actors involved.

Toby Stephens' Captain Flint is mesmerizing to look at. You may remember Stephens as the villain from 'Die Another Day' (The one good thing in the entire movie). He's apparantly more into theatre, that's why he hasn't done much work for movies and TV-series. A shame really because he's a very good actor (it runs in the family since he's the son of Dame Maggie Smith), who elevates everything he's in. The supporting cast is great as well. The only one whom I am kind of iffy about is Luke Barne's portrayal of Long Young Silver. Especially in the beginning he's pretty terrible, but he does improve over time.

The first two episodes are kind of meh, 3 and 4 are embarrisingly bad, but the episodes after that are really strong. It's a bit like the first season of Spartacus really, the opening episodes are terrible, but once it picks up it goes places. The difference is of course that it has less episodes than Spartacus, so for all I know they might muck up all the good things they've put in place when the new season arrives. I hope they'll continue making good choices and continue on the right track for season 2. Who knows, this might become the new Spartacus.

EDIT: Black Sails also has the best opening theme on TV right now. In the old days GoT might have given it a run for its money (because the map was great worldbuilding), but after the poor job they did with season 4's opening credits Black Sails is definitely the best.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I've never seen those shows before so this is pretty new to me; though I do understand how the upstairs/downstairs concept can be redundant. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome :D For what it's worth, eventhough I have seen the story many times before, I still enjoy Downton Abbey. The acting is great and it's a step above most of the outings in the genre. Though they do their best to piss me off:

My two favorite characters (besides the dowager countess and Molesley) were Matthew and Lady Sybil. And of course those are the ones they kill off :p I quite like Lady Rose so I'm waiting to see how they are going to kill her off

It's a soap opera with a British accent. I'm baffled that it keeps getting nominated for awards... but then again, there is that accent.

I agree, though you have to admit that it's a very high quality soap opera (if that even exists :P). The show doesn't deserve to be nominated for best dramaseries and what not, but the acting is top notch, if one of them got nominated for that I wouldn't mind.

After seeing the name pop up on here for quite a while, I decided to check out Utopia made by Channel 4 (so not the new reality show). I have just watched the first episode and wow was that great. I have no idea why I haven't heard anything about this before. Is Channel 4 really that insignificant? Utopia doesn't even have a picture on its IMDB page!

Watched Ides of March and Syriana last night. George Clooney is definitely one of the finest actors of our generation. I really liked both films, and they both had a terrific ensemble cast, but he always stole whatever scene he was in.

I liked Ides of March, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes House of Cards or political thrillers. But at the same time, I just felt that it tried too hard to be clever and ended up being extremely (and unnecessarily) cynical instead. I just felt like it had the potential to be something more than just a film about a Clinton-like sex scandal. But other than that, it was a good film. George directed it as well as acted, and the others - namely Gosling, Hoffman, and Giamatti all had very solid performances.

Syriana was just...wow. I can easily say it's now one of my favorite films I've ever seen, and definitely the best I've seen this year. The pacing is brilliant, but it never slows down so you could catch up, never dumbs itself down for the audience's sake. I believe it's a great, thought-provoking commentary on contemporary geopolitics with a very emotionally engaging story. Oh, the soundtrack's awesome too. Just like Clooney's acting. But yeah, with all that said, it definitely warrants a re-watch to fully appreciate and enjoy it, mostly because I've never been a fan of linked-but-separate plots narratives and I felt like I didn't pay nearly enough attention to all the storylines.

And tonight I plan on watching Michael Clayron and Goodnight, and Good night, and good luck. Common denominator: Clooney.

Yesterday, Jean de Florette was on TV here. For those of you who love French cinema I really recommend it. The landscape is beautiful, the story is so very moving and the acting is superb. It has a young Gerard Depardieu (who's madly likeable), a stern Yves Montand, but this is really Daniel Auteuils movie. He's a villain, no doubt about it, but you just feel for the guy. Truly a masterpiece. Next week they're broadcasting the sequel Manon des sources here and I can't wait. According to Roger Ebert that movie is even better than Jean de Florette :D

Utopia was kinda popular in UK but even then nowhere near as much as it should have been.

That's a real shame. I have just watched the last episode of season one and this series is top notch in almost every way. The acting is stellar (they even managed to find great child actors), the soundtrack is amazingly catchy and the cinematography is excellent. It's so visually distinctive, the only series I can compare it to right now is Hannibal. Just like Hannibal, when you see a scene out of context you just know that it can only be from this show. That's how much it stands out from the usual dribble on TV.

I also love that they don't shy away from anything in this series. They seem to be able to do pretty much anything and they use that in such a great way. If it were on HBO and the likes they would have random sex scenes and striptease bars in every episode (I'm exagerating of course, but their is some truth to it). Anyway I just love the fact that a series with this kind of storyline gives us all these things in a quite realistic manner

that torture scene from episode one for example is so freaking great

The only minor weakpoint to me is the evil masterplan. It's a bit farfetched, but since everything else about this show is good I'm willing to role with it. Did see the

inevitable reveal of Mrs. Rabbit coming though

. I see on IMDB the second season has already started (only 4 episodes, what a bummer), so I'll catch up ASAP.

Rewatched Rise of The Planet of The Apes. Its much stronger than I remembered. It has a lot of good drama and action scenes. I highly recommend it for anyone who's planning to go watch Dawn in cinemas.

I've been putting off watching season 2 of House of Cards for a while now. I think I'll give it a go later on this week.

I watched Under the Skin and Snowpiercer recently. Under the Skin was pretty well done with a dark, eerie atmosphere that worked perfectly. I'm sure it will be very hot or miss with people but I enjoyed it...and Scarlett Johansson gets naked a bunch of times.

Snowpiercer was awesome. The first hour and a half was loads of action and intrigue and I think it slowed down towards the ending but overrall it was pretty damn good.

You're welcome :D For what it's worth, eventhough I have seen the story many times before, I still enjoy Downton Abbey. The acting is great and it's a step above most of the outings in the genre. Though they do their best to piss me off:

I just finished the fourth season so of course I just missed the fifth one. Is there an alternative to waiting for the dvd to come out? And yes, I enjoyed those characters as well :crying: I like Thomas a lot as well. He's quite the rogue.

I just finished the fourth season so of course I just missed the fifth one. Is there an alternative to waiting for the dvd to come out? And yes, I enjoyed those characters as well :crying: I like Thomas a lot as well. He's quite the rogue.

? Downton's fifth season is only being aired for the first time from september to october 2014 on ITV?

? Downton's fifth season is only being aired for the first time from september to october 2014 on ITV?

Oh okay I must have misread the bit about January 2014, or it just aired in the UK at that time. Huge relief then and thank you!

Archived