GoT: Season 5 – New Cast Members (Comic Con)

Prince_Snow

I can't help thinking about the implications for Dorne with Arianne cut from the show. Who will end up ruling Dorne post-Doran? Is Arianne scheduled to die in the books? Will Trystane inheit Dorne? Will there even be a recognisable kingdom of Dorne to rule over by the end of the series?

There is still a possible way that Arianne might still be included. Since Trystane is the heir to Dorne, and he's betrothed to Myrcella, with Tywin's death, the Lannisters are considerably weaker. Doran, (who plays to win) since the Lannisters don't have the power that they used to have, will deny Myrcella being married to his son, so he will send Trystane, who will be merged with Quentyn, to meet and marry Daenerys instead of Myrcella. Arianne is a few years younger than Trystane, but she disagrees with her father about Myrcella and plots to make her queen. As soon as Trystane is killed by the dragons, Arianne will be the heir to Dorne.

Maybe I'm just trying to fool myself into thinking Arianne will be in.

I assume that more castings will be done.

I also think they want Aegon to be a surprise-they'd kinda ruin it if they said we're casting so and so as the long lost son of Rhaeger Targaryen.

People need to calm down-they haven't revealed everything yet

Well, they'd just announce him as Griff. But who knows they may not be done revealing the new cast. Or he's just being held back til season 6. Time will tell.

I can't help thinking about the implications for Dorne with Arianne cut from the show. Who will end up ruling Dorne post-Doran? Is Arianne scheduled to die in the books? Will Trystane inheit Dorne? Will there even be a recognisable kingdom of Dorne to rule over by the end of the series?

She may be scheduled to die, yeah. But this is also what they did with the Tyrells; Show!Loras is Mace's heir, which is obviously a major departure as well.

I'm really not feeling the Obara casting, she seems way too small and pretty. I know they can make her less pretty but they cant make her bigger. Tyene also seems to be called Tyene but not to actually be Tyene Her weapon is poison and she's the daughter of a septa. She seems like she's just got the same Tyene but not anything else, they could have just aged up one of Ellaria 's sand snake daughters if they wanted to have her daughter as one of them.

I agree completely, but as a sidenote: I found it kinda "funny" one of the most sexualized shows on tv didnt cast the most sexual character in the books. But anyway, what was the point in pointing out to everyone Dorne was different JUST to have them be pretty much the same?

Yeah, it's kind of like Oberyn going, "man, Dorne is totally different from this stupid place. We like bastards and everyone can have sex with everyone and it's awesome and there are spicy foods and stuff!"

"Oh, that's cool. Do daughters inherit or anything?"

"Oh god! God, no! What are you thinking? We're progressive, but we're not stupid. Letting women rule. Jeez."

That's pretty much the message I'll get if Arianne isn't heir. :lol:

I assume that more castings will be done.

I also think they want Aegon to be a surprise-they'd kinda ruin it if they said we're casting so and so as the long lost son of Rhaeger Targaryen.

People need to calm down-they haven't revealed everything yet

What's stopping them from announcing that they have cast Young Griff?

(Besides, I don't think he is the lost long son of Rhaegar Targaryen.)

To everyone freaking out about the Northern characters: this is a partial casting announcement. They are filming the Northern stuff later in the year (which makes sense, with the winter coming, snow and all). Obviously, they will need to cast some characters there, and it's a big part of the upcoming season. This casting announcement together about the earlier casting call was just about King's Landing, Meereen and Dorne.

What's stopping them from announcing that they have cast Young Griff?

(Besides, I don't think he is the lost long son of Rhaegar Targaryen.)

Yeah, they could have announced Young Griff had they wanted to. But Rhaegar's son or no, it kind of makes Show!Varys a bit boring with his exclusion.

To everyone freaking out about the Northern characters: this is a partial casting announcement. They are filming the Northern stuff later in the year (which makes sense, with the winter coming, snow and all). Obviously, they will need to cast some characters there, and it's a big part of the upcoming season. This casting announcement together about the earlier casting call was just about King's Landing, Meereen and Dorne.

Excellent point.

Storylines that will now be significantly altered, because this IS the main casting announcement, unfortunately:

Dorne obviously.

The Iron Islands. The dragon horn is a game changer but I guess not to D&D.

Stannis, the Boltons, and most importantly Ser Davos. No "the north remembers Ser Davos" line.

Dany/Meereen. No Ironborn, no Quentyn, no Brown Ben Plumm (no old, bold sellswords. another great line ommision.)

Tyrion. How exactly he and Jorah will be sold into slavery now seems up in the air. No Griffs, the Aegon reveal is another game changer that is going to be omitted.

Varys. If there is no Aegon, WTF is he planning for?!?!

Jaime and Bronn. Apparently they are going to Dorne, another big deviation.

Brienne and Podrick. If no Stoneheart, another wtf are they doing now?

Arya. No mention of the kindly man, which is highly disappointing.

Almost every plot in the story will now be altered. I would love to hear D&D's explanation, and given the overwhelmingly negative response so far, they will need to answer. I feel like they are dumbing the show downs for the unsullied viewers who won't bother to pay attention to the details. Aesthetics over substance seems to be a priority which is a real shame. I expect many more useless action scenes, watered down book dialogue and a good season that lost it's chance to be one of the best seasons the show has had.

They haven't even started shooting and now people are demanding explanations on why they are changing everything before anyone ACTUALLY KNOWS what is being changed. Ridiculous.

It seems that this thread is dedicated to complaining how people who know how the story will end and communicate constantly with GRRM don't understand the story and will never get anything right because they do/don't do something that the poster wants. I don't understand it.

Those castings are just a part of what's to come and if Areo Hotah gets an expanded role in the series it means it's there for a reason.

What people forget is that if they cut loads of characters and change loads of storylines it's a good thing for us book readers. How many of you have been moaning about the show overtaking the books and spoiling things? Well now you don't have to worry because the shows going to be completely fucking different!

What people forget is that if they cut loads of characters and change loads of storylines it's a good thing for us book readers. How many of you have been moaning about the show overtaking the books and spoiling things? Well now you don't have to worry because the shows going to be completely fucking different!

I'm not one of those people. I don't want the show to be completely different, I want it to be as faithful as possible to George's story.

I'm not one of those people. I don't want the show to be completely different, I want it to be as faithful as possible to George's story.

This! Streamlining is one thing. Completely going in a different direction is another. I don't want another story, I want Grrm's story adapted as best as possible in 10 episodes a book.

Archived