Casting News from San Diego

Westeros

Maybe Tyene gets a blond wig, lol, or maybe they'll CGI it...as for the dual-wielding daggers...I'm not...er....I don't get it.

What is not to get? On the show she is going to be Oberyn and Ellaria's daughter so naturally she should look like them. She is not going to be blonde.

Spoilers

i think we will get iron islanders casting news later on, i don't think they are all cut. It would be silly to keep Theon and Yara in every season just to remind us of them if they aren't going to do anything with the Iron Islanders other main storyline. Plus we need Balon dead and some sort of person opposing Yara for the seastone chair.

For those who don't know, unfortunately all evidence points to Arianne being cut completely. But this does not mean fAegon or JonCon is cut...they might just send on of the sandsnakes in Ariannes place. But what annoys me about Arianne being cut is what people have already mentioned; Dorne inheritance is different and important for women in the story...it just would've been awesome to highlight this. Plus if Trystane is the only child, why plot to crown Myrcella? when she is going to be princess of Dorne?

Based off the video Arianne AND Quentyn have been cut in favor of the Sand Snakes of all characters. Seriously, what the hell is that about? Both are POV characters and Arianne being Doran's heir highlights how Dorne is different from the other kingdoms in terms of culture and inheritance.

Just par for the course really. The Sand Snakes are sooo Hollywood!

They better not cut Euron, I'll be sour.

Whelp this pretty much confirms Arianne is out. Good job D+D.

Did someone say that Ellaria will take the Arianne part?

Indira Varma is still under contract I am guessing, I know how they like to economize , so we shall see.

I guess when they say production starts Monday they will be shooting in NI , well they always shoot there, but next must be Croatia and Spain ... because all this Dorne stuff has been kind of Up Front for the last couple of months.

Kl, the Wall and Meereen , Braavos and Pentos(i guess) , did David say they were returning to Malta again?

The Bolton stuff.

I can't see them not advancing the Ironborn story this season, but sure has been little talk of it.

I thought it was interesting hearing, somewhere, that the Iron Bank would , in Braavos, be in the story (besides, I guess in KL as well) ... I can't imagine that is invention but an 'echo back' from Winds and Dream... don't know what to make of it.

Seems Jaqen will be , seems, the Kindly Man, mantle , but at least one House of Black and While character needs casting, and one of maybe two or more speaking parts for Braavos?

Man! have loved Jonathan Pryce since he appeared in Something This Way Wicked Comes , 1983, but I am not fond of the High Sparrow story, I hope they keep in brief.

Well, maybe I'm being a tad naive here, but why would this video necessarily mean Arianne has been cut or whatnot ? It mostly gave us a taste of Dorne for sure, but we also got Yezzan and the High Sparrow so it might be that the entire dornish crew is yet to be constituted, and that she'll appear in another video, that her role hasn't been attributed yet.

Also, I see they got that Hannibal guy for the role of Doran Martell. That's an interesting choice, although it's quite different from what I had in mind... for one reason or another, I always pictured him as Marlon Brando. Kind of a Godfather figure. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing his performance.

Well, maybe I'm being a tad naive here, but why would this video necessarily mean Arianne has been cut or whatnot ? It mostly gave us a taste of Dorne for sure, but we also got Yezzan and the High Sparrow so it might be that the entire dornish crew is yet to be constituted, and that she'll appear in another video, that her role hasn't been attributed yet.

Yeah, she may still appear, but the problem is that they have stripped her of being heir to Dorne (from the press release) and this causes issues for her motivations with regards to Mycella's storyline. It risks making her wallpaper rather than a character of importance.

Don't lose heart yet guys - casting is really complicated, negotiations can take forever, people drop out, execs have to approve etc. there will be more announcements to come, have no doubt. These were just the actors confirmed in time for the Con. And don't forget - it's all strategic marketing.

What I don't get is, if they cut Quentyn and Arianne, Doran's whole plotting against the Lannisters with trying to align with the Targaryens through a marriage with Viserys/Danerys is a non factor, which seems strange. As that was Doran's way of getting revenge, unlike Oberyn's more direct way. I hope they aren't but, but it really seems that they may be, especially given Trystannes description as heir to Dorne.

Plus, I don't understand cutting the whole Greyjoy subplot as well, but that's just me unless they plan on reintroducing it when they need to when Dany needs ships to get back to Westeros,

So Arriane and Quentyn are cut. The only two Dornish characters that were actually doing anything in the books (well, and Doran, kinda).

Coupled with the fact that Jaime and Bronn are going to Dorne next season it looks to me as Dorne will be 90% fanfiction in season 5. I don't know if I should be worried or amused by this.

After many a time spent lurking I finally had no choice. I still love the show but this is the third time they change a woman in power to a man in power needlessly. Besides Arianne was obviously important if they will give other characters her arc. I really hope this is a misunderstanding because why would they possibly make barely present secondary/tertiary characters the focus of such a big sideplot.

Edit: As for the rest of the casting it seems great and I am sure we will eventually get the ironborn just not this season.

So Arriane and Quentyn are cut. The only two Dornish characters that were actually doing anything in the books (well, and Doran, kinda).

Coupled with the fact that Jaime and Bronn are going to Dorne next season it looks to me as Dorne will be 90% fanfiction in season 5. I don't know if I should be worried or amused by this.

I'd say Jaime's just going to replace Balon Swann for the delivery of Gregor's skull. Balon has never been a thing in the shows so maybe they don't want to bother getting a new actor just for him.

Yeah, she may still appear, but the problem is that they have stripped her of being heir to Dorne (from the press release) and this causes issues for her motivations with regards to Mycella's storyline. It risks making her wallpaper rather than a character of importance.

Oh, right. I'm getting a bit worried about whatever the D's have in mind for season 5, to be honest. I've heard Lady Stoneheart was completely cut off, although I'm unconvinced by such claims, if on the top of that they're going to fully rewrite the dornish plot and get rid of the Greyjoys... It'd be the first time they drift so far away from the books, I think.

Archived