Casting News from San Diego

Westeros

I guess it makes some sense for the show to cut the whole Aegon stroyline. To understand what's happening there you need to know quite a lot about the past and pereferrably have some internal monologue to explain all the circumstances. Now Aegon has at least been mentioned once or twice (not by name though), and about Connington we know exactly nothing. So, no Aegon. Fine, he's most likely fake anyway and will have no greater impact on the ending of the show.

Cutting Aegon also means you can comfortably cut Arianne, because her only point is some Dorne-Targ marriage... the Queenmaker thing can be covered without her.

Also the Trystane-Quentyn merge makes some sense, and if only to introduce this character earlier and make people care for him. I mean, why do people complain about cutting Quentyn? Most of those people disliked his story in ADWD anyway, so imo the show's version is quite clever.

The only big question mark is the Ironborn storyline, and it's quite a dilemma. One the one hand, you probably... possibly can handle the Meereen battle without Ironborn and just have maybe Daario do the Victarion thing (i.e. attack from the sea with the dragon horn). On the other hand, you already have the Balon leech in the fire, so he has to die at some point, but this doesn't make any sense if there are no consequences whatsoever.

I expected Arianne and Quentyn being cut, but the lack of new actors from other settings has surprised me. No Iron Islanders, no wildling leaders to expand on Jon's storyline in ADWD, no key roles in the Mereen plot, not any of Tyrion's travel companions...

There are huge implications for all of this, but perhaps they'll be better in a new thread.

But will the TV series retain the idea that Areo is from Norvos, or will it change it so that he is from the Summer Islands? Or a Summer Islander living in Norvos?

I wouldn't count on having the show bothering with explanations about Doran's wife, and how Areo came with her. Specially when the justification for Mellario's absence (Trystane being fostered away) won't be there.

I guess it makes some sense for the show to cut the whole Aegon stroyline. To understand what's happening there you need to know quite a lot about the past and pereferrably have some internal monologue to explain all the circumstances. Now Aegon has at least been mentioned once or twice (not by name though), and about Connington we know exactly nothing. So, no Aegon. Fine, he's most likely fake anyway and will have no greater impact on the ending of the show.

No, all you need to know is that the baby presented to Robert Baratheon was unrecognisable, and that someone claiming to be Aegon has been raised by one of Rhaegar's closest friends. Do you really think the audience are so stupid that they won't be able to follow that?? Aegon is a Targaryen claimant and he's introduced with Tyrion - if he's on the show, he'll be far more memorable than any of the other characters introduced this season.

Even if he's fake (which is very likely), he's going to be very important to the ending of the books. He's the "mummer's dragon" Dany needs to fight, and he's all part of Varys' long-term plan. Cut him and you might as well have cut Varys and Illyrio. And if importance to the ending is all that matters, the show might as well have cut Renly and Balon and Robb...

Without Aegon, I'm not even sure why Dorne would be important to the narrative. Who are they going to support now? Will they still oppose Dany, even without Quentyn's death and Arianne's ambition?

And without Arianne, what has Doran been doing for all these years?? He obviously didn't arrange a marriage between Arianne and Viserys because she didn't exist, and a marriage between Daenerys and Trystane just wouldn't fit with the Queenmaker plot - why would Doran not have told Trystane immediately that he had another bride planned for him? Why would he even accept the betrothal to Myrcella, when the two are so much older in the show that a marriage between them would have to take place relatively soon?

Obviously it's meant to imply that Oberyn gets around.

Sarella isn't your typical Dornish either; she's half-Summer Islander, IIRC.

I think the Diversity of the Sand Snakes shows that Oberyn is well traveled and very Polyamourous. He is also very connected to family as he has taken in all his bastard children.

I love Alexander Siddig as an actor. He'll make a good prince Doran. I just always pictured Doran as being overweight and hampered by gout and obesity related disorders. I pictured him in a three wheeler from the Scooter Store Taking up whole Aisles in Wal Mart shopping for 3 pound bags of Peanut Butter M&M's.

No, all you need to know is that the baby presented to Robert Baratheon was unrecognisable, and that someone claiming to be Aegon has been raised by one of Rhaegar's closest friends. Do you really think the audience are so stupid that they won't be able to follow that?? Aegon is a Targaryen claimant and he's introduced with Tyrion - if he's on the show, he'll be far more memorable than any of the other characters introduced this season.

Even if he's fake (which is very likely), he's going to be very important to the ending of the books. He's the "mummer's dragon" Dany needs to fight, and he's all part of Varys' long-term plan. Cut him and you might as well have cut Varys and Illyrio. And if importance to the ending is all that matters, the show might as well have cut Renly and Balon and Robb...

Without Aegon, I'm not even sure why Dorne would be important to the narrative. Who are they going to support now? Will they still oppose Dany, even without Quentyn's death and Arianne's ambition?

And without Arianne, what has Doran been doing for all these years?? He obviously didn't arrange a marriage between Arianne and Viserys because she didn't exist, and a marriage between Daenerys and Trystane just wouldn't fit with the Queenmaker plot - why would Doran not have told Trystane immediately that he had another bride planned for him? Why would he even accept the betrothal to Myrcella, when the two are so much older in the show that a marriage between them would have to take place relatively soon?

Sure, it is possible, but not if you want to cover all the rest of ADWD and AFFC in one season. And still it would be problematic. Heck, it was even problematic for book readers to connect to the Aegon thing - it sure was interesting in terms of scheming and plotting and backstory and whatnot, but those are all qualities that might be too complex for a TV show that wants to transfer two big books into one season.

And how many people complained about ADWD being too unfocused! Now, while cutting Aegon takes a lot of depth from the story (a depth the show was never able to provide anyway), it solves exatly this problem: It straightens things up and eliminates one sort of detached storyline to focus on the rest.

As for the point of Dorne without Aegon... we will see. Maybe it just ends with the death of Trystane/Quentyn. Maybe the Sand Snakes are the real players there, and Arianne was really just a marriage tool. I guess we just have to wait and find out.

Don't get me wrong: I certainly would prefer a show with enought screentime, courage and (ultimately) money to cover everything from the books that is to cover. But the show is just a different kind of monster than the books, and IF they have to decide to cut some plotline from ADWD for the sake of simplicity, then the Aegon plot is a fine choice imo.

You speak Truth!

Look, I think the Nymeria change fits easily enough, and I can live with such cosmetic changes to Obara "big boned" or not...as long as she's Maori.....and fine, maybe "Dornish peasant girl" is a euphemism for "prostitute", or it's not that different from an Oldtown whore (given that either way, Obara looks salty Dornish). I'm willing to let that slide.

But TYENE? Suddenly she's using knives instead of poison? How the hell is she Ellaria's daughter if she doesn't look salty Dornish, but Italian? All they're doing is making her a retread of Obara and Nymeria!

For those of you saying "Well, if Tyene isn't blonde now, of course she looks like Oberyn and Ellaria and was changed to being Ellaria's daughter......Italian isn't Dornish. Dornish people on the show have been from Hispanic (Oberyn) to Southeast-Asian Indian (Ellaria). A black-haired Italian girl doesn't look like that. It is IMPLAUSIBLE for Tyene to be Ellaria's daughter, they don't look similar.

....or are we falling back into the "brownface" trope of "mediterranean-looking Italian men can play Native Americans?"

If they wanted Tyene to be white, make her mother someone else. If they wanted Tyene to be Ellaria's daughter....cast a Southeast-Asian Indian actress! Don't cast a black-haired Caucasian woman!

As for Arianne....Season 2 outright stated in dialogue that Myrcelle was being betrothed to the "youngest son" of the Martells...implying that Trystane isn't Doran's only child! So how can they now act like Trystane is the heir?!

THANK YOU.

I seriously hope you're being sarcastic here. I was being serious though. D&D always feel the need to conform to modern ideas of what it is to be LGBT, in other words--stereotypes. And we got the message, Oberyn is bisexual, that doesn't mean he only hangs out in brothels and only with naked people. He's a deeper character than that. That's what I'm against, D&D have a tendency to strip down homosexual and bisexual characters to just the sex, pun intended. Renly was deeper than just his sexuality yet that's all I took from his arc on the show. Same thing with Loras. What I'm saying is I hope they don't butcher Nymeria with unnecessary brothel scenes.

Of course I was being sarcastic. See Seneti's reply, which is pretty much where I'm coming from.

More to the point - be careful about your posts, man!

It's different because women are counted in the lines of inheritance, mistresses/paramours can hold titles, bastards are not looked down on, and they are much more sexually liberated than the rest of the 7K.

Women are counted in the lines of inheritance everywhere in Westeros. The difference is that Dorne inheritance is based on absolute primogeniture - the eldest child is the heir, not the eldest son (Arianne over her younger brothers, Quentyn an Trystane). While in the rest of Westeros, daughters only come after sons (i.e. Sansa and Arya after Bran and Rickon).

I just always pictured Doran as being overweight and hampered by gout and obesity related disorders. I pictured him in a three wheeler from the Scooter Store Taking up whole Aisles in Wal Mart shopping for 3 pound bags of Peanut Butter M&M's.

Me too! I don't know how I wound up with that impression, as all the illustrations in the wiki show him as slender and frail.

I can't fault them for casting a handsome and talented actor, I just hope he provides a good contrast to Oberyn- Doran seems so harmless at first...

Sorry if this has been covered. This forum is just too vast, does anybody think that they may be splitting season 5 and 6 like feast and dance? For example, could season 5 cover the Dornish outer story and season 6 cover the Ironborn story? Obviously with the main characters all along, it would serve to stretch out the story beyond the "seven seasons" and include all the storylines that each person is looking forward too.

Sorry if this has been covered. This forum is just too vast, does anybody think that they may be splitting season 5 and 6 like feast and dance? For example, could season 5 cover the Dornish outer story and season 6 cover the Ironborn story? Obviously with the main characters all along, it would serve to stretch out the story beyond the "seven seasons" and include all the storylines that each person is looking forward too.

No.

Archived