500 Greatest Movies of All Time: An Anthology

Kyoshi

I think Brian De Palma's Scarface does deserve a place in this particular top 500. It's not that great of a film, but it gets on the list because it has been a very influential movie. Pretty much every criminal I have ever heard talking about movies has Scarface on number one. The exception are the white collar criminals, they prefer the original Wall Street.

I don't know if the galloping horse film would really fit into the context of what we'd consider a movie. Probably something by Robert Paul would be considered the first real "movie", in that it had continuous action, change of sets and had a plot.

Yes, you have a point. Though the horse is still cool ;) and the film did settle a bet for 25000 dollar (or was it pound?)

A Trip to the Moon and The Great Train Robbery are probably the most well-known of the birth of film era, and they definitely have two of the most iconic film images.

I can't believe I forgot about the Great Train Robbery :o Those images are indeed iconic!

Now it's my turn: :bowdown: Too often do I hear people say the opposite and I'm always contending that Vol. 2 is superior.

I think most people just can't handle the slower pace of two, especially after that amazing fight at the end of Vol. one (reminds me of a similar situation with a certain series of books). I just love the fact that Tarantino channels so much Spaghetti-Western in two. And it has one of the coolest talks in movie history imo

:thumbsdown:

Hating on Avatar's the cool thing now-days (not that I think that's why you dislike it). If anything, it's underrated now.

I walked out off Avatar disliking it. I had hoped for a good story with amazing visuals. What I got was a bland rehash of cliches, filled with stock characters and some gimmicky visuals. I was not amused, especially since I had to pay extra for 3-D.

I am going to talk about the Indian movies which have made it in to the list :

There is no way Lootera comes in TOP 500 list of the world movies . It is not even that director's best movie .

Devdas the one with Dilip Kumar should be in it not the new remake .

Sholay should be in the list for sure . Everything that they did in this movie was perfect .

PatherPanchali directed by Satyajit Ray is another masterpiece .

Perhaps this would be a good idea for a thread of its own. Bollywood has always intrigued me, but I'm not really familiar with any of its output. Someone should make a list of great Indian movies, that should also be seen by people from the west

I think Brian De Palma's Scarface does deserve a place in this particular top 500. It's not that great of a film, but it gets on the list because it has been a very influential movie. Pretty much every criminal I have ever heard talking about movies has Scarface on number one. The exception are the white collar criminals, they prefer the original Wall Street.

I totally agree -- I didn't mean to get rid of both Scarfaces, just one of the duplicates. I went and edited my post just to clear up any confusion -- My bad :O

I am going to talk about the Indian movies which have made it in to the list :

There is no way Lootera comes in TOP 500 list of the world movies . It is not even that director's best movie .

Devdas the one with Dilip Kumar should be in it not the new remake .

Sholay should be in the list for sure . Everything that they did in this movie was perfect .

I really liked Udaan but I honestly thought Lootera was much better. I never watched the original Devdas so I can't say anything on that. Never watched Sholay either. But I've literally watched hundreds (slight exaggeration) of Indian films and these were the best I could think of. I also agree with Frey Pies' mentions.

I totally agree -- I didn't mean to get rid of both Scarfaces, just one of the duplicates. I went and edited my post just to clear up any confusion -- My bad :o

Oh right, well then I propose we keep Brian De Palma's version and get rid of the older one :)

Oh right, well then I propose we keep Brian De Palma's version and get rid of the older one :)

Hahaha, ah well, so be it.

Scarface (1983)

Scarface (1932)

edit: providing Rio Bravo stays so that Hawks is represented somehow on the list :D

This doesn't make you sound so much like a snob but rather just someone who doesn't have a wide movie-viewing experience. Kubrick and Scorsese are undoubtedly excellent directors, but what about Fellini, Fritz Lang, Vittorio di Sica, Bergman, Welles, Leone, Coppola, Kurosawa, D.W. Griffith (yes, controversial I know, but the man invented modern movies), or even more modern directors like David Fincher, Wes Anderson or Michael Mann?

Btw, speaking of Fellini and Bergman, are 8 1/2 and Wild Strawberries really not on this list or did I just miss them?

I wanted to list like 10 Bergman movies (I am a huge fanboy), Wild Strawberries obviously one of them, but decided to limit myself to one movie per director in my first post here. ;)

Absolutely. Stunning movie, amazing it was the director's debut.

I wanted to list like 10 Bergman movies (I am a huge fanboy), Wild Strawberries obviously one of them, but decided to limit myself to one movie per director in my first post here. ;)

I hope Fanny and Alexander would've been one of them :D

I can't believe how many seriously bad movies there are in that list while missing a bunch of great ones.

Braveheart

Pi

Titanic

ET

It happened one night

Close Encounters

Heat

Funny thing is I did suggest Titanic. I honestly completely forgot about ET. Absolutely hated Pi. After re watching Braveheart I thought it was overrated. I can put your suggestions through. You'll just have to fight for them.

Funny thing is I did suggest Titanic. I honestly completely forgot about ET. Absolutely hated Pi. After re watching Braveheart I thought it was overrated. I can put your suggestions through. You'll just have to fight for them.

I'll fight for everything except Pi. That's just a personal favorite that is head and shoulders better than movies like Transformers.

I don't really care about the movie enough to have some extensive argument which is clearly gonna be entirely based on our subjective preference. I understand that you're prepared to defend it to the death but "mediocre" isn't exactly a position that illicits much passion haha - I think it's a "meh" movie, average, not that great. I don't feel the need for some grand debate about it. I will say one positive thing about the movie: as a whole it's 10x better than that awful 'tears in rain' scene, that pile of shit scene does a disservice to the film, it didn't deserve an ending that bad.

One wonders why you deigned to bring it up in the first place then.

"Tears in the Rain" speech is fucking brilliant.

I'm still just flabbergasted about the terrible movies that have been suggested that are supposedly better than any of the ones I've listed. Skyfall? Kung fu Hustle? The Borne movies? Batman Begins over the original Batman? So many more...

Not saying these are necessarily bad movies, but we're talking about 70 years of cinematic history. These films should not be anywhere near this list.

Archived