500 Greatest Movies of All Time: An Anthology

Kyoshi

see, I said it like a dumbass layperson, and much prefer your description of the scene. that kinda stuff is probably what a greatest list should track--items that make use of the medium of film itself. books have narrative, the symphony has sound, painting has visuals. film is however its own art, with its own imperatives, say.

Yeah, it's adopted norms to such a degree that when directors try to challenge them we often already are rendered too academic about the experience because the intent is so apparent. In some ways that probably made experimentation easier earlier, as you weren't swimming against a conceptual tide.

Most of the modern breakthroughs have involved aspects like time, narrative, reliability, etc. I love Trainspotting in part because the material allowed/pushed for visual expansion. It wasn't necessarily new itself but within the acknowledged concept of altered state narration, the actual surrealism was less jarring and therefore inspired a less purely academic/intellectual response. When EMcG dives into the toilet bowl, we aren't immediately in film 101, but instead laughing and along for the ride.

Just thought I'd list some of my favourites (had a quick scan through your impressive list but I may repeat some films already there).

Amores Perros (a personal favourite)

The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp

Black Narcissus

A Matter Of Life And Death

Magnolia

The Wages Of Fear

Seven Samurai

Ikiru

The Leopard

M

Chinatown

12 Angry Men

Mulholland Drive

Ugetsu Monogatari

There Will Be Blood

The Double Life Of Veronique

Miller's Crossing

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

No Country For Old Men

Badlands

Blade Runner

North By Northwest

Rebecca

City Of God

Dr Strangelove

Pan's Labyrinth

American Beauty

The Sweet Hereafter

Spirited Away

The Shawshank Redemption

The Vanishing (Spoorloos)

Memento

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

The Three Colours Trilogy

The Third Man

LA Confidential

Sullivan's Travels

Nosferatu (1921)

Sunrise (1927)

Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever made, hands down :bowdown: :bowdown:

I much prefer Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction is very good, but already peeking on the extraordinarily self-referential/reverential stuff he pulled off in the wake of it (though Jackie Brown is somehow overlooked/underrated).

Reservoir Dogs has high points that compare with some other QT high points but isn't auto-erotic enough for the real lows QT gets afterwards. The Madsen scene with the cop is about as realistically chilling as it gets, and I lovelovelove the discussion where the gunmen reveal their moral hierarchies in terms of who you kill and who you don't. No one is the bad guy in their own movie, and this was a lovely illustration without sounding like a sub-heading.

I think the single best scene QT has done is the first scene in Inglorious Bastards, at the farmhouse, but the movie is really hit and miss after that for me.

It is! #136

That's insanely low.

I recommend hydrotherapy.

It's very very very very close to the greatest film ever made. Incredible editing (oh, JFK should get a mention just for editing), maybe the most beautiful camerawork we've ever seen (Mallick can go suck it!), shots modern directors are still trying to work out, a genius script loaded top to bottom with amazing characters with amazing lines, arguably the greatest, most improbable single moment ever caught on film in a major motion picture, and a breadth and depth of serious, often disturbing examinations of humanity, value, glory, war, loyalty and power.

If I could be around for the making of one movie, this would probably be it. Some of Lean's accomplishments in the thing are staggering just as ambitions.

EDIT: Another list of great movies (besides this one and the Sight and Sound poll) that I think is very important is the one by Roger Ebert. In many ways, he seems to be a bit of a bridge between Sight and Sound (which is top-of-the-line) and the more casual cinephiles. I'm currently working my way through it and there are very few disappointments so far.

Here's the msot representative list I've found (apart from Internet polls where anyone can vote), which aggregate the votes of more than 3000 critics, filmmakers and scholars - http://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php . It's been really useful for me over the years, I discovered plenty of excellent movies thanks to it.

Nah, Pulp Fiction is awesome when you see it the first time, awesome when you see it the second time, and I dunno how many times I've seen it since then.

Yep.

probably one of my most watched movies, even if I think his best is Inglourious Basterds for a number of reasons, I've still probably watched pulp fiction twice as many times.

Just thought I'd list some of my favourites (had a quick scan through your impressive list but I may repeat some films already there).

Your list is quite lovely; especially love the mention of A Matter of Life and Death so im not the only one to have mentioned it. Fantastic film. :) I am sure if more people had seen it (AND THEY SHOULD) they would agree it DEFINITELY deserves a place on such a list; at the very least more than two mentions :P

Amores Perros (a personal favourite)

The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp

Black Narcissus

Magnolia

The Wages Of Fear

Seven Samurai

Ikiru

The Leopard

M

Chinatown

12 Angry Men

Mulholland Drive

Ugetsu Monogatari

There Will Be Blood

The Double Life Of Veronique

Miller's Crossing

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

No Country For Old Men

Badlands

Blade Runner

North By Northwest

Rebecca

City Of God

Dr Strangelove

Pan's Labyrinth

American Beauty

The Sweet Hereafter

Spirited Away

The Shawshank Redemption

The Vanishing (Spoorloos)

Memento

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

The Three Colours Trilogy

The Third Man

LA Confidential

Sullivan's Travels

Nosferatu (1921)

Sunrise (1927)

Fantastic list.

But so many Powell and Pressburger movies yet The Red Shoes is not included? How come?

I really should've mentioned it earlier. The ballet sequence alone is more than enough to justify its inclusion. How the hell they shot it in 1948....

Archived