Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

Haha very true! Must remember that cardinal rule: not until he's holding a scarf over his head and looking slightly bemused...

ETA: this one has all the hallmarks of a Levy special though - out of nowhere, for a presumably good price, and makes perfect sense.

That haircut from Seattle, Yedlin, is a Spurs player as of tonight apparently

Hope he, and only he, has success there. Really want him to develop.

I knew they wouldn't be playing until the second game of the season, but not even back in training yet? Wenger being lenient I guess?

Don't know, but the German players on Bayern have a winter break so maybe Wenger decided to give our guys a few more days. They're back in training on Monday.

Very interesting read here for Man United, Liverpool and any lurking City fans - Mark Ogden interviewed on the ins and outs of why journalists concentrated more on what clubs in the USA Pre season tours and the process papers go through in choosing where to send them. Some fascinating details...

http://www.mcfcforum.com/latest-news/1487-why-has-mcfc-been-ignored-for-other-clubs-this-summer-mark-ogden-explains-all

ETA: that's also a very interesting insight into press narratives and why they happen. Have never seen Ogden so honest before.

That's a great insight not just for fans of those clubs but into how media/club relationships work in general...

It also makes a good point (without actually saying it) that even if everything else was equal, United are almost certainly going to get more back-page coverage than City this season purely because Van Gaal is much, much more story-friendly than Pellegrini. Of course, that cuts both ways, that's not always a good thing.

Indeed. That's one of the interesting things. Will this, apparently inevitable, greater interest in United hamper them? And am I alone in reading Ogden's implication that City are avoiding the intrusive media on purpose? I know Pellegrini likes it that way (having been told off the record by the head press woman - not putting her name because I know they google it every day) but is it actually official policy?

Never mind. When he returns, Wenger can hail him as "just like a new signing". Sometimes I think Arsene pays his wages just so that he can use that line every season.

Arsenal fans, you'll never guess who's injured again!

(you will guess)

I haven't checked who it is so genuinely don't know, but this is a fun game.

Ok, so it can't be Vermaelen anymore, he's gone.

Is it Wilshere?

Is it Ramsey?

Is it Rosicky?

Is it Walcott?

Is it Oxlade Chamberlain?

Is it Podolski?

Excellent interview with Liam Brady here about youth football and his years with the club, didn't know the various academies are divided up into categories. I liked this bit here

Edit: Also, this by NBC sports is rather funny.

“Barcelona have been very good with a sleight of hand themselves,” Brady interrupts, “whether it’s in Spain or outside the country. They’ve manoeuvred as much, if not more, than any other club. What we have there is a situation where we have a scout on the ground who knows Barcelona inside out. I didn’t get much involved in any of those deals — he would go straight to the club and say ‘this kid, we can get him out of Barcelona at 16’. We’ve done that four or five times but we’ve really only hit the jackpot so far with Fabregas. It’s bloody hard.

I haven't checked who it is so genuinely don't know, but this is a fun game.

Ok, so it can't be Vermaelen anymore, he's gone.

Is it Wilshere?

Is it Ramsey?

Is it Rosicky?

Is it Walcott?

Is it Oxlade Chamberlain?

Is it Podolski?

I actually don't know either, but I assumed we were talking about Abou Diaby.

Possible upcoming ban next summer is the reason for such transfer activity.

They got more for Sanchez, than for Fabregas, I believe. I think they got over 70mil euros for both of them combined. Others let for much less or for free. Suarez cost was not offically released, but a week ago or so Barcelona president stated it was "just" 80 mil. euros. Others were not that expensive Rakitic for 20mil euros was steal, IMO. Mathieu was a little overpriced (not because of ability, but because of age) for 20mil euros. Ter Stegen and Bravo came for 12 mil each. Board also wanted to buy someone to replace Alves, but otherwise we are set.

------------------------------------Ter Stegen/Bravo----------------------------------------

Alves/Montoya ---- Pique/Bartra - ---Mathieu/Vermaelen - ----Alba/Adriano

---------------------------------Busqets/Mascherano--------------------------------------

-----------Rakitic/Xavi ------------------------------------Iniesta/Rafinha----------------

-----Messi/Rafinha ----------Suarez/Pedro -----------Neymar/Deulofeu--------

Plus we have very talented young players like Samper,Halilovic or Grimaldo ready to help :). Really the only potential problem I see is at RB, if Alves form continues to drop.

That is a fearsome looking team. Not that they looked bad on paper last year but this is significantly improved. Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that Alves and Xavi had left Barca, but apparently thjose were just pre-WC rumours. But the options, all over the squad, that is tremendous.

Archived