Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

Nice to see he's not too important to respond to people on Twitter, though. What a professional!

i would not be shocked if next week at home v colorado ej is on the bench. if he takes the field i am sure that the supporters groups will let him have it. hell, i can expect a jab at him via tifo.

The fans never forget, do they? D-Ro still gets boos in Vancouver for that cheque writing thing he did in Toronto during his first spell there. That was before we even HAD a MLS team, not to mention that we HATE Toronto.

Someone asked Carl Robinson recently if he'd consider bringing Camilo back, and he said he'd be afraid that the fans would "run him out of town".

I've even heard someone singing "Nigel, Nigel Mediocre" at/to Nigel Reo -Coker recently--a song that started back in his time at West Ham, though I don't know if it has always been to the tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

The hell of it is EJ was not particularly terrible. I mean, he wasn't great, but the rest of the team was abysmal. Few would be thinking to bitch about EJ if he hadn't made it the story.

Former Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari debuted on Grêmio today losing 0-2 to their archrivals Internacional in a game in which his team supporters made a song mocking the death of former Internacional star Fernandão, that died in June in a helicopter accident aged 35. The combined score for Scolari's last 3 games is 1-12.

As for Arsenal, usually a good start is followed by the team falling apart, so they better not get too optimistic...

As for Arsenal, usually a good start is followed by the team falling apart, so they better not get too optimistic...

That was the case last season but I feel that it misrepresents Arsenal's 3 campaigns before that. We usually had terrible starts and then strong finishes to get back into the top 4 ahead of Spurs.

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that Arsenal always have a weak patch in their season at some point, whether it's at the start or at the end. I'm hopeful that with a stronger and deeper squad that we will have a more consistent season, but we're still very top heavy.

I'm happy with the strikers we have available - Giroud, Sanchez, Campbell and Sanogo are a solid squad of four up front, plus guys like Walcott who could also play there in a pinch. And the attacking midfield has plenty with Rosicky, Ozil, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Wilshere. Those should be enough to see us through a long and busy season.

The defence though is dodgy with a lack of central defenders, even if Wenger intends on developing Chambers into a CB, through a long season we need a fourth option and can't rely on Chambers if he needs to fill in for Debuchy. And the defensive midfield needs an upgrade. Arteta/Flamini are ok for the mid-table teams but against quality European opposition or top 4 EPL clubs, we likely need a stronger presence.

EDIT: Which, interestingly enough, could make us have another non-playing captain in Arteta to follow in Vermaelen's footsteps...

In one of the less surprising decisions of the summer, Miroslav Klose will no longer be playing for Germany.

Now some of the younger players better step up and beat his scoring records.

mueller will have it easily. he has 10 in two world cups. at only 24 i see him taking the crown in the next world cup. seeing him drop another six in russia is not outside the realm of possibility.

mueller will have it easily. he has 10 in two world cups. at only 24 i see him taking the crown in the next world cup. seeing him drop another six in russia is not outside the realm of possibility.

Sure, barring a serious drop in form or a move to a less attacking position he can probably beat the World Cup record. But he needs another 50 (!) to beat Klose's total goalscoring record at international level.

Incidentally, once he gets to 34 (he's currently at 22), he'll displace Fritz Walter in the top ten. He'll kinda have to justify that with more goals.:P

Although it's certainly on the table, it's way too early to tell and may not be that easy. At 24 he realistically has two more World Cups to go. All it takes is to miss one tournament through injury, or for Germany to not progress very far in either, and his task would become much more difficult.

Archived