Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

I know I shouldn't bet against Atletico and Simeone but I now have a hard time believing they will be able to keep up.

It's one thing to replace a Falcao if you have Diego Costa emerging, but him and Villa gone and no one of note returning, I see their side as diminished.

Atletico got Mandzukic this summer.

He may not fully replace Costa, only time will tell, but he definitely can't be considered as "no one of note" ;)

Forgot all about him. That does change things somewhat.

You'd rate him below Diego Costa, but you never know, I would have rated Diego Costa well below Falcao after the Colombian's showing at Porto and Madrid, but Costa proved pretty much his equal.

I know I shouldn't bet against Atletico and Simeone but I now have a hard time believing they will be able to keep up.

It's one thing to replace a Falcao if you have Diego Costa emerging, but him and Villa gone and no one of note returning, I see their side as diminished.

They've also added Griezmann to their squad.

West Ham's new signing Diego Poyet turns out to have sensational banter. This guy has been going through and retweeting a long stream of Poyet talking shit about Andy Carroll & Stewart Downing amongst others, and loads of LAD posts. Top guy

I couldn't help but have a look at the BBC predictions for the league, not too bothered about their prediction of where Arsenal will end up ( 5th, if you're curious), more so when a writer comes up with sentences like these:

"Ander Herrera will provide class in midfield and Luke Shaw youthful quality at left-back". It's like he can only sprout the most cliched nonsense about players. What does 'youthful quality' even mean?

Arsenal need to sign a quality central midfielder apparently.

Also the Leicester wording is a joke.

Forgot all about him. That does change things somewhat.

You'd rate him below Diego Costa, but you never know, I would have rated Diego Costa well below Falcao after the Colombian's showing at Porto and Madrid, but Costa proved pretty much his equal.

Mandzukic is definitely more proven than Costa. You could argue all day who is better but its close. Plus with the Griezmann addition you could say Atleti actually have a stronger side on paper than last year. Simeone is great as well so I think they'll be fighting for things just like last season.

West Ham's new signing Diego Poyet turns out to have sensational banter. This guy has been going through and retweeting a long stream of Poyet talking shit about Andy Carroll & Stewart Downing amongst others, and loads of LAD posts. Top guy

Real classy lad that Diego.

Lol'd at "Can a girl with decent banter and who isn't boring please come into my life please? Will be appreciated"

Give it till January ;)

Looks like Kompany has signed a 5 yr extension. Good move, great player.

I know :(

Though if I'm honest, I'm actually really optimistic we can avoid the injuries this year with Shad Forsythe bringing in all his sports science fitness stuff. We should have better monitoring and plans for the players though it'll be a few years before his program truly shows the results.

Real classy lad that Diego.

Lol'd at "Can a girl with decent banter and who isn't boring please come into my life please? Will be appreciated"

A 16 year old talking shit on Twitter? You don't say...

Not wise for a kid looking to make a career as a footballer, for sure, but I don't think he's burned any bridges. Years have passed since he made the tweets, and he's apologized to his new teammates, by all accounts. Big Andy's even made some jokes about it publicly.

Here's a link to the Physio Room website, which is worth a bookmark.

We're winning!

Though only Lallana, Flanagan and Markovic are going to be missed out of that lot.

Bookmarked. Thanks.

Yedlin to Spurs is apparently done for 4m but he'll remain with the Sounders through 2014 at least.

Looks like Kompany has signed a 5 yr extension. Good move, great player.

City have a habit of announcing good news in bunches. So this week we've had Mangala, Silva, and now Kompany. I think everyone else is accounted for but wouldn't be surprised by an Aguero contract extension as well.

In other news, I note that Man United have been drawn against MK Dons in the league cup. This amuses me.

Archived