Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

Hope this Eto'o to Liverpool shit is false. We definitely need another striker but not sure I want ole Samuel. Still hoping for Moreno to get wrapped up :(

Sounds like Moreno isn't playing tonight because he's on his way to Liverpool. It's being reported everywhere.

Sounds like Moreno isn't playing tonight because he's on his way to Liverpool. It's being reported everywhere.

Well this is joyous news.

Yea Reals team is ridiculous. I think Suarez is gonna tear it up at Barca though and Atleti have a really strong squad still. Hope its a close race with those 3 again

Something disturbing and confusing has happened during our last friendly vs Valencia - I've been really impressed by Ashley Young. He's looked increasingly comfortable at rwb as pre-season's gone on and his crossing's been absolutely on-point today.

Don't worry, he'll fall over in no time.

Don't worry, he'll fall over in no time.

At one point he got the ball on the edge of the box and there was a crowd of defenders just inside it so he could easily have charged into them and drawn a penalty but he crossed it! Good cross too and we nearly scored.

Something disturbing and confusing has happened during our last friendly vs Valencia - I've been really impressed by Ashley Young. He's looked increasingly comfortable at rwb as pre-season's gone on and his crossing's been absolutely on-point today.

Don't be weak. Keep up the hate.

Bwahahaha, Fellaini comes on for ten minutes and scores with seconds to play. To an enormous roar.

After being jeered and booed with every touch previously to that by an Old Trafford crowd bent on scapegoating him***

After being jeered and booed with every touch previously to that by an Old Trafford crowd bent on scapegoating him***

Nah, he was getting cheered from the start, although I'm pretty certain at least half of that was sarcastic. He did seem to win the crowd over as he went along though even in the short time he got, though. Even before he scored.

I do agree that he's been harshly chosen as a convenient scapegoat of the Moyes era, mind you.

And he's apparently only costing £12 million in the end. Surprisingly reasonable for a transfer saga that's dragged on this long.

We now have full backs. We just need another striker.

It sounds like Kelly, Toure and hopefully Borini will leave (Borini might still be a decent back-up, but it's hard to say no to 14m for him)

I'm not going to argue with all the predictions for Liverpool to miss out on the top 4. We're an unknown quantity without Suarez, and both Lallana and Markovic have been injured and missed almost all of the pre-season. I just hope we defy all expectations again.

ManU have a really soft start to the season. That could gift them some early momentum and confidence. It could also set them up for a devastating reversal when some difficult games arrive.

RM's team does look fearsome from midfield forward, although 4 of the back 5 seem suspect. Perhaps I'm being unfair, I have not actually watched them play.

Well this is joyous news.

Yea Reals team is ridiculous. I think Suarez is gonna tear it up at Barca though and Atleti have a really strong squad still. Hope its a close race with those 3 again

I know I shouldn't bet against Atletico and Simeone but I now have a hard time believing they will be able to keep up.

It's one thing to replace a Falcao if you have Diego Costa emerging, but him and Villa gone and no one of note returning, I see their side as diminished.

Meanwhile, both Madrid and Barca have super teams the like of which we've rarely seen. I wonder if Di Maria and Khedira will really stay with this team. I'm sure Ancelotti really wants them to, after all they're on the payroll so keep them if you can. They'll see plenty of time this year even if they're not starters. At the same time these guys may want to be starters, seeing how good they are, and clubs want them. And it would be cool to see them in the EPL.

I couldn't help but have a look at the BBC predictions for the league, not too bothered about their prediction of where Arsenal will end up ( 5th, if you're curious), more so when a writer comes up with sentences like these:

"Ander Herrera will provide class in midfield and Luke Shaw youthful quality at left-back". It's like he can only sprout the most cliched nonsense about players. What does 'youthful quality' even mean?

Archived