Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

I didn't have as much of an issue with Addy's height as I did with the way he played Robert. The accent was wrong and he came across as a Flea Bottom thug who made it big, completely ignoring the fact that Robert was the eldest son of an aristocratic family with the education that entailed. It missed the mark on many counts.

I think Rufus Sewell would have been a better fit if Rufus had put on extra weight for the role.

Let us not forget Robert had his way of speaking. Always laughing, been rude and everything. Sure, he was a noble, but he was never a polite one. He spent time with whores, fighting among soldiers, etc. I think the accent fits well. For example, I appreciate Dillane is doing a similar accent for Stannis.

Probably the biggest recast we would have at this stage is Rickon after his long absence. But I doubt they would do that, Art is a pretty good actor and I doubt they want to lose him.

I think a few people feared Bran would be recast too, given that he has sprouted like a tree (no pun intended :p) over the last few seasons. I'm not convinced that will happen though.

Mark Addy is 1,79m (5'10.5) : http://www.celebheights.com/s/Mark-Addy-972.html

Rhys Parry Jones's height isn't on the Internet. At least, I haven't been able to find it.

I haven't been able to find a height for RPJ either. I was trying to find a picture with him and some of the other actors in Ironclad but I couldn't find one. I'll just have to watch it again and see if I can figure it out.

Let us not forget Robert had his way of speaking. Always laughing, been rude and everything. Sure, he was a noble, but he was never a polite one. He spent time with whores, fighting among soldiers, etc. I think the accent fits well. For example, I appreciate Dillane is doing a similar accent for Stannis.

A posh accent doesn't necessarily equal "polite" and "well mannered".

I think it would have been more effective and believable had King Robert sounded less like a peasant. The soldiers who were closest to him were aristocrats too and I doubt whether he hung around whores for the conversation, so that doesn't explain why he should speak like a peasant.

It's easier to forgive Dillane his accent because he hit the mark in every other way, but I still wish the actors on the show in general would speak in accents that are appropriate to the characters' origin and social class. For example, the Starks all speaking with different accents kind of grates on me.

I wonder if we will see any big re-casts in the future because of contract arguments or accidents.

Still praying that Ian Gelder isn't one of them. We've entered the last month of filming (possibly) and there's been no sighting of him, which I find improbable if Kevan hasn't been written out or recast.

A posh accent doesn't necessarily equal "polite" and "well mannered".

I think it would have been more effective and believable had King Robert sounded less like a peasant. The soldiers who were closest to him were aristocrats too and I doubt whether he hung around whores for the conversation, so that doesn't explain why he should speak like a peasant.

It's easier to forgive Dillane his accent because he hit the mark in every other way, but I still wish the actors on the show in general would speak in accents that are appropriate to the characters' origin and social class. For example, the Starks all speaking with different accents kind of grates on me.

Heh, I suppose being non-British is a benefit here, because I can barely tell anyone's accent apart.

Despite Aidan's voice (or whatever the hell that was in Season 4) I still think he is the prefect LF, Jon snow has always been a "meh" character for me he's never been one of my favorites but I still like him. Kit does an okay job but he's not the best on the show.

Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance, Mark Addy, Conleth Hill, Harry Lloyd, Lena Headey, Liam Cunningham, Maisie Williams and Rory McCann have all been perfect in their roles for me and I couldn't imagine anyone else playing them.

For me there aren't really any characters I would want to see re-casted

I've grown to love everyone on the show - but initially I thought that the weakest casting was Theon. I don't mind Yara now, since I do think that might be the Iron Island picture of beauty in some way.

I loved Shae, that's exactly how I had pictured her.

Currently I'm not loving Ramsey - I definitely pictured him as more of a, I don't know, menacing character. Most of the time I think he looks more like a Hobbit. I don't know who I'd see replacing him though, Benedict Cumberbatch? Like in Star Trek?

I did not love Oberyn in the books NEARLY as much as I loved him on the show, I think that's entirely due to Pedro Pascal. Entirely.

I did not like Theon, but the actor was great for Reek, however.

I pictured Sansa way more beautiful then Sophie Turner (just my taste in women ;) )

Mance Ryder seems to me more like a thug than a king-beyond-the-wall.

I would recast multiple characters if I could turn back time. Charlize Theron as Cersei, Nicholas Hoult as Theon Greyjoy... I could go on all day.

The only a few actors from the show that occupy my head canon are:

• Conan Stevens - Gregor Clegane - Man, what a find, it's a damn shame he couldn't stick around, he embodied the Mountain.
  • Charles Dance - Tywin Lannister - Again, just amazing.
  • Jerome Flynn - Bronn - Actually better than the books
  • Iain Glen - Jorah Mormont - Again, way better than the book version, who I am not a fan of at all.
  • Jason Mamoa - Brilliant performance, the addition of the tongstration is among the best, even better when you consider it was his idea.
  • Conleth Hill - Brilliant, perfect image of the Spider.
  • Kristian Nairn - Hodor - Yep.
  • Clive Mantle - GreatJon Umber - So damn good.

Am I the only one who pictures Joseph Mawle (played Benjen) as Eddard? He looked far more like him.

Archived