Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

• 3 weeks later...

No, not joking... It's just my opinion...I am aware of their popularity amongst viewers (especially on this forum)...But personally speaking, I don't care at all for Jerome Flynn and I am no longer a fan of Pedro Pascal...

I don't "hate their characters" one bit... In fact, I don't hate any of the characters on the show. I just don't care for either of the actors playing the two that I mentioned...I admit that they are talented actors, I just don't care for either of them as human beings...I have my reasons...

Luckily, Pedro is no longer on the show and Jerome doesn't get a lot of screentime so I can just fast-forward the little time he gets when I get around to watching it on playback... ♥

What the fuck? LOL!

Hi guys,

I really, really want to see Chris Eccleston as Kevan Lannister. I imagine him played as a similar character to Chris's 28 Days Later military role, and he looks a little like Charles Dance.

I also imagine Terence Stamp in the show somewhere. I don't care where, he just seems to belong in Westaros, as a high born or military character.

To an extent, I do agree that the way she is written is pretty poor, but I can't discount other things.

Well, yes, I think her height makes her look a lot older; as with Richard Madden's Robb, it makes some of her more immature decisions make less sense in the show. I know she is tall in the books, but not, I think, as statuesque as Sophie - I think Sophie's age, as well as height, count against the performance of such a young girl (although granted her bumped up age in the show may be a necessary evil given the content...). For example, in the show's version of her wedding's consummation , you get a sense that if Tyrion had tried touch her she could have been like 'SANSA SMASH!' :box: , *rampages through KL knocking down Red Keep*

And no, your'e absolutely right, I have no idea about how people grow or height....what is this thing of which you speak? Who is teen-ager? What is yeeeaaar? :shocked: :dunno:

Reading this made my day LOL

Eh. Meh. Er. Uh. I um.... I think I love pretty much every casting..... I guess maybe-could be- possibly.... I can't think of anyone.

I mean even if I hate the character, the actor/actress seems to play them so well you don't want to recast them.... Maybe Theon? Eh, Alfie's grown on me. Maybe Lorras? I don't know. Too hard! >:P

Aidan Gillen as LF is just WAY too suspicious and evil looking. I really think that if they gave that role to an actor similar to Javier Bardem (not Javier himself, because he doesn't really look the part) who looks just like every other guy, but can be really kniving, smart and sinister inside (watch No Country for Old Men and Skyfall to see what I'm talking about). It makes Ned in season 1 look like a moron who trusts this slimy, moustache twirling asshole with his own life. In the books LF had a good reputation for being the lowborn master of coin, who you can always be dependant on. Varys and Tyrion were the only ones who caught up with this. In the show everyone can. I think that's the main problem with him. Aidan Gillen is not a bad actor, he's been good in many things like as mentioned before, The Wire. If directed and written better he would've been OK I guess, but nevertheless, too suspicious looking.

This may be minor, but I wish they got a more charismatic actor to play Ser Barristan. Now, I don't have a big problem with Ian McEhelenly or however you spell his name, but, he just looks tired whenever I see him on screen. I know he's old, but there are old actors who can pull off this "veteran knight" gimmick Selmy has going for himself in the books, and still be charismatic. I guess we haven't seen his full range yet, since I presume we'll see much more of him next season, but so far he isn't making much of an impression on me.

King Robert, Theon, Asha, Renly and (I know I'm in the minority on this one) Joffrey. Jack Gleeson's acting makes me cringe.

Alfie Allen is giving one of the best performances on the show. Yeah, he does not look like book!Theon. But that's also true of Peter Dinklage re book!Tyrion and Iain Glen re: book Jorah, yet nobody is complaining.

Same thing with Mark Addy, he doesn't have the height, but he was fantastic as Robert. And Jack Gleeson's acting was great, though he also did not look the part of book!Joffrey.

I loved Mark Addy's acting, but I can understand the other 4 names.

I actually think Mark is a good actor. I just didn't think he fit the character as described in the books. Apart from his appearance not matching the way Robert was described in the books, his accent made Robert come across like some rags to riches thug from Flea Bottom when the character was actually an educated first born son of an aristocratic family.

I disagree. She's pretty much the same character in the show except for the name change. Gemma Whelan doesn't look anything like the description of Asha in the books and I think she fails to convey Asha's charisma. The characters I listed are miscast in my opinion for similar reasons, especially Renly.

I think the script writing is more of a problem in Theon's case. He comes across as more of a buffoon in the show than he does in the books.

I disagree. She's pretty much the same character in the show except for the name change. Gemma Whelan doesn't look anything like the description of Asha in the books and I think she fails to convey Asha's charisma. The characters I listed are miscast in my opinion for similar reasons, especially Renly.

I think the script writing is more of a problem in Theon's case. He comes across as more of a buffoon in the show than he does in the books.

I disagree as well. Yara comes as rather serious and lacks Asha's sense of humour, and her practice of affection towards Theon was out of character too.

But we shall see how they play her out on the next series.

While I was concerned about Alfie Allen's casting initially, mostly based on his appearance and how drastically different it is from Theon in the books, I think he's excellent. Show Theon's character is a bit of a departure from book Theon anyway, as I find him much more sympathetic and pathetic.

Like most of you, I struggle most with Lena Heady as Cersei, but I think she's done a fine job. I also love Gemma Whelan, but feel pretty saddened that the Yara of the show is such a deviation from the Asha of the books. I think that's less about Gemma, though, and more about how the character has been written for TV.

Asha is a problem of the writing.

Agree and disagree. While she's similar in some aspects, I find her lack of humor quite bad. Also, Gemma is not as half as attractive as she should be to play Asha/Yara, but they've done this with all the Greyjoys so far.

Asha's attractiveness in the books is not because of her physical appearance (Theon, when he thinks she's just some woman, describes her as having too large a nose, amongst other things), it's her personality (which has also led to many fans overlooking her actual descriptors and drawing her as a supermodel pirate queen). Yara isn't written that way, though; she's dour and serious, and that's what Whelan plays.

Asha's attractiveness in the books is not because of her physical appearance (Theon, when he thinks she's just some woman, describes her as having too large a nose, amongst other things), it's her personality (which has also led to many fans overlooking her actual descriptors and drawing her as a supermodel pirate queen). Yara isn't written that way, though; she's dour and serious, and that's what Whelan plays.

Still, she's described as attractive. I know many extremly beautiful women with large noses. Asha is longlegged, lean, and fit. That's, at least, attractive for me. She seems to be quite tall as well.

Archived