Westeros Experts League 2014

JJ Lannister

Groz is still alive in Survivor. One of the problems with Survivor as a feeder is that two of the four remaining teams are old friends of mine I cajoled into joining at the last minute. I don't intend to mention Experts to either should they win.

Groz is still alive in Survivor. One of the problems with Survivor as a feeder is that two of the four remaining teams are old friends of mine I cajoled into joining at the last minute. I don't intend to mention Experts to either should they win.

So Groz is still alive in survivor and Mya is the 2 seed in Thunderdome. I think those are the only opportunities they have have for a block. 4 of the remaining 6 teams in Westeros A are already in Experts, so there's a good chance that could be a block. Also POTN and I are also alive in Thunderdome for another block. Phillip is going to make the playoffs in Outlaw so that's another. The playoffs are gonna make this very interesting.

So Groz is still alive in survivor and Mya is the 2 seed in Thunderdome. I think those are the only opportunities they have have for a block. 4 of the remaining 6 teams in Westeros A are already in Experts, so there's a good chance that could be a block. Also POTN and I are also alive in Thunderdome for another block. Phillip is going to make the playoffs in Outlaw so that's another. The playoffs are gonna make this very interesting.

I am also first in Dynasty. That's the one team I made sure was accurate every week since it is good.

And Dynasty has been around longer than Outlaw and Thunderdome. It should have a higher ranking then both of those (maybe not Thunderdome since that is such a big league so doing well there is a good showing of "fantasy skill" - but it easier to be screwed there if your first pick turns in to a child abusing scumbag).

If I remember correctly any member of experts that wins another league regardless of order of inclusion into exports blocks their jaxomization? Yes?

How would it be determined who to invite into the Experts' league if the feeder leagues are not prioritized? There are more feeder league winners than available openings in Experts every year. Or am I misunderstanding?

So, I guess what I'm getting at is that it would still matter just which feeder league a person wins :dunno:

Bronn is correct. In the past, the order of the list was always followed. A Jaxomed owner could only block his relegation if he won a league that was in line to count. So for example, if a Jaxomed owner won the 5th ranked league, he would need 2 of the first 4 to be discounted for some reason (i.e. one person wins 3 of the top leagues, 2 of the first leagues are won by other experts members, etc).

Bronn is correct. In the past, the order of the list was always followed. A Jaxomed owner could only block his relegation if he won a league that was in line to count. So for example, if a Jaxomed owner won the 5th ranked league, he would need 2 of the first 4 to be discounted for some reason (i.e. one person wins 3 of the top leagues, 2 of the first leagues are won by other experts members, etc).

Cool. Thanks for clarifying guys. Does the order of priority I have given the leagues look fair for this year? Anyone else have a different idea on what you think it should be?

The issue is defining what the priority should be. I would say that Thunderdome is probably the toughest to win in that there are 16 owners and most of them are very good. Westeros A is pretty much Experts caliber based on the number of Experts veterans in it. I am a bit more dubious about Westeros C and B seeing the trades that come out of those leagues.

Survivor is a lark and weird, though winning requires both luck AND skill. I don't know as much about Outlaw.

WJ always felt it was important to get new blood in Experts and to reward the actual season, and I do see the value in that.

But I feel that it is most important to get owners who are engaged and reliable Forum members and those are most likely to be found in Dynasty and Thunderdome. If that means a new shark comes to town and has to spend a year or two paying dues, then so be it.

But ultimately, I think the call is yours. Any list that has Survivor at the bottom is most likely fine by me. Honestly, I think that once you declare that a list is the list then barring a compelling reason to change, it should not change.

JJ's recollection is that Jaxomed owners take precedence over the list. That is not my recollection, but I am willing to be told my recollection is inaccurate if it is.

Ah, I was sort of misunderstanding JJ. Thanks!

Cool. Thanks for clarifying guys. Does the order of priority I have given the leagues look fair for this year? Anyone else have a different idea on what you think it should be?

I agree with Bronn. The list looks fine to me. I think consistency is probably the biggest key.

For what it's worth, I would vote for a lower weighting for A/B/C than for the rest, as (although I love playing in them) those leagues were not open to all when they were first created. I think Thunderdome should be one of the higher priority ones, but IDK what everyone else's perception of that league is.

Also, I have to play Jaime? Goddammit.

Does the order of priority I have given the leagues look fair for this year? Anyone else have a different idea on what you think it should be?

I'm biased, but the order you have is the one I would use. And it matches the order we had previously (since Westeros 1, 2, 3 basically equals Westeros A, B, C).

I've always felt that the leagues that most closely mirror Experts should have top priority. With the caveat that I think anything with a keeper element should be near the bottom, and Survivor should be last.

Reason I drop a league like Dynasty is because (1) 1-2 good picks can give somebody an advantage for years, and (2) I don't think everyone fully understands/commits to the format, and it leads to some pretty huge mistakes by owners which can skew the league.

For what it's worth, I would vote for a lower weighting for A/B/C than for the rest, as (although I love playing in them) those leagues were not open to all when they were first created. I think Thunderdome should be one of the higher priority ones, but IDK what everyone else's perception of that league is.

That's not accurate. B and C were open to everybody.

A was invite only......but I also think its the most challenging league on the board.

Also, I have to play Jaime? Goddammit.

Have an interesting situation with Jaime's team. He's on vacation without internet access and asked me to make his waiver moves and set his lineup. I'm pretty torn on who to start at WR3/4. Will be 2 of Watkins, Landry, and Moncrief. Mainly trying to decide if he should use Watkins, after he's been so bad/injured the past few weeks.

Hope I don't mess it up - would feel really bad if I made a decision that cost him the game.

I think the opposite on thunderdome; the league has been largely dead, there's almost no trading in it and most of the time it's basically luck as to whether you win anything. One injury usually wrecks a team.

I was incredibly happy all night long tonight until Jay Cutler tore me apart in crap time. I have 54 with five players already accounted for, and Jamie has 30 with one player off his board. Damn...

That would be JJ with 30 not Jaime, but yeah, gotta love garbage time points!

Archived